PDA

View Full Version : The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled[3.5e PrC PEACH]

Blaze12692
2012-02-20, 11:48 PM
Pyrokineticist

"I am the fire that cleanses the world!"

-Insert awesome picture here-

Hit Die: d6
Requirements
To qualify to become a pyrokineticist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
•Power: Control Flames.
•Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Knowledge (psionics) 8 ranks, and Psicraft 4 ranks

Class Skills
The pyrokineticist’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are; Autohypnosis (Wis), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Pyrokineticist
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Manifesting

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Ignition Spike, Fire Adaption, Fire Mastery|+1 level of existing manifesting class

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Burning Strikes|+1 level of existing manifesting class

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3||+1 level of existing manifesting class

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Ignition Spear|+1 level of existing manifesting class

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Blazing Blade|+1 level of existing manifesting class

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5||+1 level of existing manifesting class

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Greater Burning Strikes|+1 level of existing manifesting class

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Fear No Fire|+1 level of existing manifesting class

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Primal Flames|+1 level of existing manifesting class

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Conflagration|+1 level of existing manifesting class [/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Pyrokineticists gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Powers Known: At every level a Pyrokineticist gains additional power points per day and access to new powers as if he had also gained a level in whatever manifesting class he belonged to before he added the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (bonus feats, metapsionic or item creation feats etc.). This essentially means that he adds the level of pyrokineticist to the level of whatever manifesting class the character has, and then determines power points per day, powers known, and manifester level accordingly.
If a character had more than one manifesting class before he became a pyrokineticist, he must decide to which class he adds the new level of pyrokineticist for the purpose of determining power points per day, powers known, and manifester level.

Ignition Spike (Ps): A pyrokineticist gains the ability to summon a long sword of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a swift action. He takes no damage from a pyroblade he creates, and if he releases his hold, it immediately dissipates. The blade deals 1d6 (Plus the higher of the user’s Strength or manifesting ability modifier) points of fire damage. A pyro can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if he otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the pyroblade, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard sword. The blade remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.

Fire Adaptation (Ex): A pyrokineticist gains fire resistance 5 for every class level.

Fire Mastery (Ps): Powers with the fire descriptor may be used at a reduced cost of 1 power point for every 4 manifester levels.

Burning Strikes (Ps): A pyrokineticist of 2nd level or higher can activate this ability as a move-equivalent action. Flames engulf the pyrokineticist’s hands (but do him or his equipment no harm), or weapon. His unarmed attacks are treated as armed. Such attacks deal an extra 1d6 points of fire damage. This can be used in conjunction with your pyroblade class feature. You may spend your psionic focus to double the bonus damage.

Ignition Spear (Ps): By using your psionic focus you may increase Pyroblades’s reach by +5 per four class levels. This ability lasts for a number of rounds equal to your intelligence modifier.

Blazing Blade (Ps): A pyrokineticist of 5th level or higher can activate this ability as a move-equivalent action. His pyroblade upgrades from a 1d6 longsword to a 2d6 greatsword (plus 1.5x the higher of the user’s strength or manifesting ability modifier if wielded with both hands). All feats that applied to the pyroblade still function for the blazing blade.

Greater Burning Strikes (Ps): At 7th level, when a pyrokineticist activates his burning strikes ability, his unarmed attack or weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of fire damage instead of 1d6. You may spend your psionic focus to double the bonus damage.

Fear No Fire (Ex): At 8th level, a pyrokineticist becomes highly resistant to fire, they gain fire immunity.

Primal Flames (Ex): The flames of a 9th level Pyrokineticist become unstoppable. Saturated with primal energy, nothing can stand in their path. Ignoring fire resistance, and even dealing half damage even to creatures with fire immunity.

Conflagration (Ps): At 10th level, a Pyrokineticist gains the ability to create a massive burst of raging flames around himself, burning everything in the area. Once per day, by expending his psionic focus and 10 power points, he may cause a burst of flame emanating from himself. This explosion has a radius of up to 50ft, size determined by the Pyrokineticist at the time of manifestation, dealing 20d6. Any creature or object caught in the burst can make a Reflex saving throw for half damage. Anyone failing the Reflex save against the Conflagration must also make a Fortitude saving throw (same DC) or die as they turn to ash. (DC 10 + ½ character level + manifesting mod.)

Hello every one long time lurker first time poster. This is something my D.M. and I worked up as a high powered redux for the Pyro. Kinda wanted it to be a bit gishy, but have some pp reduction for improved blasting. So how's it look?

Grinner
2012-02-21, 12:17 AM
small issue: "Ignition Spike" is referred to as "Pyroblade" in the chart.

Blaze12692
2012-02-21, 05:50 PM
Alright fixed, anything else? Does it suck, is it decent, over powered?

Grinner
2012-02-21, 06:57 PM
-Conceptually, I like it. It strikes me as a more martially focused take on the SRD's Pyrokineticist.

-I'll put it bluntly. The class is pretty much useless to anyone that might be interested in it, primarily the Psychic Warrior. The Psicraft 4 requirement means that while it can be taken at level 5, he'll have to spend his scarce skill points on a cross-class skill, with little benefit in return. Those that can take it, the Psion and the Wilder, don't have much use for it.

On the upside, the Complete Psionic base classes can still make use of it.

-How does Ignition Spike interact with the wielder's size? Also, you might want to reword the "standard sword" bit.

-+5 fire resistance per level seems a bit excessive? Maybe it's just me.

-In Ignition Spear's description, Pyroblade should be changed to Ignition Spike.

-Try rewording Blazing Blade. As it's written, it receives no benefit from Ignition Spear. Also, two-handed weapons must be wielded with two hands. Which brings up a question, are the pyroblades weightless?

As for its overall power, it does seem a little bit overpowered to me. It gets two good save progressions, almost full BAB, increased manifesting ability, and its class abilities. Then again, the character that takes this will likely be martially focused, and will need to keep up with others. I'd recommend getting a second opinion.

Soliloquy
2012-02-21, 07:08 PM
I recommend taking off levels of manifesting.

Blaze12692
2012-02-21, 08:15 PM
Ok, So what if I removed the Psicraft requirement, Lowered the BAB to low, and made the fire resistance 5/2 that would put you up to 15 before you got immunity at level 8? And I'll defiantly reword those, and put in information regarding size, it in all reality scale with size.

I honestly had no idea that the greatsword was a two handed weapon I've only ever played in one group and for us it's one hand you use your strength bonus and if you use two it's one and a half times. As far as the weight I'm not to sure, they never really said that for the whip in the original, I'm leaning towards weightless, but I still want it to apply strength for Psy-warrior

I want to try and avoid removing manifester levels if at all possible so they can gain the full benefit of Fire mastery with out spending a feat on practiced manifester.

I had that all typed up in the original before a server error made me lose my edit.

Soliloquy
2012-02-21, 08:33 PM
I just meant that that would work if you wanted a 3/4 BAB