PDA

View Full Version : Partially-sighted person can't create account

keldorn
2012-02-21, 04:02 PM
Hi,
There's someone over at the comments page for the OOTS Kickstarter who says he is having trouble creating an account here because he can't enter the security code. Is there a mod with a Kickstarter account who can message him and help out?

keldorn
2012-02-21, 04:13 PM
Problem sorted. He got in with a lucky guess.

Happy Me
2012-02-21, 04:16 PM
I'm in! I made it! Thank you very much for posting this so quickly.

Although if an important person (moderator etc.) reads this, maybe the contact email anti-spam protections could be a touch less robust?

Added in edit:

How delightfully embarrassing, my first post includes a whine about email security. My Apologies and an Explanation.

I participated in the KS drive and decided to register here. I asked for registration help on Kickstarter's comment thread due to my multiple fails at passing the registration’s page visual code test and because the contact email required me to pass that same test to contact/email the administrators. Ha ha, nice trap! So this help thread was posted by keldorn (Thanks again!) in response to me asking for help at KS. Of course as it posted, one of my multiple blind (ha!) guessing attempts worked and I was in. I first posted to thank keldorn and just tossed in the whiny suggestion.

So to clarify what I meant with my whine, I mean suggestion. I suggested reducing only the Contact email’s anti-spam defenses, if possible. This thought flowed out of my mind and onto the post without me thinking about context. It occurred because I had just escaped the trap where I could not pass the same one visual test (out of several) to either register an account or email anyone for help. If I had not been a bit excited due to the fundraising drive, I am sure that I could have tracked down another contact method besides that one that would have just fine (or got someone to read the screen to me etc.).

My first post should not have included a suggestion for a fix that I have no way of knowing if it is practical, addressed before, etc. So no worries on my end about access and my apologies for my first-post coarseness.

Boci
2012-02-21, 05:22 PM
The issue was raised a while ago and nothing came of it. I'm pretty sure the stance is that it is easier to have visually impaired people ask for help once than risk the board being periodically subjected to spam. Would toying with the colour scheme help? Maybe if you took a screen shot and then used paint to invert the colours?

happyturtle
2012-02-21, 07:01 PM
Maybe upgrading the site to meet Accessibility Guidelines will be one of the things Rich will do with the Kickstarter funds. :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2012-02-22, 03:08 AM
We apologise for the difficulty and in the future we may be investigating options as we make a few changes to the site.