PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar with Earthdawn 2nd Edition?

Tesla_pasta
2012-02-20, 03:03 PM
Sooooo i just picked up the source book for Earthdawn 2nd edition in a used book store, and it looks really fun. Has anyone on the forums played it before? if so, what problems have you found with the system? Are there any books I NEED other than the player's guide?
I haven't had a chance to run a session yet, but I'd like to get a game going. Is there anywhere I can find premade adventures for earthdawn so I can have some reference material?

Thanks!

Diskhotep
2012-02-22, 07:12 PM
Realistically the companion is the only book you'll need to have, as it helps flesh out the disciplines through 15th Circle, and has a whole bunch of spells, talent knacks, and other fun things. That said, you'll find any of the regional books and Races of Barsaive books useful.

Before investing too heavily though, you may want to check out the third edition, published by Redbrick/Mongoose. They've consolidated the information from the previous material into in my opinion a more balanced edition. Plus the artwork is far superior and does a better job of evoking the feeling of the setting.

tensai_oni
2012-02-23, 04:01 AM
I only played the first edition. Its mechanics are clunky and at times very unintuitive, but on the other hand they are very well meshed together with the fluff. To the extent I haven't seen in any other RPG - adepts, circles, talents and even legend points ("XP") exist in character as much as out of character. It's very unique.

Overall Earthdawn has an awesome setting which I recommend, and rather awkward crunch that I hear gets a little better in 2nd edition and a lot better in 3rd. Hear is the key word, because I might be wrong.