PDA

View Full Version : Most Ridiculous use of Prestidigitation?

Rossebay
2012-02-20, 09:47 PM
I'd like to hear your stories! I've never made any major uses of it. Mostly lighting myself "aflame" in order to make dramatic entrances and intimidate checks.

But, some of you must have stories.

TroubleBrewing
2012-02-20, 09:49 PM
I used it to make a Gnome that sneezed flower petals.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-02-20, 11:03 PM
Umm, Not one I'm exactly proud of, but "Tastee Paste" we made a lot of money from town to town, no repeat business though, although it may have been because "Tastee Paste" was recoloured and flavoured, umm, fecal matter.

Since then my conscience has led us to only turn water into wine. Oh, and pretending we have the big magic item when we really didn't.

Jack Zander
2012-02-20, 11:03 PM
I've seen it used to "curse" someone into having a pink shadow. It didn't really matter that the duration was only 1 hour. The target didn't know that at the time.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-02-20, 11:08 PM
Only thing I've really used it for was magic umbrellas to keep dry while riding.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-02-20, 11:17 PM
Only thing I've really used it for was magic umbrellas to keep dry while riding.

... I can't believe my group thought of candy poo before "keep dry" but then again we did make a cleansing spell. Trims, Cleans, Washes and Drys.

Doorhandle
2012-02-20, 11:54 PM
Well, I have yet to use it in-game, but my bard is going to set up a landromat buissness as soon as it is convenient.

Calanon
2012-02-21, 12:08 AM
Umm, Not one I'm exactly proud of, but "Tastee Paste" we made a lot of money from town to town, no repeat business though, although it may have been because "Tastee Paste" was recoloured and flavoured, umm, fecal matter.

... The hell? :smallconfused:

Could have been worse thoough, you could have used humanoids, good outsiders, Dragons, Composite undead, you know all that nasteh stuff :smallwink:

kulosle
2012-02-21, 12:47 AM
We were playing an epic level evil campaign and all of us had to have one of the evil things from the book of vile darkness, addictions or what have you. I chose sadism. We were the last group of evil people left and the world was hunting for us, but i had to torture some one or else i suffered bad side affects. So while invisble and had a bunch of non detection crap on me i use prestidigitation to lure kids away out of the city and the protective magics it had, by making rocks sparkle and talk or bounce etc etc.

Zaq
2012-02-21, 02:26 AM
I have never actually done this, but I have always wanted to use the "flavor" option to make someone taste like elf while fighting a bulette.

Unfortunately, I've never fought a bulette while playing a character who has Prestidigitation.

Someday . . .

Eldan
2012-02-21, 02:33 AM
There was an old thread on how to destroy the world using Prestidigitation.

The basic thing is this: you can heat an object by, IIRC, 15 degrees. No upper limit. So you take something with a ridiculously high melting point and start heating it. Again and again and again. (Use NPCs with at-will items, or something). Until it is hot enough that the atmosphere ignites.

Less ridiculous: my wizard was once stranded without equipment and prestidigitation as his only spell. He used it to make coloured smoke come out of a merchant's nose and trap that smoke in a bottle. One "I have your soul in this bottle and will only return it to you if..." later, he was equipped again.

kardar233
2012-02-21, 03:58 AM

The basic thing is this: you can heat an object by, IIRC, 15 degrees. No upper limit. So you take something with a ridiculously high melting point and start heating it. Again and again and again. (Use NPCs with at-will items, or something). Until it is hot enough that the atmosphere ignites.

Pretty sure it was determined that the stacking rules disallow that. It's why I prefer to trick the DM into allowing Truly Immovable Rods.

Kalmageddon
2012-02-21, 06:07 AM
Turning bad guys pink when the only spell I had left in a fight was Prestidigitation. Sometimes it even provided a pratical advantage as the bad guy went berserker on my now-useless wizard and left the rest of the party alone.

Mystify
2012-02-21, 06:16 AM
I baked it into a belt of strength that was keyed to only work on rage. The barbarian rages, and he turns green. The character himself also went from str 6 to str 50, and medium-> huge, in this process....

panaikhan
2012-02-21, 08:10 AM
I saw it used to great effect with a homebrew cloth-like material from Eberron.
Basically the cloth was mildly magical in itself, and could be 'tie-dyed' with a use of Prestidigitation.
The capping genius of this however, was the matching broach that caused the material to continually cycle through colours when activated.

Wookie-ranger
2012-02-21, 09:20 AM
We convinced the warlord of a neighboring country to come to a diplomatic meeting by preparing his favorite meal, that he had not had since childhood (he was bored once and burned down the forest where the special herb grew)

We knew about this by stealing his journal, taking to the local Druid circle and questioning his former cook (who may have been dead).

long quest just to get an old recipe for someones favorite meal. and the final act was made possible by the use of cantrip.
good times, it was a lot of fun.

NOhara24
2012-02-21, 10:09 AM
The party wizard used it to win a drinking contest against a dwarf. No one likes drinking urine. Room Temperature.

Taelas
2012-02-21, 10:19 AM
I had a female paladin with a custom earring of Prestidigitation which she used to maintain her hairstyle and general hygiene.

kulosle
2012-02-21, 07:42 PM
How much would a magic item be that could cast prestidigitation at will? That sounds like the funnest item ever.

Hylas
2012-02-21, 08:25 PM
How much would a magic item be that could cast prestidigitation at will? That sounds like the funnest item ever.

In both Pathfinder and 3.5 the cost for a ring/other magic item slot would be Spell level (0th level, so this is priced at 1/2) x caster level (1, I assume) x 2,000 gp = 1000 GP. If you're looking for a magic item that doesn't use a slot, such a bag or a rock, then it'll be 2000 GP.

Pretty good investment for anyone who wants to be up to no good.

Myou
2012-02-21, 08:40 PM

Less ridiculous: my wizard was once stranded without equipment and prestidigitation as his only spell. He used it to make coloured smoke come out of a merchant's nose and trap that smoke in a bottle. One "I have your soul in this bottle and will only return it to you if..." later, he was equipped again.

I don't see how that could work. The atmosphere isn't actually 'flammable'. It's not like some materials, which create a self-sustaining reaction if you just put in enough energy to get it going, the atmosphere doesn't have a composition that releases more energy than is required to oxidize it - otherwise the fears that setting off a nuclear bomb might destroy the world would have been proven true. So while you could 'burn' air, you couldn't make the reaction spread.

Also, how would you heat the object up enough? Heat loss is proportional to the difference in temperature between an object and it's surroundings, so the hotter you got it the faster it would cool off - meaning you'd have to be casting the spell extremely rapidly. I doubt very much that two spells a round (one quickened) or even four, 8 or 16 (metamagics, etc) would ever be able to keep up with heat loss.

Even if you could keep up with heat loss, how would you get enough spell slots? Or would this be a high level build with other RAW tricks to get infinite spells?

If anyone actually cares enough to, it would be an interesting challenge to work out the lowest rate of heat loss you could manage for an object (something massive and round) and the number of spells per round and number of rounds needed to get it to the target heat to 'burn' the local air. Then make a build that can do it. :smallbiggrin:

Crasical
2012-02-21, 08:42 PM
A good fast talk DM check might also let you get away with using the Hand of the Mage pricing of 900 gold.

Dr_S
2012-02-23, 10:52 PM
how would you get enough spell slots?

could just play Pathfinder, it says the effects last 1 hour, however if it were my game, I'd say that heating and cooling effects were not included in the 1 hour before it reverts rule as heating something or cooling it 15 degrees is a small amount of energy, where as magically maintaining a temperature for an hour seems like it might be a pain. However as written I'd be wrong.

that said, ignoring quicken as it raises spell level, 6 seconds per round means 10 rounds per minute, therefore 600 casts before the first starts to wear off.
600*15 or 9000 degrees, which unless you're somehow immune to heat would likely kill you at any range which the spell could be cast long long before it got that hot, as that is about 90% of the temperature of the sun. (Then I suppose someone who was immune to extreme heats somehow, could technically destroy the world as anything radiating this much heat probably would melt the planet or maybe cause the birth of a star or something, my physics understanding at this point is lacking)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-23, 11:02 PM
The party wizard used it to win a drinking contest against a dwarf. No one likes drinking urine. Room Temperature.

Wizard: "I can use a simple cantrip to beat you in a drinking contest!"
Dwarf: "You're on!"

fryplink
2012-02-23, 11:24 PM

Have you ever been to a Fraternity? They drink canned urine there all the time.

Anyway, I used the "small jet of flame" option to light undead made out of the shrouds of the dead on fire. For a less cheesy use, I used it to turn horse manure into a pile of golden nuggets to distract bandits.

NoobForHire
2012-02-24, 12:15 AM
I used it to wipe up the blood on a ship we had been held captive on and taken over.
When we got into port and some guys wanted to inspect the ship I knew we were going to be in trouble so I ran belowdecks and my level 1 self used a spell everyone said was worthless to save the party. Woo me.

Myou
2012-02-24, 05:45 PM
could just play Pathfinder, it says the effects last 1 hour, however if it were my game, I'd say that heating and cooling effects were not included in the 1 hour before it reverts rule as heating something or cooling it 15 degrees is a small amount of energy, where as magically maintaining a temperature for an hour seems like it might be a pain. However as written I'd be wrong.

that said, ignoring quicken as it raises spell level, 6 seconds per round means 10 rounds per minute, therefore 600 casts before the first starts to wear off.
600*15 or 9000 degrees, which unless you're somehow immune to heat would likely kill you at any range which the spell could be cast long long before it got that hot, as that is about 90% of the temperature of the sun. (Then I suppose someone who was immune to extreme heats somehow, could technically destroy the world as anything radiating this much heat probably would melt the planet or maybe cause the birth of a star or something, my physics understanding at this point is lacking)

High temperatures aren't enough to set off chain reactions, since earth and it's atmosphere just aren't flammable - burning the matrials present consumes more energy than it releases. Further, 1 pound of material wouldn't do anything beyond the very local area even if it was at 150 million degrees (the temperature inside some fusion reactors). You'd need to be able to affect billions of tonnes of material at once, probably trillions. So at least two wizards. :smallbiggrin:

WarKitty
2012-02-24, 07:23 PM

We had the idea of using prestidigitation charms to sell to the rich of the city. One piece would clean your clothes for you every time you got dirty. Another acted as makeup - depending on your sex and locale you could either make it look like you had perfectly applied makeup, or simply hide blemishes and improve your complexion.

One I'd like to try for the less well-off social climber would be a version that upgrades your outfit. Makes your quartz jewelry look like precious stones, lets you pass off that second-hand cloak as freshly dyed, makes that cotton shirt look like silk.

Dr_S
2012-02-24, 07:35 PM
It seems if something were heated to 9000 degrees, that it would cause a lot of damage, but now that you mention it, if it's only 1lb of material, it can't "melt the earth" because of the sheer mass of the earth, though, if it has a heat source maintaining 9000 degrees ah I don't want to do the physics, but basically lets pretend earth is a closed system.

We need the Average temperature of earth and it's atmosphere and everything enclosed which I'll notate big T and the mass of all that big M and we'll need some sort of value to represent the rate at which all this will heat up on average, which I'mma call little h for now.

The Object in question is going to, over the course of an hour be raised to a temperature of 9000 degress over an hour, we're going to convert it's temperature and mass to metric (K's for temp) so we'll use the variables little t and m

so at any given time, the object stays constant (or rising every six seconds) while the earth heats at a rate s(T-t)m/M

So if it were maintained long enough melting the earth with prestidigitation should simply be a function of s unless 9000 degrees is close to or less than the melting point of earth.

I'm assuming that whole of the earth would be effected over time from the energy spreading from that single pound of material, (as 9000 degrees will be more than the temperature of the hottest points on/in the earth.

Myou
2012-02-24, 07:45 PM
It seems if something were heated to 9000 degrees, that it would cause a lot of damage, but now that you mention it, if it's only 1lb of material, it can't "melt the earth" because of the sheer mass of the earth, though, if it has a heat source maintaining 9000 degrees ah I don't want to do the physics, but basically lets pretend earth is a closed system.

We need the Average temperature of earth and it's atmosphere and everything enclosed which I'll notate big T and the mass of all that big M and we'll need some sort of value to represent the rate at which all this will heat up on average, which I'mma call little h for now.

The Object in question is going to, over the course of an hour be raised to a temperature of 9000 degress over an hour, we're going to convert it's temperature and mass to metric (K's for temp) so we'll use the variables little t and m

so at any given time, the object stays constant (or rising every six seconds) while the earth heats at a rate s(T-t)m/M

So if it were maintained long enough melting the earth with prestidigitation should simply be a function of s unless 9000 degrees is close to or less than the melting point of earth.

Heat doesn't spread that way though. Some of the heat will be transmitted away in the form of radiation into space, but most will just heat the local area - the planet wouldn't be heated evenly.

In any case, the heating is reset every time you rest to prepare spells, so I seriously doubt that even given infinite time, that you would ever manage to have a significant effect, even with the PF rules. xD

Dr_S
2012-02-24, 07:59 PM
Heat doesn't spread that way though. Some of the heat will be transmitted away in the form of radiation into space, but most will just heat the local area - the planet wouldn't be heated evenly.

In any case, the heating is reset every time you rest to prepare spells, so I seriously doubt that even given infinite time, that you would ever manage to have a significant effect, even with the PF rules. xD

I wanted to easy the math because I am not a physicist. However 1lb heated to 9000 degrees for several hours should do some damage...

What i was thinking is that with pathfinder rules, as soon as the first prestidigitation fails (1hr) you're casting another to replace it maintaining roughly the 9000 degrees for as long as you can continue to cast. Since space is a near vacuum I was guessing that a good portion of the energy wouldn't radiate into space. Some would of course, but I was thinking the earth and it's atmosphere would get the bulk of it. I realize of course the immediate areas around the object would be affected first, but we're basically adding energy straight into the system so at some point raising the temperature to the "melt earth" stage seems like it would happen... because everything heated by the 1lb object heats it's surroundings. so eventually the area effected will grow.

Though our differences of opinion may stem from 1 thing, I'm assuming that only the object actually heated (the 1lb of material) get it's temperature reset at the end of an hour, and that any heat it radiated is no longer part of the object. So that after a day of heating an object, I go to sleep to restore my spells, (I'm a sorcerer instead of a wizard I guess) the earth doesn't cool down, only the object in question (which is then likely near immediately reheated by the area around where it was stored.

Myou
2012-02-24, 08:47 PM
I wanted to easy the math because I am not a physicist. However 1lb heated to 9000 degrees for several hours should do some damage...

What i was thinking is that with pathfinder rules, as soon as the first prestidigitation fails (1hr) you're casting another to replace it maintaining roughly the 9000 degrees for as long as you can continue to cast. Since space is a near vacuum I was guessing that a good portion of the energy wouldn't radiate into space. Some would of course, but I was thinking the earth and it's atmosphere would get the bulk of it. I realize of course the immediate areas around the object would be affected first, but we're basically adding energy straight into the system so at some point raising the temperature to the "melt earth" stage seems like it would happen... because everything heated by the 1lb object heats it's surroundings. so eventually the area effected will grow.

Though our differences of opinion may stem from 1 thing, I'm assuming that only the object actually heated (the 1lb of material) get it's temperature reset at the end of an hour, and that any heat it radiated is no longer part of the object. So that after a day of heating an object, I go to sleep to restore my spells, (I'm a sorcerer instead of a wizard I guess) the earth doesn't cool down, only the object in question (which is then likely near immediately reheated by the area around where it was stored.

I am a physicist, and I still don't want to do that much maths. :smallbiggrin:

But yes, most heat would stay on earth, and it would spread over time. My point was more that it would have to be kept up for a vast amount of time to get very far, which you can't do because you have to stop to recover spells.

Certainly if you could maintain it indefinitely it would eventually make earth a molten blob. But it would take an huge amount of time.

For example, fusion reactors hold plasma at up to 150 million degrees, but they don't melt if it hits the wall (which it does), because there's not much of it.

I also suspect that the rate at which earth loses heat to space is greater than the rate at which the object would lose heat to the earth.

But one clever (read horrible) trick is to abuse the rules by making the item a sheet one atom thick - then you might even be able to encircle most/all of the planet (again, no way am I calculating it XD) and the rate of heat transfer would be huge - then we're really getting a doomsday scenario.

Of course good luck making a sheet of metal an atom thick that doesn't get immediately pulled apart by wind or other interference. Also good luck making it at all. xD

Dr_S
2012-02-24, 09:04 PM
Ok ok, I guess it comes down to the rate at which a 9000 degree 1lb object radiates heat vs. the rate that heat leaves the atmosphere (as well as what happens when the spell is over, and how much heat is lost while preparing spells)

bassmasterginga
2012-02-24, 09:04 PM
new plan. put the rock at the bottom of the ocean and heat it. boil ocean upset atmosphere screw the mermaids have fun be a wizard profit.

gomipile
2012-02-24, 09:06 PM
But one clever (read horrible) trick is to abuse the rules by making the item a sheet one atom thick

Except that the range of Prestidigitation is only 10 feet.

Mystify
2012-02-25, 05:23 AM
Not to mention that standing withing 10 feet of that would probably require some serious magical protection of itself, and the object itself would vaporize, leaving you without an object to heat up.

Myou
2012-02-25, 07:09 AM
Except that the range of Prestidigitation is only 10 feet.

And you are within 10 feet of it. Of the part you target that is. :smallbiggrin:

TuggyNE
2012-02-25, 07:39 AM
And you are within 10 feet of it. Of the part you target that is. :smallbiggrin:

Sorry.

If any portion of the spell’s area would extend beyond this range, that area is wasted.

Pretty sure that's what they were referring to.

Myou
2012-02-25, 07:44 AM
Sorry.

Pretty sure that's what they were referring to.

Well, I would say that the target of a spell doesn't have to be entirely in range. After all, you wouldn't say that you couldn't target an ancient dragon with a spell just because you could only reach it's head. :smalltongue:

Mystify
2012-02-25, 08:02 AM
Well, I would say that the target of a spell doesn't have to be entirely in range. After all, you wouldn't say that you couldn't target an ancient dragon with a spell just because you could only reach it's head. :smalltongue:
You can target it. The head is in range.
For the purposes of this spell, you can heat up the object, but only the portion of it that is within 10 feet of you. You would create a local hot-spot.

Myou
2012-02-25, 09:37 AM
You can target it. The head is in range.
For the purposes of this spell, you can heat up the object, but only the portion of it that is within 10 feet of you. You would create a local hot-spot.

Ah, but by that interpretation you could only disintegrate the dragon's head if the rest of it's body was out of range. :smallconfused:

Mystify
2012-02-25, 09:39 AM
Ah, but by that interpretation you could only disintegrate the dragon's head if the rest of it's body was out of range. :smallconfused:
But that use of disintegrate is not an area. Its a ray. If you tried to disintegrate a cube of nonliving matter at max range, the area that extends out of the range doesn't disintegrate. Its the difference between objects and creatures.

Myou
2012-02-25, 09:55 AM
But that use of disintegrate is not an area. Its a ray. If you tried to disintegrate a cube of nonliving matter at max range, the area that extends out of the range doesn't disintegrate. Its the difference between objects and creatures.

Ah, ok then, I guess it doesn't work after all.

Taelas
2012-02-25, 09:56 AM

That's not how targeting creatures works. If you can target the head, you can target all of it. All of the creature "counts" as being in the square you can hit, for the purposes of the spell's effect.

If we use a twinned disintegrate on one target on the edge of the spell's effect, and another target just outside it, the second target would be unaffected, even if the first target's spacing exceeds the second target's.

Copper
2012-02-25, 10:37 AM
Question: Could the color changing aspects of Prestidigitation effect prismatic spells? Because that would be awesome.

Mystify
2012-02-25, 10:39 AM
Question: Could the color changing aspects of Prestidigitation effect prismatic spells? Because that would be awesome.
Its not an item, and even it it was it would exceed the size requirements. But that would be clever if it worked.

RyuSabakyu
2014-03-16, 06:03 PM
A group of wizards were working on a summoning and controlling ritual. There was a ritual circle drawn in dried blood, and candles lit up. there was a barrier around the whole thing that "nothing could penetrate in any way" (this was supposed to be the end battle).
I decided to cause a small gust of wind in a focused area to break the ritual circle (no one noticed that the circle was broken.)

What was supposed to be a Solar angel being summoned turned into a very confused Goblin that was very quickly ROFLSTOMPED.

A Tad Insane
2014-03-16, 07:12 PM
I used prestidigitation to put a golden glowing mark of Corellon Larethian on the forehead of a drow priestess right before she was about to give a big speech. I did a similar thing to a priest of Tiamat with a mark of Bahumat when he was going to meet a red dragon. Fun times, fuuuuuuun times

docnessuno
2014-03-16, 07:16 PM
new plan. put the rock at the bottom of the ocean and heat it. boil ocean upset atmosphere screw the mermaids have fun be a wizard profit.

Mass of the ocean (earth): approx 1.35 x 10^21 Kg = approx 3*10^21 lbs
Mass of the rock: 1 lb

Assuming you heat up the rock to 10000°C before dropping it into the ocean, the average temperature of the ocean would rise approx:
10000 x 1 / ( 3*10^21) = 3.3 x 10^-18 °C

Yes, 0.00000000000000000033 °C

This, without even considering the heat the ocean itself would transmit to the landmass and atmosphere.

nyjastul69
2014-03-16, 07:22 PM
I used prestidigitation to put a golden glowing mark of Corellon Larethian on a drow priestess right before she was about to give a big speech. I did a similar thing to a priest of Tiamat with a mark of Bahumat when he was going to meet a red dragon. Fun times, fuuuuuuun times

You are lucky to have such a permissible DM. That use falls outside of the parameters of Prestiditation.

A Tad Insane
2014-03-16, 07:50 PM
You are lucky to have such a permissible DM. That use falls outside of the parameters of Prestiditation.

How so? It's a sr: no spell that can change the color of things, no one noticed a discrepancy.

Deophaun
2014-03-16, 07:58 PM
How so? It's a sr: no spell that can change the color of things, no one noticed a discrepancy.
The glowing is definitely out.

And while it can color an item, there's nothing that says it can create a pattern or be selective about what parts of an item it colors beyond being confined to a 1-foot cube. (there was a question awhile back about someone using Prestidigitation to change heraldry during a battle) It is a permissive DM ruling, both in letting it happen (although I'd say only slightly so) and in having no one with ranks in Spellcraft in attendance to understand what was going on.

nyjastul69
2014-03-16, 08:04 PM

Prestiditation can color an item, not a creature. Even if this can be circumvented somehow it would also be duplicating the effect of Arcane Mark, which is strictly forbidden by Prestidigitation's spell description.

Erik Vale
2014-03-16, 08:19 PM
Please, every use of Prestidigitation is banned by the spell due to spells such as disguise X, X image, X creation and so on, so technically preparing Prestidgitation is worse then leaving the slot empty.

Hello RAW, nice to meet you.

Also for Spellcraft, that is [if I remember] only for casting the spell, so no help. I do agree that glowing is forbidden by text [glowing footprints as a example] and targeting people is not RAI, however the later you can get around by targeting the air a minute distance in front of the targets head and maintaining it with your free actions, and making it some near neon colour or just about any colour but the skin will still draw attention, so only the specifics need to change.

One use for me in PF was making multiple 'small crude objects' [broken parts of a X] and combining with mending to make clothes.

Invader
2014-03-16, 08:38 PM

Not to mention you're not going to be able to get close enough for continuous castings to get it to 9000 degrees in the first place.

Deophaun
2014-03-16, 08:54 PM
Please, every use of Prestidigitation is banned by the spell due to spells such as disguise X, X image, X creation and so on, so technically preparing Prestidgitation is worse then leaving the slot empty.
Except that Prestidigitation has specific usages prescribed in addition to a general prohibition on duplicating spell effects. Specific > General.

Also for Spellcraft, that is [if I remember] only for casting the spell, so no help.
It's DC 20+spell level to identify a spell already in place if you can see detect the effect.

You're thinking of the DC 15+spell level to identify a spell as it is being cast.

Erik Vale
2014-03-16, 09:15 PM
I consider both clauses to be specific.
And I always forget that second rule. If you see a wall of stone, should you really get a DC 25 [I think] roll to notice that some random wall was created by a wall of stone spell? [Yay for a RAW]

Deophaun
2014-03-16, 09:24 PM
I consider both clauses to be specific.
Then it seems the problem is with your interpretation, not RAW.

If you see a wall of stone, should you really get a DC 25 [I think] roll to notice that some random wall was created by a wall of stone spell?
Considering that there's an Appraise DC to determine if an object is created by magic, yes?

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought that was Appraise. Nope, it's Spellcraft again. Heaven forbid we spread the love to other skills, WotC!

Erik Vale
2014-03-16, 09:36 PM
Then it seems the problem is with your interpretation, not RAW.

Considering that there's an Appraise DC to determine if an object is created by magic, yes?

Edit: I'm sorry, I thought that was Appraise. Nope, it's Spellcraft again. Heaven forbid we spread the love to other skills, WotC!

1: I could just as easily say such about your view point. I will however not continue arguing this specific point given flaiming rules.

2: I was talking about Half a Brain wat? over RAW, that sort of thing should be covered by detect magic + spellcraft or identify, however this leaves RAW, so I give to you the point they should be able to determine it easily RAW, but I say that it is stupid and would rule 0 that away. I thought this point was obvious by the end bit [Yay RAW], my apologies... I should have made it blue.

Deophaun
2014-03-16, 10:30 PM
1: I could just as easily say such about your view point.
How so? As far as I'm aware, my interpretation does not produce the problem you are complaining about. It seems to me if you have two interpretations of RAW, and RAW works fine in one while producing nonsensical results in the other, then the issue is not with RAW.

However, if see a negative consequence of my interpretation that I've missed, I would like to hear it.

2: I was talking about Half a Brain wat? over RAW, that sort of thing should be covered by detect magic + spellcraft or identify, however this leaves RAW, so I give to you the point they should be able to determine it easily RAW, but I say that it is stupid and would rule 0 that away. I thought this point was obvious by the end bit [Yay RAW], my apologies... I should have made it blue.
You misunderstand: I have zero issue with mundane skills being used to determine if something was created by magic; look at something like Full Metal Alchemist where things created by magic alchemy have telltale marks regarding their origin. I don't view a trained eye being able to detect the difference between the product of mundane means and magic, or even the product of one spell versus another, as silly in the slightest.

My issue is just how WotC likes to pile as many features onto a handful of (caster-centric) skills as possible, while leaving other skills that could reasonably do the task and need the boost without. I honestly thought it was the Appraise skill that did it.

(Un)Inspired
2014-03-16, 10:46 PM

Since then my conscience has led us to only turn water into wine. Oh, and pretending we have the big magic item when we really didn't.

You monster! Do you have any idea how much tasty paste I bought and ate?

Hyena
2014-03-16, 11:01 PM
You monster! Do you have any idea how much tasty paste I bought and ate?

Excuse me, sir, but it seems you are, uh, full of ****.

Personally, I once changed the taste of the wine to make it seem poisoned. The negotiations ended... badly.

Dalebert
2014-03-16, 11:10 PM
I feel silly that all I did was animate some little paper cutouts for a puppet show in a bar with my bard. I think I made the mistake of using it for something that it was intended for.

I would never eat something called "tasty paste". Doesn't sound gluten-free.

iceman10058
2014-03-17, 04:18 PM
i enchanted a codpiece once so that the wearers urine would turn blood red, which was always funny in game.

Keldrin
2014-03-17, 07:34 PM
I think some folks forgot about the "Ridiculous" part of the thread, and got caught up with the inevitable RAW vs. X , it's so reflexive. :smallamused:

One of the few things i miss about the earlier editions was the , "hey let's try this!" , and run it past the DM. It was a more permissive time ( at least in most of the games I played in back in the day). It definitely could lead to more ridiculous.

Most of my prestidigitations have sadly been mundane, such as cleaning up after a side trip in a sewer, or a fight and getting out blood, or de-stinking after a swamp crawl.

I think I only use it to clean up. :smalleek:

zoobob9
2014-03-17, 08:33 PM
A player of mine was a Gnome illusionist. He had corn rows with braids on the back end and a braided beard. However, the braids would go up and weave into the corn rows, and then the braids on the ends of the corn rows would splice into his beard. Kind of like a hair cage over his whole head.

He would introduce himself by saying "My names Yaeger Bombastic, I have an EXPLOSIVE PERSONALITY" and send sparks cycling through the braids in the giant hair loop.

He needed a magic item eventually, because he couldn't prepare Prestigitation enough times a day.