PDA

View Full Version : The Zhentarim Brute (3.5 PrC, PEACH)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 03:09 PM
The Zhentarim Brute

This is a prestige class for the Zhentarim Soldier, from the Champions of Valor web enhancement on the Wizards of the Coast website.

Prerequisites: In order to become a Zhentarim Brute, you must meet all of the following prerequisites:

Skills: Intimidate 12 ranks
Base Attack Bonus: +9
Feat: Skill Focus (Intimidate)
Special: Must have the Swift Demoralization class feature

HD: d10
Class Skills: The Zhentarim Brute's class skills are Bluff, Climb, Craft, Diplomacy, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Ride, and Swim.
Skill Points: 4+Int per level

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+1|+2|+0|+0|Strong-Armed Glare

2nd|+2|+3|+0|+0|I'm Not Playing Here

3rd|+3|+3|+1|+1|Heart of the Brute

4th|+4|+4|+1|+1|Frightful Presence

5th|+5|+4|+1|+1|Death Threat
[/table]

Class Features: The following are the class features of the Zhentarim brute:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Zhentarim brute gains no additional proficiencies.

Strong-Armed Glare (Ex): A Zhentarim brute's incredible strength is what creatures fear, not his sharp tongue. They fear that he's going to beat the crap out of them, not embarrass or humiliate them. A Zhentarim brute may add his Strength modifier to his Intimidate checks, in addition to his Charisma modifier.

I'm Not Playing Here (Ex): A Zhentarim brute doesn't make empty threats and hope someone will back off. He makes extremely valid threats and forces that creature to back off. Starting at 2nd level, whenever a Zhentarim brute makes an Intimidate check against a creature that he has damaged within the last minute, he receives a +4 bonus to that check. This bonus only applies to the first Intimidate check a Zhentarim brute makes against a creature after damaging it. He does not receive the bonus against the same creature again (even if he damages that creature again) until at least one hour has passed (at which point, he may damage the creature and receive his bonus again).

Heart of the Brute (Ex): Nothing is scarier than a Zhentarim brute. He can look into the eyes of a dragon ten times his size and yawn. At 3rd level, a Zhentarim brute becomes immune to fear, both mundane and magical. Any attempt to Intimidate him automatically fails.

Frightful Presence (Ex): A well-trained Zhentarim brute doesn't need to speak or even look at a creature to scare it off. He just needs to swing his blade and show that creature what will happen to it if it crosses him. Starting at 4th level, the Zhentarim brute gains the Frightful Presence ability. When he attacks or charges, all enemies within 30 feet who can see and hear him must make a Will save (DC 10+1/2 his character level+his Strength or Charisma modifier, chosen when this ability is gained and cannot be changed later). Creatures with 5 or fewer HD who fail their save become panicked for 4d6 rounds, while creatures with greater than 5 HD who fail their saves are shaken for 1 minute. A creature whose HD exceeds the Zhentarim brute's character level is immune to his Frightful Presence. A creature who succeeds its saving throw against the Zhentarim brute's Frightful Presence is immune to his Frightful Presence for 24 hours.

Death Threat (Ex): A well-trained and mighty Zhentarim brute can scare a creature to its core, to the point where that creature no longer fears death...it knows that nothing could kill it as painfully and horribly as the Zhentarim brute. As a full-round action, a Zhentarim brute may make a special Intimidate check. To do so, he must be threatening his target, and his target must be completely helpless (generally bound by rope or paralyzed with a spell, etc). The target must have taken at least 20 points of lethal damage dealt by the Zhentarim brute personally with a melee weapon, and must not have had that damage healed yet. The DC for the check is 30, and if the target's HD exceeds the Zhentarim brute's character level, the check automatically fails. If the Zhentarim brute succeeds the check, however, the creature's attitude towards the Zhentarim brute becomes fanatical (See the Epic Use of the Diplomacy skill). The creature will aid, fight, and die for the Zhentarim brute, in order to stop him from harming it any further. This attitude change lasts as long as the Zhentarim brute stays in the creature's presence and for 24 hours afterwards, after which the creature's attitude towards the Zhentarim brute drops to hostile. However, the Zhentarim brute receives a +4 bonus to his Intimidate check every time he attempts it against that creature to return its attitude to fanatical. (This bonus does not stack with itself)

chrisrawr
2012-02-22, 08:31 PM
Continue bonus feat progression would be my only qualm. Perhaps allow him to make intimidate attempts as part of or instead of an attack action, or to let him use CdG to frighten his opponent's allies?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 08:38 PM
Continue bonus feat progression would be my only qualm. Perhaps allow him to make intimidate attempts as part of or instead of an attack action, or to let him use CdG to frighten his opponent's allies?

He does get to Intimidate as part of an attack action, that's what Frightful Presence does. :smallconfused:

As for the actual skill, you can already demoralize as a swift action (it's part of the prerequisites for the class) so...you can full attack and demoralize in the same round, or move, attack, and demoralize in the same round.

And continuing bonus feat progression isn't going to work. You have to lose something when you join a prestige class (even full caster PrCs don't generally advance familiars or wizard feats). Besides, the idea is a fighter who puts off his weapon and combat training to focus on Intimidate.

As for coup de grace, again, he has Frightful Presence, so every time he attacks they need to save or be shaken, and since fear effects stack with each other, two failed saves in a row (two attack actions), would already render them frightened. Plus, scaring other people with a kill is already pretty out there in PrCs (The half-orc thug class from Races of Destiny, the Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel, etc). I dunno, I just don't see the need to write out its own ability when he's already scaring with every attack roll.

chrisrawr
2012-02-22, 08:46 PM
Derp, only saw charges.

WHELP, THAT'S THAT THEN.

Lyndworm
2012-02-24, 05:17 PM
I don't know how I missed this before today.

I loves it so much.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-24, 05:21 PM
Haha, thanks very much Lyndworm. And don't feel bad, I only posted it about 50 hours ago.

The Tygre
2012-02-24, 06:47 PM
Wait, do you mean Champions of Valor or Champions of Ruin?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-24, 11:15 PM
Wait, do you mean Champions of Valor or Champions of Ruin?

I mean exactly what I said. Champions of Valor.

Lyndworm
2012-02-24, 11:21 PM
Definitely Champions of Valor. It seems like an odd place for it, but that's how WotC works sometimes.

The Tygre
2012-02-24, 11:37 PM
... Well that's just silly.

Anyway, good class, I like it, the good ol' Zhents can't get enough love.