PDA

View Full Version : spell-Undeniable gravity

moogloogle
2012-02-20, 02:46 PM
What are the limits of this spell? Does it only stop magically flying creatures? Or could I ground something with wings?

http://dndtools.eu/spells/miniatures-handbook--75/undeniable-gravity--2003/

My bard is kinda turning out to be a saboteur. Her other 1st lvl spells are:
Animate Rope
Disguise Self
Erase
Feather Fall
Unseen Servant.

If you have an alternative suggestion, feel free to offer that as well. I haven't played enough bards to know which are the most useful. I really want Tasha's hideous laughter, but not sure what to give up for it....

Since the description of Undeniable gravity says "that creature descends at a speed of 60 feet per round but does not fall (and thus is not subject to falling damage)." could I essentially use this spell as an alternative to feather fall?

Mystify
2012-02-20, 02:58 PM
It can work on something with wings. It says a flying creature, and clarifies that using the fly spell counts, but anything flying works.
It does not work as a substitute for feather fall. First, feather fall is an immediate action, so you can cast it when you start to fall. This would lack that aspect. Second, you can only cast it on a flying creature,so you would have to be flying first, which kinda negates the need for the feather fall in the first place. Thirdly, the slow fall only works on its initial descent from flight. Once you touch the ground, it doesn't protect you from falling further.

moogloogle
2012-02-20, 03:03 PM
It can work on something with wings. It says a flying creature, and clarifies that using the fly spell counts, but anything flying works.
It does not work as a substitute for feather fall. First, feather fall is an immediate action, so you can cast it when you start to fall. This would lack that aspect. Second, you can only cast it on a flying creature,so you would have to be flying first, which kinda negates the need for the feather fall in the first place. Thirdly, the slow fall only works on its initial descent from flight. Once you touch the ground, it doesn't protect you from falling further.

Somehow my word document got shifted from 2nd lvl to 1st level spells too. FF is 1st lvl, UG is 2nd. whoops :P
Thank you for the very thorough answer :)

Mystify
2012-02-20, 03:09 PM
Somehow my word document got shifted from 2nd lvl to 1st level spells too. FF is 1st lvl, UG is 2nd. whoops :P
Thank you for the very thorough answer :)

I didn't mention that because I thought you intended to get a different 1st level spell, and use this as your replacement, having it serve double duty.