PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Last Airbender solo game

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-20, 05:52 PM
Greetings, true believers.
This weekend (or maybe next week) I'm planning to try a little solo game centered on Prince Zuko's adventures taking place before Book 1: Water of the cartoon. These are the sad days of Zuko's exile.
I'm planning to start with Zuko's ship needing some repairs, which would take at least a couple days. While it's being repaired, Zuko encounters some sort of fortune-teller which gives him clues that might be helpful to finally locate the Avatar.
So could you advise me any fun moments to include into the adventure? I was thinking about maybe starting the whole Blue Spirit business from here, based on some legend like Katara's Painted Lady trick. And maybe an encounter with a Swampbender. And definitely uncle Iroh being awesome.

Studoku
2012-02-22, 06:29 AM
Don't forget a hilarious incident involving the destruction of cabbages.

pasko77
2012-02-22, 06:40 AM
Beware not to degenerate uncle Iroh into a DMPC.
It's a very easy mistake to make.

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-22, 01:40 PM
Of course, CABBAGES! How could I ever forget about them!
Yeah, I feel the desire to make that mistake already. The good uncle is just too cool.

Dingle
2012-02-22, 02:38 PM
for the uncle, if you keep in mind what he's trying to (secretly) teach Zuko at each juncture, you should probably be fine for DMPC iroh.

also, he's just taking a holiday with his nephew.

Zuko is currently trying to gain his honour and his father's acceptance by capturing the Avatar.

Iroh (imho) probably believes one of 2 things:
He's never going to find the avatar, let alone capture him.
OR
The avatar will find Zuko when he's ready to be the fire lord the world needs.

Either way, one of iroh's biggest goals will be to show zuko that honourable is not a title given to you, but something you become when you do what's right.

compare "war room" zuko, to Zuko in the agni-kai against Zhao, and try to figure out what he has to learn between the two agni-kais.

campaign ideas:
fire nation soldiers are benefiting from being DIShonourable, zuko rectifies the situation.
eg. excessive looting, raping and pillaging.
deserters (could be good or bad depending)
unfairly shifting blame to/framing a superior/subordinate

a visit to the (deserted) temple of the sun wariors
and/or
a story of dragon-slaying (let the player be iroh :smallbiggrin: (or exaggerated iroh cause it's a story:smalltongue:), and occasionally narrate bits)

a visit to an air temple, to see how they lived in harmony with everything.

a visit to Roku's temple, to learn about the avatar, and about an honourable member of the fire nation who disagreed with the war.

undercover entry to Ba-sing-se, to enquire about the avatar.

a fight with some pirates

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-22, 02:46 PM
Thanks a lot! I think I'll try some of these variants, probably an air temple or Roku's shrine, or maybe both... probably both. Because understanding your enemy is crucial to defeating him, and understanding the Avatar would be something Iroh would like his nephew to achieve, I think.

Dingle
2012-02-22, 04:22 PM
more ideas:

A battle with Hakoda of the water tribe. 1 fire nation ship vs a navy of the water tribe. The winning move might be not to play.
eg. run away, or ground your ship to draw them into a land battle

a meeting with jeong-jeong the deserter, possibly involving a very informative fight.

where does he get his blue spirit mask?
or learn to fight with those swords?

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-22, 05:52 PM
Ah, Hakoda. Splendid idea.
I've thought about Jeong-Jeong as well. Although the old man probably wouldn't want to see anyone, but Zuko doesn't really take "no" for an answer. Maybe he could be the one who helps Zuko create his Blue Spirit identity. Wouldn't surprise me at all.