PDA

View Full Version : Crafting a Magical Item (Help)

Deviston
2012-02-20, 11:58 AM
I found the rules for making magical items and just about pooped. Combining multiple similar effects into one item is far cheaper than making separate items. Common sense is because you lose more if/when it is stolen/destroyed. Makes sense. Well I made an item and the price is just ridiculous. Mind you the DM allowed me to add the caveat of it being class specific (obviously to my class) which reduces the whole price by 30%. Correct me if I'm wrong in my calculations.

Base item:
Boots of Swift Passage: 5000gp

Items combined:
Quicksilver Boots: 3500gp
Dimension Stride Boots: 2000gp
Boots of Jumping: 2500gp
Boots of Agile Leaping: 600gp

Now the rules state the most costly item is at full price. The second most costly is at 75% and further items are at half. That brings us to...

Full:
Boots of Swift Passage: 5000gp
75%:
Quicksilver Boots: 2625gp
50%:
Dimension Stride Boots: 1000gp
Boots of Jumping: 1250gp
Boots of Agile Leaping: 300gp

Total= 10175gp
30% For being monk only= 6105g

Is this... right? Oh, and all items are found in the Magic Item Compendium, pages in order of appearance alphabetically.
76, 77, 78, 94, and 120.

jojolagger
2012-02-20, 01:54 PM
Now the rules state the most costly item is at full price. The second most costly is at 75% and further items are at half. That brings us to...

IIRC (I'm AFB right now) the 75% second, further half, only applies to staffs.
I'll check you numbers later when I can dig through my books.

Deviston
2012-02-20, 02:53 PM
o.O
yeah that's weird, i'm looking at the rule and its says nothing about staves. Let's see if I can link to SRD.

Multiple Similar Abilities (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magicItems/magicItemCreation.html)

EDIT: The next line is slightly confusing (Multiple Different Abilities) because it's talking about abilities that are not similar, then talks about items that take up a body slot.
So we have a rule for similar abilities that do not take up a body slot.
A rule for different abilities that do take up a body slot.
Now what about similar abilities that do take up a body slot?

I used color to show association :) I feel clever :)

Veklim
2012-02-20, 04:37 PM
My friend and I have debated the magical crafting system in D&D for years, and after careful inspection of many items listed throughout the books, we came to a conclusion which makes some modest amount of sense to us.

Items which do not take up a body slot are cheaper when they have multiple similar abilities.

Items which do take up a body slot are more expensive when they have multiple different abilities.

The above examples are the exception, not the rule. For all other items, calculate prices as normal (just add up the costs together).

It's worked for us so far!