PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Types of bonuses to stats/attacks

Ryulin18
2012-02-20, 07:38 PM
Trying to work out all the different kinds of bonuses to stats and attacks. But I can't find the source anywhere.

Enhancement - comes from normal items and some templates
Racial - From Race
Untyped - Everyone's favourite
Insight?
Divine?
Magical?

What else are there!?!?!

Medic!
2012-02-20, 07:48 PM
Inherent and Morale, as well as Size, Profane/Sacred

FMArthur
2012-02-20, 07:52 PM
Just take a look at this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes

Pretty sure the only ones there that never modify attacks and stats are Deflection, Dodge, Natural Armor, Resistance and Shield bonuses.

Ryulin18
2012-02-20, 08:07 PM
Just take a look at this:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#modifierTypes

Well thats a very precise, well ordered list that google didn't find :smallmad:

Any ideas of which ones stack for your ability scores? My DM says there is only Racial and enhancement. I want another magical item that will stack with my Belt of charisma +6

Greenish
2012-02-20, 08:21 PM
Any ideas of which ones stack for your ability scores? My DM says there is only Racial and enhancement. I want another magical item that will stack with my Belt of charisma +6Bonuses from different sources stack with each other.

The problem you'll face, though, that magic item bonuses to stats only come as Enhancement or Inherent bonuses. An artificer can change the stat type of a magic item, but that's pretty cheesy (and liable to be shot down by the DM).

The default option is the Tome of Leadership and Influence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tomeofLeadershipandInfluence).

Ryulin18
2012-02-20, 08:40 PM
Thanks Greenish, strolled the internet for 4 hours now to find a way but the only way I can see is with your inherent bonus from the tome.

Welp! that sucks. Any ideas anyone?

Greenish
2012-02-20, 08:42 PM
Thanks Greenish, strolled the internet for 4 hours now to find a way but the only way I can see is with your inherent bonus from the tome.

Welp! that sucks. Any ideas anyone?There are other methods for reaching given goal than just pumping the raw ability score. Tainted Scholar for NI casting stat, Marshal dip for skills, and so on. What do you wish to accomplish?

Ryulin18
2012-02-20, 08:49 PM
What do you wish to accomplish?

Higher stat in charisma. Currently a sorcerer @16th with;

18 base stat
22 from levels
28 with +6 items

(will be 32 with tome +4)

Is that silly by the way?

Medic!
2012-02-20, 09:17 PM
There are a few classes you can take levels in to get it higher. Some Bloodlines from Unearthed Arcana will get you a small ability score boost (I don't recall exactly but I don't think any of them give more than +1 to a specific stat) without wasting caster levels.

Some of the racial paragons will increase your cha or a chosen stat by 2, but they all will cost you 1 CL and 3 total levels to accomplish it. Risen Martyr will get you some cha increases, as will Dragon Disciple. There are probably others but I don't remember which. VoP will let you increase your cha, but eventually you'll be able to do better with magic items. Epic feats can give ability score increases, but you aren't quite there yet.

*Note that a lot of these are considered sub-optimal options for a character over-all*

Rossebay
2012-02-20, 10:10 PM
Sacred/Profane?
"This hat harnesses the power of the very gods themselves!", etc.

"Size" modifier, ifyaknowwhatImean...

Haha. Anyway, Sacred and Profane can apply to ability scores. I've seen it in a few places (can't recall any off of the top of my head. I'd suggest trying BoED and BoVD).

TheMooch
2012-02-20, 10:26 PM
you can grab a +3 for being venerable

Vendle
2012-02-23, 05:00 PM
The types that work for ability scores that I've seen used in official print are:
Inherent
Enhancement
Alchemical
Racial

And my own group includes the use of Sacred/Profane, as Rossebay suggested.

Coidzor
2012-02-23, 06:06 PM
Bonuses from different sources stack with each other.

The problem you'll face, though, that magic item bonuses to stats only come as Enhancement or Inherent bonuses. An artificer can change the stat type of a magic item, but that's pretty cheesy (and liable to be shot down by the DM).

The default option is the Tome of Leadership and Influence (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#tomeofLeadershipandInfluence).

There's some rare examples of sacred/profane stat bonii, I seem to recall.

Ryulin18
2012-02-23, 06:16 PM
Thanks guys. Looking still for the sacred and profane enhancers but wrangled my DM into letting our party gnome make me a +4 charisma potion that lasts for 1 month at a time.

Chronos
2012-02-23, 09:46 PM
There's precedent for a competence bonus to an ability score, too (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20041210b) (see "Ability Boon").

And the Book of Exalted Deeds also has perfection bonuses, though I can't remember if any of them apply to ability scores.

Quoth Coidzor:
There's some rare examples of sacred/profane stat bonii, I seem to recall. What's a "bonius"?

Coidzor
2012-02-24, 01:33 AM
Quoth Coidzor:What's a "bonius"?

It's what skeletons use to see, a boney eye.

Andion Isurand
2012-02-24, 02:05 AM
INNER BEAUTY is a Bard 4 spell in Fiendish Codex I, grants a creature of good alignment with a +4 sacred bonus to Dexterity and Charisma for 10/min level

VISAGE OF THE DEITY, GREATER is a Cleric 9 spell from Spell Compendium
Increases ability scores congruent with half-celestial or half-fiendish stat increases (personal range, lasting 1 round/level)

RING OF THE WHITE WYRM found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20030323a) can grant abilities akin to a half-white dragon for 1 hour a day... which means +2 charisma.

kulosle
2012-02-24, 02:16 AM
Size bonus apply to Ability scores. Their is a cleric spell in core that gives a sacred boost to str I think. I swear there was a spell somewhere that gave an insight boost to any state. It was a transmutation spell for sure. One for each ability. No it's not the owls wisdom, cats grace, etc spells. Grrr i can't remember where it is. I'm searching through books i'll let you know if i find anything.