PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Wisdom Teeth!

noparlpf
2012-02-21, 04:57 PM
I had my wisdom teeth out this morning. It was kind of neat. Local anesthesia feels really weird. I'm finally starting to get feeling back in my lower lip and chin, which is the last bit of face without feeling.
I'm kind of disappointed, though. I've heard all kinds of cool stories about being basically high on the anesthetics or painkillers afterwards, and I'm fine. Slightly dizzy because I haven't eaten today, but that's all.
I got to keep my teeth, though! They're kind of neat. But I guess I need to find some bleach or something to get the bits of gum stuck to a few of them off. Or formaldehyde to disinfect them, maybe. Whatever, I'll deal with that later.

So does anybody around here have any neat wisdom teeth surgery stories?

SaintRidley
2012-02-21, 08:13 PM
They put me under, but I woke up about five minutes later. Mostly numb, but I could still feel it and it hurt.

They also nicked my tongue with the bone saw, which was not fun.

I wound up keeping the teeth. Soak them in milk for a bit - that'll help the enamel. Brush them well to get rid of any gunk first, though.

My dad helped me drill holes in them so I could make a necklace. We got through two before the drill bit broke though, so I've got a half-completed set and still need to get around to getting the others drilled. This was about seven years ago.

Starscream
2012-02-22, 10:30 AM
I didn't get put completely under. Just Novocaine and Nitrous. Hated the experience, it felt like I kept jolting awake from a dream of getting my teeth pulled to find that I really was getting my teeth pulled. Repeatedly.

I can't say it really hurt, though. The hard part was the next two days, which I spent drooling blood and consuming only milkshakes.

Yeah, not fun, but at least having them removed meant I never needed braces like my brother. He had that ridiculous looking headgear to sleep in as well. I tend to sleep on my face a lot, so if I had to wear that I just know I'd wake up to shredded pillows and feathers in my teeth.

Savannah
2012-02-22, 10:12 PM
Now you'll never be a cleric! :smalltongue: 'course, I can't talk, I had mine out a few years ago.

I, too, have my teeth somewhere (along with all my baby teeth) -- I would have insisted I keep them if the dentist hadn't offered :smallamused:

Don't have any stories, though. I had the ones on the left taken out and then the ones on the right a few weeks later (so I could always eat without trouble), and it was a very simple, easy to recover from procedure.

Dr.Epic
2012-02-22, 10:14 PM
No! Don't do that! You'll take a -2 penalty to wisdom without them.:smallwink:

AtlanteanTroll
2012-02-22, 10:42 PM
I never need my Wisdom Teeth out.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 10:45 PM
Holy poop my face hurtsss. I lay down for a nap three hours ago with a fresh painkiller, and slept on the swollen side of my face. Now it's four times as swollen and hurts like heck.

Whiffet
2012-02-22, 10:53 PM
Holy poop my face hurtsss. I lay down for a nap three hours ago with a fresh painkiller, and slept on the swollen side of my face. Now it's four times as swollen and hurts like heck.

Ouch. :smallfrown: It'll feel better in time, I promise.

Have you used this as an excuse to guilt other people into making/buying you milkshakes yet?

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 10:59 PM
Liberal ice helped until the four hours were up, and the new painkiller is kicking in...hope I don't get addicted to these; the relief of pain combined with the fact that it's a narcotic and that a tendency for addictions runs in my family...that would stink.

Haven't had any milkshakes, no. The oral surgeon said no dairy yesterday; apparently it can interfere with the clots. I haven't had any today either though. Mostly just applesauce. I did manage a bit of fresh papaya cut into tiny pieces, and I've been drinking papaya juice because it's supposed to help oral wounds heal faster.
I miss meat.

Look teeth.
http://i42.tinypic.com/riwzg4.jpg

Traab
2012-02-22, 11:31 PM
Liberal ice helped until the four hours were up, and the new painkiller is kicking in...hope I don't get addicted to these; the relief of pain combined with the fact that it's a narcotic and that a tendency for addictions runs in my family...that would stink.

Haven't had any milkshakes, no. The oral surgeon said no dairy yesterday; apparently it can interfere with the clots. I haven't had any today either though. Mostly just applesauce. I did manage a bit of fresh papaya cut into tiny pieces, and I've been drinking papaya juice because it's supposed to help oral wounds heal faster.
I miss meat.

Look teeth.
http://i42.tinypic.com/riwzg4.jpg

Meh, i wouldnt worry too much about addiction, I doubt you were given enough to get truly hooked on, and even if you were, you arent going to get refills, so unless you know a guy who can hook you up, you will dry out fast enough once the pills run out. It sucked when i got my teeth yanked. I dont have insurance so I couldnt afford pain pills. I got stuck taking tylenol pms and praying for it to stop hurting.

noparlpf
2012-02-22, 11:34 PM
Meh, i wouldnt worry too much about addiction, I doubt you were given enough to get truly hooked on, and even if you were, you arent going to get refills, so unless you know a guy who can hook you up, you will dry out fast enough once the pills run out. It sucked when i got my teeth yanked. I dont have insurance so I couldnt afford pain pills. I got stuck taking tylenol pms and praying for it to stop hurting.

It's mostly acetaminophen (325 mg) with only a little oxycodone (5 mg). So it's probably not a serious concern. But it sure works fast. Too bad it wears off in only three hours...then I have to wait through an hour of pain before I can take another.

Cobra_Ikari
2012-02-22, 11:55 PM
Hope the recovery goes quickly. I seem to remember it involving these annoying sharp splinters of bone poking out of your gums. That sucked.

As for the high, most people I know (including myself) said the anesthetics given just made them feel really talkative. Which seems like an awful side effect given that someone is about to be crunching around inside your mouth.

Soylent Dave
2012-02-23, 12:32 AM
'course, I can't talk, I had mine out a few years ago.

I didn't realise wisdom teeth were so integral to one's ability to speak...

It's mostly acetaminophen (325 mg) with only a little oxycodone (5 mg). So it's probably not a serious concern.

Acetaminophen (aka paracetamol aka tylenol) isn't addictive, so we don't need to worry about that.

Oxycodone is very addictive - but you're taking a teensy tiny dose, and you won't be taking it for very long. You'd need to be taking it regularly, at at much larger doses, for weeks, for addiction to be a realistic concern (and it leaves your system super-quick (it's a synthetic opiate), which makes 'accidental addiction' a bit harder, too)

It sucked when i got my teeth yanked. I dont have insurance so I couldnt afford pain pills

That is a terrifying world you live in, right there.

Kneenibble
2012-02-23, 12:34 AM
I will pay you $35.00 CD if you send me those teeth in the mail.

I'm not joking.

Savannah
2012-02-23, 12:37 AM
I didn't realise wisdom teeth were so integral to one's ability to speak...

....I like you :smallamused:

I'm not joking.

Do I want to know what you want them for? :smalleek:

Mauve Shirt
2012-02-23, 07:03 AM
I was put under completely when I got mine taken out. Had the typical swollen jaw for a day or two, got some Vicodin but never felt the need to take it, ibuprofen worked just fine. It's such a relief not to have them, my mouth was really crowded.

Asta Kask
2012-02-23, 07:08 AM
My mutant power is that I never had any. I would rather have gone with super-strength, but that was taken.

Yora
2012-02-23, 07:34 AM
I had one of the upper ones removed with just the regular anesthetic the dentists uses for most painful things. It all went very smothly. He tehn told me to go the the pharmacy to get painkillers. Which turned out to be a waste of money, because when the injection wore of all I felt was a slight bruising and I never took any.
However, some people told me that it's the lower ones that are the real nightmares. Also for some reason that tooth was in a really awful condition, because my previous dentist sucked and never noticed anything wrong with it. I assume being a wisdom teeth, the new dentist just didn't want to bother going through a lengthy proccess of restoring it, when there's a good chance it would have to come out at some point in the near future anyway. Which also might have made the whole thing easier then if there had been any problems with my jaws.

noparlpf
2012-02-23, 11:08 AM
Hope the recovery goes quickly. I seem to remember it involving these annoying sharp splinters of bone poking out of your gums. That sucked.

As for the high, most people I know (including myself) said the anesthetics given just made them feel really talkative. Which seems like an awful side effect given that someone is about to be crunching around inside your mouth.

Thanks!

Huh. The stuff they put me on just made my face numb. I didn't feel talkative, and I was aware of the whole thing.

Acetaminophen (aka paracetamol aka tylenol) isn't addictive, so we don't need to worry about that.

Oxycodone is very addictive - but you're taking a teensy tiny dose, and you won't be taking it for very long. You'd need to be taking it regularly, at at much larger doses, for weeks, for addiction to be a realistic concern (and it leaves your system super-quick (it's a synthetic opiate), which makes 'accidental addiction' a bit harder, too)

I don't know much about oxycodone, just that it's a highly addictive narcotic. But yeah, 5 mg every four hours for three days probably won't do much.

I'm not joking.

Umm...what do you want with my teeth?

My mutant power is that I never had any. I would rather have gone with super-strength, but that was taken.

Lucky! Though super-healing would be my mutant power of choice. A Wolverine-level healing factor? Yes please.

I had one of the upper ones removed with just the regular anesthetic the dentists uses for most painful things. It all went very smothly. He tehn told me to go the the pharmacy to get painkillers. Which turned out to be a waste of money, because when the injection wore of all I felt was a slight bruising and I never took any.
However, some people told me that it's the lower ones that are the real nightmares. Also for some reason that tooth was in a really awful condition, because my previous dentist sucked and never noticed anything wrong with it. I assume being a wisdom teeth, the new dentist just didn't want to bother going through a lengthy proccess of restoring it, when there's a good chance it would have to come out at some point in the near future anyway. Which also might have made the whole thing easier then if there had been any problems with my jaws.

I just had all four out at once, and I can tell you it's the lower ones that are worse for me. Something to do with more bone and muscle to go through or around.