PDA

View Full Version : Potentially Problematic Player

Giggling Ghast
2012-02-21, 02:21 PM
EDIT: OK, thanks Kurald.

Kurald Galain
2012-02-21, 02:27 PM
(1) it says "damage based on your level", not "damage equal to your level", so you stick to the table; it's 2d6 for all of heroic tier.

(2) every encounter power can be used once per encounter, so if you have four of them you get to use all four in every encounter. This is explained in the section on powers in the PHB1 (among others). This means that when you get to higher level, most characters will use their at-will powers less and less.

Giggling Ghast
2012-03-12, 05:35 PM
So for the last couple of months, I've been running a game for about four people. It's been mostly good up to this point; one guy did complain that the initial monsters were too weak, so I gave them harder encounters. I haven't skimped on the loot or the XP. I realize that I'm not the greatest DM and I have to get better at designing adventures, but I am improving.

I am concerned about one of my players, Paul. He's not really into roleplaying (none of my players really are), so he's mostly focused on the fighting end of things. He had an issue with damage output, but I gave him a magic axe that's helped quite a bit.

Still, he seems bored. In the last session, he's taken to stacking dice when it's not his turn and sending texts. He isn't disrupting the table; it just doesn't seem like he's having a lot of fun.

I asked a couple of my other players and they don't seem to think there's a problem. "That's just how Paul acts," they say. Still, I worry.

So, is this a problem I have to nip in the bud? Any advice?

Sipex
2012-03-13, 09:37 AM
All you really can do is keep open to feedback and keep DMing. Your friends are probably right, that's just how Paul acts, so it's not going to help if you worry.

It could be something involuntary like ADD. I've known players with ADD before and they tend to do small fiddly-like things between turns like stacking dice and sending texts. As long as Paul is ready to go once you ask you should be ok.