PDA

View Full Version : The Grey Movie Discussion

Sneaky Weasel
2012-02-21, 06:29 PM
So I just saw the movie The Grey, with Liam Neeson. I'll say this up front: I thought it was great. However, there are a few points that make me a bit leery of it.
The basic plot is that a plane, transporting workers at an oil drill in Alaska, crashes into the tundra. Stranded in the cold, the seven survivors must make a plan to get back to civilization. However, a pack of wolves start stalking them, picking them off one by one.
The main beef I have with this movie is that it portrayed wolves as vicious, bloodthirsty killers. Of course, from the point of view of their victims this is what they are, but wolves as a species are far more complex than this. This was explained somewhat at the end:
The survivors are heading directly for the wolves den without knowing it, thus making the wolves attack to defend their territory.
But I still think it made them somewhat more vicious than they would be. I know this is a movie and they have to make it dramatic, but in my opinion the public doesn't need another source telling them that wolves are monsters.
That said, I thought the characters were excellent, the scenes of Alaskan wilderness were beautiful, and the death scenes(there are several) had a pathos that is rarely seen in movies these days. It seemed like there were actually people dying, and my disbelief was completely suspended. It pitted man against nature, and as always, nature brutally triumphs.
The thing that really made the movie for me was the ending.
John Ottway(Liam Neeson) is the only remaining survivor, and has stumbled into the very den of the wolves. The surround him, and he realizes that he is going to die. It is at this point that it is revealed that his wife is actually dead, and he has nothing left to live for. Reciting the poem of his father, he arms himself with a knife and some broken bottles taped to his fingers, and then charges the alpha wolf. And that's it, the movie ends. He obviously dies, but he dies fighting. I thought this was great, and the poem sends chills down my spine. After the credits roll, you see a shot of his head laying on the(presumably dead) alpha's stomach.

However, the thing that really makes me conflicted about this movie is that the filmmakers payed a trapper for four wolf carcasses, two to be used in shooting and two to be eaten by the cast. Eaten by the cast. As a believer in animal rights and a vegan, I have to say that this is completely unnecessary and horrible. Also, this movie couldn't have come at a worse time, as wolves have just been taken off the endangered species list, and hunting season for them will soon begin. I just hope that the public wont be fooled into thinking it's cinematic portrayal of wolves is real.
Any thoughts, comments or questions?

nyarlathotep
2012-02-22, 02:58 AM
I thought the movie was pretty good and as you said it had a lot of emotional resonance. On the other hand I don't think it will cause many actual problems for wolves, because usually the sort of people who have access to both the wolves themselves and the firearms to hunt them effectively have lived in contact with them for a long time. They already know when and how a wolf can be dangerous and will usually take measures to prevent those occurrences.

As for being taken off the endangered species list I really don't see that as any sort of bad thing. They have recovered enough population to not need protection and the number of humans that need to hunt for sustenance has dropped dramatically. Even beyond that given how regulated hunting is nowadays their populations currently mean that hunting is necessary to prevent them from over-hunting the prey populations in the areas (assuming humans are also hunting those prey animals in a regulated manner). There's a reason hunting is limited to season for most animals and depending on region even that is limited to a specific number per hunter.

I also don't really see a problem with eating a wolf they bought from a hunter anymore than I would see a problem with eating a deer one bought from a hunter or eating ham from the supermarket.

Brother Oni
2012-02-22, 07:36 AM
On the other hand I don't think it will cause many actual problems for wolves, because usually the sort of people who have access to both the wolves themselves and the firearms to hunt them effectively have lived in contact with them for a long time. They already know when and how a wolf can be dangerous and will usually take measures to prevent those occurrences.

Until the weekend trip hunters from the 'big city' turn up. :smallsigh:

I also don't really see a problem with eating a wolf they bought from a hunter anymore than I would see a problem with eating a deer one bought from a hunter or eating ham from the supermarket.

I don't see a problem with it as well. I believe that most movies these days have their human/animal live interactions monitored by the AHA - if the animal's dead then there's no scope for animal abuse (it's a carcass of meat) and assuming that they don't do something questionable with the remains (eg disembowel it, smear the entrails over their bodies and run around with the freshly flayed pelt on their heads or something more illegal), I don't see an issue with it.

If anything, the only biut that's really questionable is how the hunter killed the wolves in the first place.

Ricky S
2012-02-27, 08:04 AM
Just watched it and I thought it was thoroughly depressing. They all die, he wants to die anyway, they kill wolves. What is there to like about this film? (not saying it is bad, just negative)

Axinian
2012-02-27, 04:54 PM
The ending pissed me off a bit. Not because it wasn't fitting or bad, but Liam Nesson fighting a wolf with broken bottles is something that needs to be put on the big screen just by virtue of its sheer awesomeness! Cutting off at that point was a bit disappointing :P