PDA

View Full Version : Gnomes!

koboldish
2012-02-20, 09:22 PM
Our DM is starting a new campaign in a few days. Some other players and I decided to all run gnomes. We have a sorcerer, a barbarian, and a factotum. Suggestions for builds would be helpful. Also, what is an epic clan name for a gnome?:smallbiggrin:

Grytorm
2012-02-20, 09:26 PM
Groinbiter?

Wyntonian
2012-02-20, 09:37 PM
Groinbiter?

Oh god...I hurt my face laughing. You glorious bastard.

There's some good illusion magic a gnome can work, what with that racial bonus and all.

Barbarian will be a little tricky, because you're small, so you have smaller weapons and you also have a strength penalty. Both bad things for a barbarian. Going Whirling Frenzy (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm#rageVariantWhirlingFrenzy ) may offset that to some degree.

Factotum.... Eh, I can't think of any gnome-specific tricks. Take a couple fonts of inspiration, pump int and laissez les bon temps roule?

FMArthur
2012-02-20, 09:52 PM
Make sure to take a look at the awesome whisper gnome subrace in Races of Stone. It's not for Sorcerers because of that Charisma penalty, but it's generally just a really strong race otherwise.

For the Factotum: Gnomes can take the Confound the Big Folk feat in Races of the Wild, which among other things lets you make creatures 2 sizes larger than you flat-footed to your attacks. With a way to reduce size further (spells, or Ring of Reduction for permanent Reduce Person, or Ring of Shrinking for limited-per-day Reduce Person) you can get that on Medium opponents, which is most things.

This is significant because Iaijutsu Focus is a favourite skill of Factotums, and its damage bonus is conditional on flat-footedness. It's also conditional on drawing your weapons before every attack, and gnomes can treat gnomish quickrazors as martial weapons, making the race doubly useful at the tactic.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-02-21, 01:44 AM
Make sure your sorcerer can cast Enlarge Person, so the world can behold the unruly terror of the giant raging gnome! :smallbiggrin:

Zombulian
2012-02-21, 02:34 AM
Well I know there is something for barbarians that is called "ferocity" or something. It might be a feat... I dunno. It pumps dex tho, so you can focus that? As for the factotum, I would recommend the Tinker Gnome race. They get a bonus to int as well as being awesome because Gnome. I hope to see a lot of awesome here, I love Gnomes :smallbiggrin:

Cwymbran-San
2012-02-21, 03:11 AM
Suggestion for a guild name: Diet Dragon-Fodder. You know, only half the size of the usual meals...

Bah, sorry, i just cannot stand gnomes. Just ignore this :smallsmile:

BillyBobJoe
2012-02-21, 03:28 AM
Gnomish Paladin of Freedom! With a Dire Badger mount! And hamminess!

... Actually, that would be fairly interesting. I'd say try it! Or Gnomish Bard, if you want to hold to the stereotype. :smallyuk::smalltongue: For the barbarian, I may suggest taking three levels of Stoneblessed:Goliath, so you can take Mountain Rage. Mountain Rage grows your size to Large. Regardless of original size. Then have the sorcerer cast enlarge person and RARR HUGE SIZED GNOME.

Rhaegar14
2012-02-21, 05:52 AM
For the Sorcerer, Shadowcraft Mage is always fun, and with its original fluff requires the character be a gnome.

Radar
2012-02-21, 06:01 AM
For the Sorcerer there is the Shadowcraft Mage PrC. Even without much optimization, it is immensly useful, since it expands your spells known in a way. Just make sure you take Arcane Thesis: Silent Image and Highten Spell. Earth Spell is optional, but highly recommended. If you want a specific build, then here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864158/Shadowcraft_Illusionist_=_Killer_Gnome!) is The Killer Gnome.

Mystify
2012-02-21, 06:24 AM
Groinbiter?
Now I need to figure out a good way to give a gnome a bite attack, then use the aforementioned confound the big folks and reduce person combo to sneak attack with the bite...

Doorhandle
2012-02-21, 06:37 AM
Well, if this was pathfinder , you could use the Animal fury rage power and the urban barbarian archtype..., so you could sneak attack while raging...

"Groinbiter! Sic Balls!"

Cwymbran-San
2012-02-21, 07:20 AM
Now I need to figure out a good way to give a gnome a bite attack, then use the aforementioned confound the big folks and reduce person combo to sneak attack with the bite...

There was a PrC in ToB that allowed the char to shift, adopting a bite attack.

Garwain
2012-02-21, 09:21 AM
There was a PrC in ToB that allowed the char to shift, adopting a bite attack.

Stage 3 Drift from the Geomancer (Complete Divine p41)

Cwymbran-San
2012-02-21, 09:32 AM
Stage 3 Drift from the Geomancer (Complete Divine p41)

Ah, well, i was thinking of Bloodclaw Master, adding extra power to a hilarious build :smalltongue:

Red_Dog
2012-02-21, 09:42 AM

Divine Crusader/Cleric/Some domain access => Hunger domain. Gives you a bite attack, permanently.

Also=>

Oh god...I hurt my face laughing.
I second that.
================================================== =====>
This aside, = >
Frenzied Berserker Gnome. Small creature bonuses help you hide. Sneak in to enemy camp, allies will come and res you next morning, or when enemies stopped screaming.

It matters NOT what size of weapon you are wielding. As long as it is in both hands, your PA bonus will cleave anyone a new #$*!Hole. ^^

Mystify
2012-02-21, 09:47 AM
I didn't mean to imply that it would be hard to get a bite on a gnome. "Figure out a good way to" should more accurately have been "Decide on a w good ay to".

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-21, 10:31 AM
The Other Killer Gnome (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872846/I_May_Be_Tiny,_But_Youre_Dead:_the_other,_melee_Ki ller_Gnome,_for_your_pleasure.) seems pretty appropriate for this kind of game

BillyBobJoe
2012-02-21, 02:22 PM
... Am I the only person who finds it ironic that the poster named koboldish is in an all Gnome party? :smalltongue:

Treblain
2012-02-21, 03:38 PM
Gnome with the feat Trivial Knowledge can roll twice for the Knowledge checks for Knowledge Devotion. You can make a pretty good gnome Snowflake Wardance bard with a dip in Cloistered Cleric to get Knowledge Devotion, Animal Devotion, and the Charm Domain granted power.

DDogwood
2012-02-22, 10:31 PM
I have a few name suggestions:

Metro, Gnome Bard

Also Guillaume, Jerome, Colm, Rohm, Schaum, Bloehm, and Strome. Wizards are good because they can be a Gnome with a Tome.

Ardantis
2012-02-23, 01:24 AM
Here's the silly combo for the gnome barbarian (or any barbarian with a Str penalty.)

Ferocity is a barbarian ACF from the Cityscape web enhancement. It replaces your +4 Con bonus during Rage with a +4 Dex bonus, and it makes your Rage an immediate action (activate on opponent's turn!)

Frantic Rage is a feat from one of the Eberron books, which says that you may choose, at the beginning of a Rage, to replace your +4 Str bonus with a +4 Dex bonus.

Both abilities increase the alternate bonuses when your Rage upgrades.

Yes, this does mean a gnome who can Rage to gain +8 Dexterity, which I'm sure you can put to any number of uses (check the X stat to Y bonus thread around here somewhere).

Bear in mind that one of the weird requirements for Frantic Rage is access to the Madness domain, which penalizes your Wisdom and requires either a dip into Cleric or a dip into an arcane class with the feat Arcane Disciple.

Rough requirements, but a very silly Barbarian indeed.

Laniius
2012-02-23, 01:53 AM
Gnomish Paladin of Freedom! With a Dire Badger mount! And hamminess!

... Actually, that would be fairly interesting. I'd say try it! Or Gnomish Bard, if you want to hold to the stereotype. :smallyuk::smalltongue: For the barbarian, I may suggest taking three levels of Stoneblessed:Goliath, so you can take Mountain Rage. Mountain Rage grows your size to Large. Regardless of original size. Then have the sorcerer cast enlarge person and RARR HUGE SIZED GNOME.

Actually, dire badgers are terrifying and small sized races make the best mounted combatants in the context of dungeon crawls, unless the dungeons are explicity sized for small creatures.

TuggyNE
2012-02-23, 02:20 AM
... Am I the only person who finds it ironic that the poster named koboldish is in an all Gnome party? :smalltongue:

You aren't, I thought the same thing. :smallcool: