PDA

View Full Version : Lastai's Caress...What?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-21, 03:35 PM
Okay, so I'm making a cleric/sacred exorcist for a game and I'm preparing my spells and I look through the BoED and what do I find? Lastai's caress!

It's...it's beautiful. A no-save-just-suck for rounds per level. It only works on creatures you know to be evil, but that's a price I'm willing to pay (especially since sacred exorcists get detect evil at will). Still, this feels...extremely unfair. Like, DM throwing a book at you unfair. Is there some errata I'm missing? I suppose the mind-affecting tag balances it a little...

Ernir
2012-02-21, 04:47 PM
Doesn't affect everyone, (and) a Mind-Affecting Compulsion, often needs to be part of a one-two combo with Detect Evil. Melee touch attack. 1/4 chance of the spell only rendering the target shaken each round.

Still, good spell. Hardly viable as a main combat tactic, but really handy to have prepared if the right situation comes up.

ngilop
2012-02-21, 07:08 PM
seconding what Ernir says, unless it s soemthing like a Vrock or some other sor tof obvious evil thing. it really is a 2 part chain, detect evil THEN Lastai's Caress.

IMO D&D has laways been about the good guys saving X formt eh vil guys, so yeah. Exatled spells should be pretty AMAZING.. only those dman vile spells and vile feats are like 3 times as good.. dumb as hell!.

Namfuak
2012-02-21, 07:35 PM
This could be used for tracking someone too - if you happen to be chasing a guy who you already know is evil (you saw him kill someone in cold blood or something), if you have some way to cast touch spells as close range spells, just DMM persist it and you can scour the city the next day for a guy walking around changing between being shaken, frightened, nauseated, or cowering every 6 seconds for the next day.

Tr011
2012-02-21, 09:00 PM
I'm playing an evil wizard right now, so check it out: Death by Thorns (lvl 7 spell) from BoVD is an melee save-or-die that even almost kills the enemy if he makes his save. But that's it with those descriptors: most enemies are immune, so the spells may be stronger. And melee spells are the strongest anyway.

Skyrunner
2012-02-21, 11:15 PM
Spectral hand would allow you to deliver touch spells, right? Even if te caress is good... Right?:smallconfused:

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-21, 11:29 PM
Spectral hand would allow you to deliver touch spells, right? Even if te caress is good... Right?:smallconfused:

Of course. Necromancy != Evil. Only [Evil] spells are evil, like deathwatch. :smallsigh: Damn Book of Vile Darkness.

Tr011
2012-02-21, 11:37 PM

Only for spells with lvl <= 4 IIRC.

SirFredgar
2012-02-21, 11:37 PM
This could be used for tracking someone too - if you happen to be chasing a guy who you already know is evil (you saw him kill someone in cold blood or something), if you have some way to cast touch spells as close range spells, just DMM persist it and you can scour the city the next day for a guy walking around changing between being shaken, frightened, nauseated, or cowering every 6 seconds for the next day.

Um, a little bit off. Reach spell turns it into a fixed range for persist. A Close range (or 25'+5'/2casterlevels) cannot be persisted. But yes.... such a person wandering the street would certainly attract a lot of attention.