PDA

View Full Version : Best abilities that add rider effects onto maneuvers? (3.5/.P)

Coidzor
2012-02-21, 06:02 PM
So I know that power attack and certain properties from weapons, such as sudden stunning will take effect and combine with maneuvers, but I haven't really heard about any especially good combos that have come up in conversation before. The most I've heard is combining a touch attack using emerald razor with power attack for full.

Just sorta got curious after I just read about Brutal Strike and Intimidating Strike over in this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233598)

So what feats/class ability dips/weapon properties combo well with maneuvers in general and what are the most notable specific combos?

Or is it such that between boosts, stances, and strikes, most combos that one could try would basically be replicated/exceeded by maneuvers themselves?

On a more personal note, if one were playing 3.P, any especial abilities or feats that would come to mind as both good and compatible with strikes or would have good synergy with any stances/boosts?

Talionis
2012-02-21, 06:14 PM
Sneak Attack and things that trigger off of it. All of the Strike Feats like Concussive Strike, Staggering Strike, Throat Punch, etc. So also the Spellthief Abilities geared off of sneak attack work.

Zaq
2012-02-21, 07:36 PM
This sounds like a job for poison.

Eldan
2012-02-21, 08:14 PM
Sneak Attack and things that trigger off of it. All of the Strike Feats like Concussive Strike, Staggering Strike, Throat Punch, etc. So also the Spellthief Abilities geared off of sneak attack work.

Interestingly, Assassin's Stance should let you qualify for a lot of them.

Manateee
2012-02-21, 08:29 PM
I'm not going to dig around, but:
Improved Grab/Trip (as Wolf)
Knockback/Knockdown
Psionic Strike/Deep Impact/Lurk Augments (not the best, but could be a fun project to try to work in)
Various Soulmelds (eg. Incarnate Weapon, Thunderstep boots)
Ordained Champion/Spellsword's spell channeling
Arcane Strike/Abjurant Champion boosts
Touch Spells (Unarmed)

I try to get the Ordained Champion's channeling into RKV builds - especially Gestalt RKV builds - because of how nicely the action economy works out with Travel Devotion movement, Move action spell, and Standard action strikes.

Deep Impact+Psionic Meditation and the Incarnate Weapon's Stun could be worked into similar setups, but they each have their own difficulties (the PsyWar build's limited endurance and overspecialization and the IW's low ML/stun DC)

Coidzor
2012-02-21, 08:45 PM
This sounds like a job for poison.

So poisons are competitive with the swift actions that martial adepts have access to then? Or more just a before combat/hilt-poison-applicator-thing-from-dungeonscape(?) thing?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-21, 08:50 PM
Poisons are more like a pre-battle buff, in the sense that you have it already online before the battle start, leaving your actions to use boosts or counters.

Also there is always the boomerang daze+aptitude weapon to force saves vs. daze on every attack,.

Zaq
2012-02-21, 09:42 PM
So poisons are competitive with the swift actions that martial adepts have access to then? Or more just a before combat/hilt-poison-applicator-thing-from-dungeonscape(?) thing?

They're an alternative, if nothing else.

Also, you can find ways of reducing the action cost. A Collar of Perpetual Attendance (or whatever that item that grants Unsern Servant at-will is called) is cheap, for example.

Also, as stated, yeah, they're a pre-battle buff.

Talionis
2012-02-21, 10:16 PM
Interestingly, Assassin's Stance should let you qualify for a lot of them.

Assassin's Stance also let's you qualify for many different prestige classes without going Rogue.

Can you use the Duskblade channel ability?

Coidzor
2012-02-21, 10:25 PM
Assassin's Stance also let's you qualify for many different prestige classes without going Rogue.

Can you use the Duskblade channel ability?

I was trying to remember if that was a standard action in and of itself or not....

Dusk Eclipse
2012-02-21, 10:37 PM
Duskblade channeling is a standard action; but you can add a spell to your maneuver by using a spellstoring weapon for any spell (Lesser orb X works wonders) or a bloodstone weapon to empower a vampiric touch spell for free, though you will need either a high CL wand which can be expensive (maybe a custom magic item would be more cost-effective) or a friendly spellcaster which can spare a couple of spell slots to sink into your weapon.

navar100
2012-02-21, 11:34 PM
Pathfinder has several critical hit feats that allow you to apply a negative condition upon your opponent when you get a critical hit.

avr
2012-02-22, 03:07 AM
Also there is always the boomerang daze+aptitude weapon to force saves vs. daze on every attack,.
Or even using actual boomerangs, with a couple of levels in the Bloodstorm blade PrC. Strike of perfect clarity might be a little more useful with a DC 100+ save to avoid Daze tacked on.

Talionis
2012-02-23, 08:59 AM
Ordained Champions channel ability, which is better than the Duskblade at least third level ability yo channel, will work with maneuvers. It also automatically works with rays and AoE spells, just changing the effected target to the one person hit.