PDA

View Full Version : Wall of Text, D&D 3.5 Spell (PEACH, WIP)

rweird
2012-02-20, 01:00 PM
This is a semi humorous spell I thought of and decided to make.

Wall of Text
Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind Effecting, (Language Dependent for Trolling and Interesting Text)]
Level: Cleric 6, Bard 4, Sorcerer/Wizard 5,
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. +10 ft./level)
Effect: One 5 ft. cube of text/level forming a unbroken wall, (Interesting or Trolling) or 2 10 foot cubes of text/level forming an unbroken wall (Bland)
Duration: 1 hour/level (D) (Bland), 10 minutes/level (D) (Interesting) or Concentration, up to 1 minute/level (Trolling)
Saving Throw: See Text
Spell Resistance: See Text

With this spell, you create a wall of words, at the casting you choose the type of text, chosen from the options below:
Bland: This version forms a wall of bland text that anyone reading cannot find anything interesting in. The letters swirl around providing 20% miss chance for all attacks that go through the wall for 5 ft, and a 50% miss chance for all attacks going through 10 or more ft. of text. You cannot see through more than 20 ft. of text. All versions of the spell provide the cover benefit however the bland wall of text provides no other benefits. This version allows no save and doesn't allow spell resistance, even if the save or is passed or spell resistance negates the effect the text is still there and provides cover, though the subject is not effected by any other ability of the spell.

Interesting: This version of the spell creates swirling letters in a language or in languages the caster can write in. The letters form something that the anyone that reads it finds highly engaging. Anyone that can read one or more of the languages the spell was made in within 30 ft. of any part of the wall must make a will save or be fascinated for the duration of the spell, if the save succeeds, the person is unaffected, however, anything that would bring new attention to the wall requires a new save. If the caster fails to overcome the creatures spell resistance is not effected by the fascination of the Wall of Text effect for the duration of the spell.

Trolling: This version of the spell creates swirling letters and characters in any language the caster knows and chooses to have be included at the casting that attempt to provoke, tease, and annoy anyone excepts for the caster that reads it. Any creature that can read one or more language that the spell is cast in within 30 ft. of at part of the wall must make a will save or approach in the quickest movement mode possible, ignoring any creature though trying to avoid any apparent hazard. Once within 5 ft. of the wall the subject must reply for 1d4+1/previous reply, while replying, the subject counts as dazed. Once the reply is completed, the wall grows another 5 ft. cube at any part of the wall that will keep it unbroken and within the spells range. The subject is entitled to another will save after replying with a -1 penalty/previous reply to stop replying, if not, the subject must reply again and make another will save. This continues until the caster ceases concentrating on the spell or a save is passed. If anything is done to bring attention to the wall of text, a subject that passed there save must make a new one with a +4 bonus. If it is failed the subject counts as being effected for the first time, (replies take 1d4 rounds, the penalty is reset) however, the time it takes to reply and penalty decreases by two instead of one the second time, three the third time etc. Once the save is passed the person always has the +4 bonus one there saves. A person that passed there save can point out that the wall is trolling, giving each person that understands a +4 bonus on there save. This may only happen once to each subject effected per time effected. If the caster fails to overcome spell resistance, the creature is not effected for the duration of the spell.

Focus: A math textbook with over 100 pages costing 15 GP. (Bland)
A adventure novel written in the language effected costing 50 GP/language. (Interesting)
A book of insults written in trolls blood in the languages effected costing 250 GP/language.

This is my first attempt at homebrew on GitP. I hope you like it.

EDIT: I guess I made Wall of Text, a wall of text, I hope it's the interesting variant. :smalltongue:

Thanks to willpell for adding this spell:

Text Denial; Lexicon Refused
Abjuration, Bard 1, Sorcerer (not Wizard) 2, Cleric 4
Range: Touch
Effect: Creature touched
Duration: 1 round per five caster levels, minimum 1 round
The target of the spell loses patience with all Language-Dependent illusion and abjuration spells; he is permanently immune to any such spell which he encounters during this spell's duration. This does not affect future castings of the same spell. Wizards may not prepare or cast this spell, nor may clerics whose deities grant access to the Knowledge domain (or who have selected that domain while not worshipping a deity).

Sypher667
2012-02-20, 03:00 PM
I guess you trolled, and that I failed my will save...

(I like it)

Mulletmanalive
2012-02-20, 03:02 PM
You may as well summarise the effects as "like a Fog Cloud spell except as above. In addition..."

Saves on words...

Trolling really just forces you to save or be stunned for one round each turn. If i'm reading this right, though it does have increasing DCs so that's something.

rweird
2012-02-20, 03:59 PM
It isn't like fog cloud, as in the blocks line of sight beyond 20 ft. More like web excepts it doesn't hamper movement.

Hanuman
2012-09-23, 08:26 PM
While I generally am not interested in this spell and would probably never use it as-is...

Frankly the adjustable focus for effect is brilliant, augmenting a spell with the goldcost of the focus, that's really something.

ericgrau
2012-09-23, 08:41 PM
<== fascinated for 5 rounds.

<passes save>

<flees>

rweird
2012-09-24, 05:40 AM
This is meant to humorous, though I probably never would use it myself either, though I wanted it to be usable. I completely forgot about it until you posted. Maybe I should make a lesser and greater version.

Hanuman
2012-09-25, 05:05 AM
I think you should consider more adaptations on using gold cost, different foci and different requirement synergies as augments.

How magic SHOULD work sometimes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS-exXgIeeg
(Pirates of the Caribbean 4 Spoilers)

rweird
2012-09-25, 05:41 AM
Do you mean in general or for this in specific?

Hanuman
2012-09-25, 08:37 PM
Oh not this of course, but it does make the potential for spells far more interesting and complicated.

For instance, you could fashion a pathfinder trait or a feat to let the caster eschew material swap one f or mf for another of the same cost as long as they had similar weights (not more than x5 weight or volume, or alternatively an item of 1lb maximum can be in exchange for an object of insignificant weight) so for a resurrection spell you could have this as the list of gems, among other things:
Clearest bright green emerald; blue-white, canary, pink, brown, or blue diamond; jacinth
(5)Emerald; white, black, or fire opal; blue sapphire; fiery yellow or rich purple corundum; blue or black star sapphire; star ruby

Because they are no more than 5x the weight of the diamonds, and for (2) you would need 5 of them. Alternatively you could exchange a valuable or magic ring, or a pair of embroidered and jeweled gloves.

And the lower the cost and the more weight the base component is the more options you have for substitution.

rweird
2012-09-26, 06:20 AM
Okay, thanks. I'll keep in in mind. Not sure why it should be pathfinder though.

Hanuman
2012-09-26, 04:32 PM
Generally traits aren't used in 3.5.

Additionally, powers and spells could have different effects like your 3 tier spell here. Its nice flavor and crunch.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-09-26, 04:58 PM
I made something a while ago that you may enjoy, and that could be considered to be related.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241240

rweird
2012-09-26, 10:42 PM
Chainsaw Hobbit: 1 in 10 internet trolls should be able to cast wall of text (trolling version only) 1/day. :smalltongue:

Hanuman: If it has to be pathfinder I'm afraid I'd have to bow out, I have never played pathfinder and have virtually no knowledge of it. Sorry.

Hanuman
2012-09-27, 12:57 AM
It's 3.5 but more balanced and some of the core mechanics in it are lumped together when they are redundant.

willpell
2012-09-27, 09:53 AM
Now that I think about it, actually, I bet the ruler of my campaign world (well, of the largest-by-far human nation) would totally cast this spell. He's a pretty meta guy, and this seems like it'd be right up his alley. Plus my game is full of Illumians, Truenamers, Words of Creation and such, so this spell would fit in nicely.

Generally traits aren't used in 3.5.

Well there are the ones in Unearthed Arcana.

rweird
2012-09-27, 01:54 PM
Willpell: Then feel free to use it, I'm kind of surprised someone would though.

Hanuman: I know, it just is that I haven't looked through PF so I don't really know the differences. If I get time, maybe I will.

Roderick_BR
2012-09-27, 03:09 PM
The spell TL;DR counters and dispell Wall of Text.

rweird
2012-09-27, 03:15 PM
Has someone actually made the spell TL;DR? Personally, I think it would make you immune to the effects of it besides it providing cover (possibly that), though it wouldn't effect the people that read it.

Hanuman
2012-09-27, 07:47 PM
Generally, UA isn't used in 3.5

Well, flaws yes but that's because it's +1 feat and is accepted commonly.

TuggyNE
2012-09-27, 09:56 PM

... What? Flaws, traits, variant races, alternate class features, bloodlines, variant classes, LA buyoff, sometimes even variant combat rules or alternate die-rolling rules. I've seen various people make use of most of UA!

willpell
2012-09-27, 10:09 PM
Has someone actually made the spell TL;DR?

Duration: 1 round per five caster levels
The target of the spell loses patience with all Language-Dependent illusion and abjuration spells; he is permanently immune to any such spell which he encounters during this spell's duration. This does not affect future castings of the same spell. Wizards may not prepare or cast this spell, nor may clerics whose deities grant access to the Knowledge domain (or who have selected that domain while not worshipping a deity).

Everything is used in 3.5 somewhere by someone. But I think most campaigns at least use Level Buyoff and a few of the simpler ACFs. Most of UA is in the SRD after all; players may well use it without even knowing it's originally from UA.

rweird
2012-09-28, 05:41 AM
Duration: 1 round per five caster levels

I like TD;LR. I guess it would block wall of text, for 1 round/5 CL, does that mean you have to be 5th level to get any bonus, or does it have a minimum of 1 round? Would it be okay for me to add it to the opening post with thanks to Willpell?

willpell
2012-09-28, 10:28 AM
Go right ahead, and yes minimum 1 round. I hate spells that are 1st level but useless at first level (see: Sanctuary), so I'd definitely never make one that you're allowed to cast but which does literally nothing.

Debihuman
2012-09-28, 11:59 AM
I believe you have some text missing after 20% in Bland:

The letters swirl around providing 20% for all attacks that go through the wall for 5 ft, and a 50% miss chance for all attacks going through 10 or more ft. of text.

Debby

rweird
2012-09-28, 03:27 PM
Willpell: Thanks, added TD;LR with minimum of 1 round added at the end of the duration section.

Debihuman: I miss that entirely (pun intended), fixed.

Hanuman
2012-09-28, 03:29 PM
... What? Flaws, traits, variant races, alternate class features, bloodlines, variant classes, LA buyoff, sometimes even variant combat rules or alternate die-rolling rules. I've seen various people make use of most of UA!

More used than BoEF, yup.

rweird
2012-09-28, 04:16 PM
I use UA in pretty much all my not core only games (for new people). The SRD is almost always allowed, though for 3.5, I'd probably make it a feat if I make it.