PDA

View Full Version : Campaigns based on other media

Silus
2012-02-20, 10:55 PM
So, have you ever wanted to run a game that's story is based on something already existing? Like say a survival horror game with dinosaurs or something?

I myself want to run a Pathfinder game based on either the anime Romeo x Juliet or Princess Tutu. Edit: Or both :smallamused:

BARDS
BARDS EVERYWHERE
SO GLORIOUS

Also ran a 3.5/PF game loosely based off the movie 1408. You know you're doing a good job with a horror game when the players refuse to roll spot and listen checks out of fear.

Grinner
2012-02-20, 11:19 PM
They say that good writers steal from the past all the time.

Siegel
2012-02-21, 02:48 AM
I will be running a Burning Wheel game, more based on Pillars of the Earth and "Die Wanderhure" (the traveling whore) then on traditional adventuring fantasy...

My Fomor-attack Dresden Files game that i have planned will have a lot of Sci-Fi influences. Their turtlenecks/servitors more like mindless droids then humans. A lot of body horror and ancient sea creatures.

Siegel
2012-02-21, 02:49 AM
I will be running a Burning Wheel game, more based on Pillars of the Earth and "Die Wanderhure" (the traveling whore) then on traditional adventuring fantasy...

My Fomor-attack Dresden Files game that i have planned will have a lot of Sci-Fi influences. Their turtlenecks/servitors more like mindless droids then humans. A lot of body horror and ancient sea creatures.

Totally Guy
2012-02-21, 05:57 AM
I played in a BW one shot which was awesome. The GM said it was based on R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing series.

I now have those books on my 2012 reading list and on my shelf.

Kalmageddon
2012-02-21, 06:21 AM
I'm currently running a Fallout campaign set in New York City with a strong focus on survival with limited resources and 3 characters already died since the campaign started, but the risk is part of the package and so far everyone seems to be having fun.

Yora
2012-02-21, 08:41 AM
They say that good writers steal from the past all the time.

Bad writers borrow, good writers steal.

Jay R
2012-02-21, 08:56 AM
I've run several Champions games based on specific comics. (I once had the super-team spending over an hour real-time fighting what they thought were super-powered aliens attacking earth, before they discovered that they had blundered into the origin of the Fantastic Four.

Once I had a C&S knight who found a magic ring, which turned out to be one of nine rings made for men by a Dark Lord.

Someday I plan to run a D&D game in a land of ruins and the dregs of an ideal medieval society, and they will eventually discover that it's fifty years after the fall of Camelot.

I'm currently playing a 2E D&D loosely based on the colonization of America. In the first couple of sessions we rescued the Roanoke colony.

Project_Mayhem
2012-02-21, 08:58 AM
I'm currently playing in a Savage Worlds tabletop that is using the setting and plot from Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magical Obscura.

And it's AWESOME

TheThan
2012-02-22, 07:34 PM
I steal my campaign ideas from classic 80s and 90s cartoons and children’s shows.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-02-22, 08:32 PM
Having just seen the movie The Secret World of Arrietty, I really want to run a Borrower campaign... I've also been having a Power Rangers campaign hankering.

Furthermore, the campaign I'm currently running with my group is vaguely based off of Legend of Zelda: Four Swords. I say vaguely because beyond the idea that the characters are all different aspects of the same character (which I think came from a manga based on the game, rather than the game itself anyway) the connection is tenuous at best.

One of my DMs ran a StarCraft campaign once... I wasn't too fond of it, personally.

blackspeeker
2012-02-22, 11:28 PM
I have wanted to run an eberron campaign or really any campaign based off of the cartoon Time Squad for thelongest time.

Stasgard
2012-02-22, 11:36 PM
I'm currently playing in a Savage Worlds tabletop that is using the setting and plot from Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magical Obscura.

And it's AWESOME

Man, that would be awesome. I've wanted to run an Arcanum-esque Steampunk game for ages.

The Glyphstone
2012-02-23, 08:36 AM
I ran a one-shot side adventure years ago with my group that had the party dumped into a demiplane that was basically Super Mario World.

"The piranha plant scores a critical hit." Ah, good times.

Project_Mayhem
2012-02-23, 11:09 AM
Man, that would be awesome. I've wanted to run an Arcanum-esque Steampunk game for ages.

It's pretty cool. The group are really rolling with the setting I think. It's just a shame our technologist blew himself up while protecting Gilbert Bate's Factory, the clan dwarf took dynamite to the body, and the half elf ninja got eaten by a werewolf. We're left with just a Gentleman half-ogre pugilist with a hero complex, a young, slightly racist elf with uncontrolled destructive magical power, a one armed halfling kleptomaniac, and a Durnholmian soldier who recently became a vampire.

Well, and Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe of course. And he's *wonderful*

Bearpunch
2012-02-23, 12:39 PM
It's pretty cool. The group are really rolling with the setting I think. It's just a shame our technologist blew himself up while protecting Gilbert Bate's Factory, the clan dwarf took dynamite to the body, and the half elf ninja got eaten by a werewolf. We're left with just a Gentleman half-ogre pugilist with a hero complex, a young, slightly racist elf with uncontrolled destructive magical power, a one armed halfling kleptomaniac, and a Durnholmian soldier who recently became a vampire.

Well, and Geoffrey Tarellond-Ashe of course. And he's *wonderful*

That is the coolest thing ever. How did you gather all the setting info?

Velaryon
2012-02-23, 01:35 PM
One of my groups ran a campaign set in the post-apocalyptic future of the Terminator universe, using the d20 Modern rules. One of the best games I have ever been in.

Next with that group, if we can find a good rule set that works for us, we are thinking of a Ghostbusters campaign based off of real-life ghost stories and legends around the Chicago area. Ideally we'd like to adapt the d20 Modern rules, but if that's not feasible then we might try another system.

For less direct influences, my current D&D campaign incorporates some elements of the Suikoden video games, with regard to establishing a castle and recruiting a bunch of people, at least. Unfortunately my players haven't been too good at recruiting so far.

Project_Mayhem
2012-02-23, 02:01 PM
That is the coolest thing ever. How did you gather all the setting info?

As far as I can tell, the DM played it through several times, then text dumped the ENTIRE game, and started from there. Then he added stuff. Lots of stuff. And wrote a 12 page players guide. It's ... pretty damn awesome to be honest.

I think all of the canon npcs are there, plus loads of new ones. We ended up making Magnus angry, so he buggered off in a huff, but we saved the dog and impressed Geoffrey. Who, did I mention, is *wonderful*

Copper
2012-02-23, 02:06 PM
The first campaign I DM'd was a one-shot campaign based around Christmas specials. The entire thing took place in a frost Arctic-like environment and players frequently ran into Rudolph, Snoopy, Santa and many other characters from Christmas Movies.

Bearpunch
2012-02-23, 02:40 PM
As far as I can tell, the DM played it through several times, then text dumped the ENTIRE game, and started from there. Then he added stuff. Lots of stuff. And wrote a 12 page players guide. It's ... pretty damn awesome to be honest.

I think all of the canon npcs are there, plus loads of new ones. We ended up making Magnus angry, so he buggered off in a huff, but we saved the dog and impressed Geoffrey. Who, did I mention, is *wonderful*

The effort that must have taken is ridiculous... Arcanum is one of my favorite settings, but I haven't even been able to beat it once yet.

I believe you did mention awesome Geoffrey, If I'm not mistaken. XD

I have always wanted to make a Ferelden (Dragon Age Origins) campaign setting, but I don't have nearly the time neccesary.

Bastian Weaver
2012-02-23, 03:52 PM
I once DMed an X-Men campaign which had one of Sailormoon demon generals fight against Matsu'o Tsurayaba with the help of two mercenaries named Thomas and Gerald.
In another story Peter Pan visited Xavier's School for a night, and then two young mutants had to rescue a Narnian talking elephant from the local zoo.
Good times.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-02-23, 09:17 PM
Next with that group, if we can find a good rule set that works for us, we are thinking of a Ghostbusters campaign based off of real-life ghost stories and legends around the Chicago area. Ideally we'd like to adapt the d20 Modern rules, but if that's not feasible then we might try another system.

If I recall correctly, there's both an actual Ghostbusters RPG floating around and a Ghostbusters-with-the-name-changed RPG (called Inspectres?).

Nero24200
2012-02-24, 05:55 AM
I've always been interested in a game set in "The World" from the dot//hack series, where the players play as people playing an online MMO and have to solve some kind of mystery using actions that are a mix of their IG avatars and their "RL" characters.

smashbro
2012-02-24, 12:42 PM
When I have time someday, I'm going to do a Nintendo world, with smash bros characters, but I haven't had the time to make the character sheets yet.

Also plan on doing a string of single adventures that correspond to a tv show on this site, after the one I'm currently trying to start.