PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] modified vampire template

Niek
2012-02-20, 08:00 PM
Below is my attempt to create a template for my own version of the vampire. Its been greatly pared down from the MM template, except for the spawning mechanic, which is now easier, at the cost of making it much harder to feed safely. Spelllike abilities are being offloaded into a separate "vampiric blood mage" base class, not posted here.

I'm trying to figure out the proper level adjustment for this. I'm aiming for +3. Any thoughts?

Modified Vampire Template
• Can be applied to any humanoid(human)
• Type changes to undead(augmented humanoid)
• All current and future Hit Dice increase to d12s
• Natural armor bonus +4
• Damage reduction(Ex): A vampire has damage reduction 5/magic. A vampire’s natural weapons are treated as magic for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
• Resistances(Ex): a vampire has resistance cold 10 and electricity 10
• Turn Resistance(Ex): A vampire has +4 turn resistance
• Blood Dependency: A vampire gains a blood pool, if it does not have one already. This blood pool has a maximum capacity of the vampire’s hit die times three more than its Charisma modifier (minimum 1 per hit die). For each pint of blood the vampire drinks, the vampire gains 1 blood point. Blood must be drunk within 1 minute of its removal from a living, intelligent creature to have any effect. Blood may be kept fresh using the Gentle Repose spell. Each day a vampire loses 1 blood point. If a vampire’s blood pool is completely empty, its hit points immediately drop to 0 and it enters torpor(see below).
• Torpor(Ex): A vampire that falls to 0 hit points is not destroyed, unlike other undead. Instead, it enters a state of dormancy, during which it is helpless and senseless but takes no further damage. After an hour has passed, a vampire in torpor may spend 5 blood points to gain 1 hit point, after which it is no longer helpless and can act normally. If laid on or buried in soil from its homeland, no blood points need to be spent. A vampire may not awake from torpor if it is in direct sunlight, submerged in water, on consecrated ground, or has a wooden stake driven into its heart. The only way to permanently destroy a vampire is to stake it through the heart, cut off its head, and fill its mouth with holy wafers.
• Vampiric Wasting(Su): A creature whose blood is drunk by a vampire must make a fortitude save (DC 10+1/2 the vampire’s hit die +the vampire’s Cha modifier) or be afflicted with Vampiric Wasting. The blood must have been removed from the creature’s body no longer than 1 minute before being drunk and be of at least 8 oz in volume for the curse to take effect. The symptoms of Vampiric Wasting are similar to those of tuberculosis; however it is a curse rather than a disease. Each day the afflicted creature must make another fortitude save or take 1d6 points of Constitution damage. A human slain by this curse rises as a vampire after 1 day with a number of blood points equal to his or her Cha modifier (minimum 1)
• Command Spawn(Su): A vampire can issue inviolable commands to other vampires born from its Vampiric Wasting curse. The commanded vampire must obey the command to the best of their abilities, though it is possible for them to rebel through obeying the letter of the command rather than the intent. It is possible to resist a command, though even attempting to do so costs the vampire a number of blood points equal to the difference between its Cha modifier and that of its commander (minimum 1). The commanded vampire must then make a will save (DC 10+1/2 the commander’s hit die + the commander’s Cha modifier). If successful, the vampire need not obey the resisted order or any others received in the next 24 hours.
• Vampire Weaknesses(Su): A vampire may not cast spells while in direct sunlight unless it spends blood points equal to twice the spell level. A vampire who is submerged in water loses 5 blood points per round. In addition, a vampire must always attempt a saving throw against divine magic, even if the spell effect is harmless or beneficial. Finally, a vampire cannot perform any of the following actions under its own power: crossing running water, entering a dwelling uninvited, come within 5 feet of garlic or holy symbols prominently displayed.
• Feats: A vampire gains Alertness as a bonus feat if it doesn’t have it already
• Abilities: Str +4 Dex +2 Cha +2. As an undead, a vampire has no constitution score.
• Skills: Vampires have a +4 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as base creature.

Tacitus
2012-02-20, 11:23 PM
I'm not particularly well versed in balance concerns, but on my reading something of a more technical nature popped out at me.

• Can be applied to any humanoid(human)

So... Humans, Illumians, Skulks, and thats it. No elf vampires. No ogre vampires. No halfling vampires that act like freaky little children. Is this your intent to make only human vampires, or a typo?

Other than that, I'm not really balance-minded. I like the torpor bit, as I'm somewhat of a fan of how WoD runs vampires, but I'd think the part about not truly being dead when you're killed would be fairly strong. Not lich phylactery strong or ghost rejuvenation strong, but I'd suggest to anyone with a better view of balance take a good long look at it when evaluating LA.

Grinner
2012-02-20, 11:48 PM
All in all, I do like it, for it brings a level of focus to the vampire template.

Niek
2012-02-21, 12:05 AM
I'm not particularly well versed in balance concerns, but on my reading something of a more technical nature popped out at me.

So... Humans, Illumians, Skulks, and thats it. No elf vampires. No ogre vampires. No halfling vampires that act like freaky little children. Is this your intent to make only human vampires, or a typo?

Other than that, I'm not really balance-minded. I like the torpor bit, as I'm somewhat of a fan of how WoD runs vampires, but I'd think the part about not truly being dead when you're killed would be fairly strong. Not lich phylactery strong or ghost rejuvenation strong, but I'd suggest to anyone with a better view of balance take a good long look at it when evaluating LA.

The setting I'm primarily statting this for has vampirism as a human-specific curse due to fluff reasons. Theres no reason not to extend it to other humanoids, monstrous humanoids, and giants in other settings though.