PDA

View Full Version : Ian Starshine with the Draketooths?

Phantom Thief
2012-02-20, 09:55 PM
When Ian and Geoff escape from Tarquin's dinosaur carrier thing, Ian mentions he doesn't feel safe going to Ivy's to stay; he has somewhere else instead he thinks is better to hide at. Given that Ivy successfully was smuggling food to the two without detection, wherever Ian has in mind must be pretty darn safe for him to be more confident there than with his sister in law.

So where could the two of them go that would be so safe from being found? In the desert hiding with one of the greatest illusionists in the world of course! Maybe Ian somehow met or knew Girard or one of his descendants during or before he came to the desert and was captured by Tyrinaria.

I could see the two of them getting along rather well, like Haley said, they both share a similar pessimistic and paranoid view of the world. And if anyone could be clever enough to find a way through the mass of illusions Draketooth must have around his gate, who else would it be besides a master thief?

From a storyline perspective, this would add alot of drama. Ian's suspicions of Elan would be reinforced once Tarquin trails him to Draketooths hideout, Ian will naturally assume Elan led Nale and Tarquin there and use that to convince the Draketooths not to trust any of them. Honestly, if the Order explained the situation reasonably, their situation makes sense and Draketooth's family should believe them. But with Ian telling his theories of deception and betrayal, there could still be a dangerous obstacle in getting the desert Gate secured.

Plus it will force Haley to finish the confrontation she had with her Dad in the jailcell that she basically just dropped and ran away from before. There could even be a bunch of showdowns between Ian and Tarquin, then Tarquin and Roy, then Tarquin and Elan, Then Tarquin and Nale, then Elan and Nale, all with each of them trying to convince the others to see things thier way in the midst of combat.

Meanwhile, while the lot of them are stuck in a three way tussle, it will give Team Evil time to get to Windy Canyon and find their way through the maze to attack the Gate themselves. What exactly will happen from there I dont know, but I assume it will end up with Durkon being killed by the Draketooths once they choose not to trust the Order.(Durkon is supposed to return to the dwarf lands dead, and after this, they will all likely head towards the dwarflands to find the last gate, thus also fulfilling the prophecy of Durkon bringing chaos and destruction with him when he returns, e.g. Xykon)

What do you guys think? Agree or disagree with me here?

Phantom Thief
2012-02-20, 09:57 PM
Also, F1RST!!!

(In that this is the first time I'm posting in this forum, not first on this page, which would be obvious)

EmperorSarda
2012-02-20, 10:00 PM
The Order of the Stick flew to the canyon on a carpet in a matter of hours and waited two days. Tarquin, the Linear Guild, and lots of soldiers are following behind. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0822.html) Xykon and Redcloak are due soon enough as well. With how much time it would take Ian to get to the canyon, there is going to be plenty of drama with just those three groups in the same area and Tarquin finding out that Nale was referring to a lich, and said lich is there.

So I consider it a super low possibility.

MyNameIsSecret
2012-02-20, 11:41 PM

I don't know. Though it certainly won't happen exactly that way, I think this theory does bear some weight, and that Ian might be part of the coming battle for Girards gate. But you never know...

Jalor
2012-02-21, 05:58 AM

Ian's been a thief since First Edition. You don't survive that long as a rogue without having an escape plan for everything. He could have had a teleport scroll stashed somewhere, or he could steal one, and neither would feel like a stretch. This actually seems pretty likely to me.

iTookUrNick
2012-02-21, 06:09 AM
Actually, I agree with the OP. If we are ever to see Ian in the comic again, I would say it's most likely to be @ Girard's.

I am willing to concede there is a lot going on already. On the other hand, it would make no sense NOT to meet Ian again.

My 2¢.

Werbaer
2012-02-21, 06:11 AM
So where could the two of them go that would be so safe from being found? In the desert hiding with one of the greatest illusionists in the world of course!
Was suspected by a lot of people in the discussion thread to #815.

fergo
2012-02-21, 08:17 AM
I think it's a strong possibility.

There are a bunch of ways he could get there before the Order, assuming he knows the Draketooths from before. He may actually be a Draketooth himself (although I hope not, and I doubt it; but there may be some long-term relationship between them).

And he needs to get back into the story before the end of the arc. Family has been a theme running all the way through, and with Elan heading straight for a conflict with his family, I don't think Haley will be left out.

In a recent interview, the Giant said that he likes writing Haley, especially considering her relationship with her family. I'm sure he wouldn't leave Ian out of the rest of the book, and at Girard's Gate is the only real way he could be squeezed in as far as I can see (although I freely admit the plot may yet spiral out of control, so it's probably futile speculating).

LordRahl6
2012-02-21, 09:54 AM
I've posted something similar on the plot point collection thread in a similar vein. I'll explain my reasoning again here:

The Starshine's and Draketooth's share the distrustful outlook on life, but they also have something else that is in come: RED HAIR!

Now is this a coincidence? Naturally red haired people are a growing rarity in our world, is it same in OotS? Thusly are the Starshine's and Draketooth's in fact one same family, or at least a non-magic user branch?:smallwink:

Phantom Thief
2012-02-21, 01:34 PM
Agreed, after Girard's Gate, the whole group, protagonists and antagonists alike, will be heading off to Serini's/Kraagor's Gate, and it's hard to imagine Ian randomly popping up a second time like this. I hope he's not done in this story yet, cause Haley and him still have to work out some stuff, so I hope he is involved here.

I also considered maybe he was related to the Draketooths, what with both of them having awesome last names and everything, but then I considered that it doesn't seem that he ever mentioned them to Haley or even Geoff, which seems weird to not tell your family staying in a harsh tyranical empire about the one relative who could protect them.

Jay R
2012-02-21, 02:08 PM
When Ian and Geoff escape from Tarquin's dinosaur carrier thing, Ian mentions he doesn't feel safe going to Ivy's to stay; he has somewhere else instead he thinks is better to hide at. Given that Ivy successfully was smuggling food to the two without detection, wherever Ian has in mind must be pretty darn safe for him to be more confident there than with his sister in law.

Primarily, I disagree with your assessment of Ivy. I think she's Bozzak's accomplice, and has been betraying Ian to Tarquin at every escape attempt.

The Cat Goddess
2012-02-21, 02:11 PM
Agreed, after Girard's Gate, the whole group, protagonists and antagonists alike, will be heading off to Serini's/Kraagor's Gate, and it's hard to imagine Ian randomly popping up a second time like this. I hope he's not done in this story yet, cause Haley and him still have to work out some stuff, so I hope he is involved here.

I also considered maybe he was related to the Draketooths, what with both of them having awesome last names and everything, but then I considered that it doesn't seem that he ever mentioned them to Haley or even Geoff, which seems weird to not tell your family staying in a harsh tyranical empire about the one relative who could protect them.

Ian doesn't trust anyone. If he knew/was related to Girard, he wouldn't talk about Girard where there was even the slightest chance someone else would overhear.

Voshkod
2012-02-21, 03:25 PM

But, as we know all too well, probability will service drama like a cheap harlot. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0584.html) In other words, that which has a super low possibility must almost certainly occur.

LordRahl6
2012-02-21, 03:41 PM
Ian doesn't trust anyone. If he knew/was related to Girard, he wouldn't talk about Girard where there was even the slightest chance someone else would overhear.

This is an excellent line of reasoning, Cat Goddess. Even IF the Starshine's were indeed related to girard, the paranoid nature would keep the knowledge to as few people as possible.:smallwink:

fergo
2012-02-21, 03:47 PM
Ian doesn't trust anyone.

Except family.

Sure, he could go against his normal rule for a secret as big as Draketooth (and this may serve a story purpose regarding his relationship with Haley)... but I don't think so.

Yendor
2012-02-21, 03:57 PM
Ian's not going to be there. If he had the capacity to get to the canyon that quickly, he wouldn't keep getting recaptured.

Fish
2012-02-21, 04:18 PM
The obvious alternative is that while Ian may not be with the Draketooth clan — with, allied with, aware of — he could still be hiding in a maze of twisty canyons with illusions everywhere. Notice in 815 that Ian doesn't say "I know a guy," but "I know a place." Ian the paranoid can find his way around most of it, possibly even know it's shielded from divination, but not necessarily know of its full significance.

Which is a perfect time for Elan to gain Ian's trust: after all, the Order will need a guide.

And if Uncle Geoff is, as I suspect, a spy for Bozzok, Ian is showing him all the secrets of the canyon, which could be interesting.

The Cat Goddess
2012-02-21, 05:01 PM
Ian's not going to be there. If he had the capacity to get to the canyon that quickly, he wouldn't keep getting recaptured.

I thought Ian mentioned that he lets himself get recaptured...

LordRahl6
2012-02-21, 05:44 PM
First off, Ian being Paranoid will have lots of stashes to keep magical gear at various places. Secondly, [B]IF[B] Ian is related to the Draketooth's the possiblity exists that due to the Nature and SIZE of the secret of the gates and Snarl that the members of the Draketooth Family that are aware of existence are small in number. Thus the Youngest members may not be included. Like Haley.:smallwink:

Jay R
2012-02-21, 06:06 PM

This may be the first time he doesn't go to Ivy first. If she is the person who keeps betraying him to Tarquin, then going elsewhere may be exactly how to avoid recapture.

(Of course, hilarity ensues when it turns out that Tarquin is independently going to the same place.)

Phantom Thief
2012-02-21, 06:09 PM

The whole reason the Order came to the city in the first place was that Girard's family likely needs to restock and therefore has to go to a city. If Windy Canyon is indeed so far away, Girard himself must have some means of travel to and from the canyon, maybe some kind of teleportation device or some kind of secret tunnel or train or whatever it may be. So Ian being far away is no obstacle, he should be able to reach the canyon at least before Nale and Tarquin, having a head start. Probably Xykon and Redcloak too, as I'd expect them to be the last to show up. As for him getting recaptured, he says he only once got out of the city walls, perhaps this method of transport is between the canyon and some point outside the city, hence Ian running in the opposite direction the dinosaur was walking during his escape.

Ill admit though, the theory of Geoff being a traitor is starting to sound more and more plausible. Maybe Ivy too, but she's too little known right now to make a descision one way or the other.

JSSheridan
2012-02-21, 07:09 PM
I think Ian will come in last. Team Evil will have OotS, LG, and Draketooth all on the ropes, and Ian will come in and somehow mess it all up.

psijac
2012-02-21, 07:34 PM
I don't Ian can carry a lampshade big enough for this to happen