PDA

View Full Version : My image of a bizzarre new feat

OblivionBlade
2012-02-20, 07:00 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Chaos_Mage_(3.5e_Class)
This is the base class i'm using as a requirement

feat: Channeller
Requirements : Cleric 11, Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11, Chaos mage 11, or pretty much any class that gains power through an external (higher plane) source.

What it does: Anyone who takes this feat, will recieve a permanent -2 to will saves, in addition to all other penalties aligned to a extraplanar source.
The character may attempt to find a source of extraplanar power, be it a fallen angel, a sealed archdemon, or even an imprisoned god.

If the character picks an entity, they must make a dc 20 will save, which if they fail, they simply cannot search again until the next dawn, but if they succeed, they must compare alignment to the entity. If they are within 1 step of the entity, they may latch onto it, gaining access to a fraction of whatever power it controls. If they are 2 or more steps away from the entity, they will be instead slain. They may not attempt to chain to that entity again.

(E.G if a level 15 Lawful good cleric takes this feat, then attempts to chain to an archdemon, the cleric dies, due to their alignment conflicting each other.)

(E.G if a level 17 Lawful evil wizard takes the feat, then attempts to to chain to the same archdemon, he makes a dc 20 will save, if he succeeds, he recieves an extra spell slot to each spell level the demon has access to. The wizard may not cast spells above his spell level.)

After chaining to an entity, They may use it's power to cast their spells, with a free spell slot per day, however, they may tap it for more power, with each cast requiring a dc 15 will save, +x, where x is the amount of times you have cast a spell with the entity's power. Upon failing that save, you die. You may not use the entity's power to do things against it's nature, aka, you cannot force an avatar of destruction to heal someone, but you may make it blow something up.

If the character dies while possessing this feat, it does not go to it's alignment's afterlife, instead, they are drawn to the entity's home plane, where they are judged. If the entity belives that the character used the power in a way it approves, it will allow the character to be raised. Otherwise, the character is completely annihilated. Poof. Gone.

If the character is approved by the entity, they may cast 2 free spells instead of 1, and upon being slain again, may make a dc 10 + amount of overkill damage, if they succeed, they may cast a singular spell before returning to the plane of the entity.

Soooo... what do you think?

wiimanclassic
2012-02-20, 11:11 PM
Sorcerer 11, Wizard 11,

pretty much any class that gains power through an external (higher plane) source.
Arcane is power from within not without. So how do arcane classes qualify if they don't get power from higher sources at all?

TuggyNE
2012-02-20, 11:44 PM
I have some issues with this:

Where does a fallen angel get the power to utterly annihilate a soul? This isn't necessarily something they normally can do.
What does the entity gain from this?
There's no reason to kill someone for being out of alignment; simply forbid any attempted link to an entity of insufficiently close alignment.
Does the will save increase for casting extra spells ever go away? (As written, it simply increases indefinitely, so you will fail a save sometime.)
When must the save for an extra slot be made for a prepared caster: when preparing other spells, when attempting to prepare an extra spell at a later time, or when attempting to spontaneously cast an extra spell without preparing?
I don't understand the last paragraph at all.

Togath
2012-02-21, 10:28 AM
Arcane is power from within not without. So how do arcane classes qualify if they don't get power from higher sources at all?

Also, even for a cleric this feat seems odd, if it's a cleric of a deity then they already know who they gain thier power from, if it's a cleric of a cause then they gain their power through force of will, neither one really meshs well with finding some inprisoned outsider somewhere, Other then perhaps something like a cleric of the silver flame, who worships an object or force without knowing it's source.

OblivionBlade
2012-02-21, 06:42 PM
I'm sorry if you didn't understnd my feat, as you can tell, i'm new at this. The idea is that if you chain to an object, even if it's arcane magic, assuming you chain to like a quori or a beholder or something arcane.

The extra save requirement would allow more potential power, but it would reset upon the next dawn.

Yes, clerics probably would not be allowed to chain to another diety besides your own.

The final paragraph simply states that say you chain to a god of destruction.

You then use your power to blow up several cities. The god, judging your soul, thinks that is a good use of it's power, and gives you more control over the power you gained.

:edit also, if you die, you get a free spell cast via energy overflow.

Dust
2012-02-21, 07:33 PM
Why did you choose to design this as a feat instead of a prestige class? What was your goal with that?

Adrayll
2012-02-21, 07:44 PM
This seems like it would fit far better as a prestige class than a feat. It has all the hallmarks. Multiple features, significant gain, relatively profound shift in paradigm of how the class works/gains power.

CharityB
2012-02-21, 10:09 PM
Where does a fallen angel get the power to utterly annihilate a soul? This isn't necessarily something they normally can do.

In FF2 they seem to have almost complete dominion over souls that belong to them (Fiendish Codex 2). They can turn them into things, enslave them, turn them into devils or demons, or even use them as fuel. It's not that farfetched to think that there's something in the Pact Primeval that says that, "If some nutjob tries to drain away my powers and use them for something I despise, I can zap him like a bug."

OblivionBlade
2012-02-22, 02:24 PM
Why did you choose to design this as a feat instead of a prestige class? What was your goal with that?

This seems like it would fit far better as a prestige class than a feat. It has all the hallmarks. Multiple features, significant gain, relatively profound shift in paradigm of how the class works/gains power.
You're right. I just decided that i'd be better off starting it with a feat as opposed to jumping straight into a prestige class

In FF2 they seem to have almost complete dominion over souls that belong to them (Fiendish Codex 2). They can turn them into things, enslave them, turn them into devils or demons, or even use them as fuel. It's not that farfetched to think that there's something in the Pact Primeval that says that, "If some nutjob tries to drain away my powers and use them for something I despise, I can zap him like a bug."

Maybe i should add in some flarvor.
Say you chain to a fallen angel. You die, and pop up in front of him, odds are, he's not going to let you go after you drained his power for something he dislikes, and will inprison you in his plane for about your natural lifespan. therefore, you are essentailly removed from the game, as it will not allow you to be raised.

OblivionBlade
2012-02-22, 02:52 PM
By request, i have changed this to a prestige class.

Channeller

Requirements to take: Ablility to cast 6th level arcane or psionic spells.

What it does: Anyone who takes this prestige class, will recieve a permanent -2 to will saves, in addition to all other penalties aligned to a extraplanar source.
The character may attempt to find a source of extraplanar power, be it a fallen angel, a sealed archdemon, or even an imprisoned god.

If the character picks an entity, they must make a dc 20 will save, which if they fail, they simply cannot search again until the next dawn, but if they succeed, they must compare alignment to the entity.

If they are within 1 step of the entity, they may latch onto it, gaining access to a fraction of whatever power it controls. If they are 2 or more steps away from the entity, they will be instead slain. They may not attempt to chain to that entity again. Upon successful chaining to an entity, you gain immunity to all mental effects, due to your mind being essentially behind a extraplanar proxy.

(E.G if a level 15 Lawful good cleric takes this feat, then attempts to chain to an archdemon, the cleric dies, due to their alignment conflicting each other.)

(E.G if a level 17 Lawful evil wizard takes the feat, then attempts to to chain to the same archdemon, he makes a dc 20 will save, if he succeeds, he recieves an extra spell slot to each spell level the demon has access to. The wizard may not cast spells above his spell level.)

After chaining to an entity, They may use it's power to cast their spells, with a free spell slot per day, however, they may tap it for more power, with each cast requiring a dc 15 will save, +x, where x is the amount of times you have cast a spell with the entity's power That day. Upon failing that save, you are stunned for 2x rounds. You may not use the entity's power to do things against it's nature, aka, you cannot force an avatar of destruction to heal someone, but you may make it blow something up, or kill innocents.

If the character dies while possessing this class, it does not go to it's alignment's afterlife, instead, they are drawn to the entity's home plane, where they are judged. If the entity belives that the character used the power in a way it approves, it will allow the character to be raised. If it dislikes what the character has done, it makes a decision based on it's alignment.

If it is lawful, it imprisons you for Vd4 years, where V = 1 if good, 2 if neutral, and 6 If evil.

If it is neutral, it eats Vd2 levels, then lets you go.

If it is chaotic, it lets you go if it's chaotic, lowers your stats by 1d4 each if neutral, or destroys your soul if evil.

Upon finishing your debt to the entity, you get sent to your alignment's plane of afterlife, and may not attempt to chain to that diety's power again.

If the character is approved by the entity, they may cast 2 free spells instead of 1, and upon being slain again, may make a 1d4 + (# of hit points under -10 your character has) Will save, if they do, they may cast a single spell of any level, just before dying.

Does this clarify things?

Dust
2012-02-22, 03:14 PM
I don't think anyone requested you turn this into a prestige class. We just noted it might work better as one. If that doesn't suit your vision, then don't do it.

Which is fine, because that thing you just posted isn't a prestige class. :smalltongue:

OblivionBlade
2012-02-22, 04:06 PM
>_> oh well then, it's not then. i just want critique. i had a good diea one day, and thought "what the hell, why not throw it out onto the web."

Adrayll
2012-02-22, 06:37 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124688
Here's a link to a list of homebrew resources (it's also stickied to the top of this board). It's a great place to start for making homebrew. Hope it helps!