PDA

View Full Version : ruby knight Windicator - which spells (and what else) to abuse?

Phaederkiel
2012-02-22, 07:46 PM
(Do not worry, i am not a player that wants to ruin his dm's health, but a DM who needs again help with an NSC -

that, and there is no decent resource on pally spells to find)

So the question is:
which spells should my Big Bad use? He can cast spells up to pally lvl 3.

Battle Blessing is a given. He is quite a close combat beast, but i wish he had more spells that disable opponents.

spells so far:

Divine sacrifice - sacrifice 2 hitpoints for an aditional d6 in the next attack (up to 5 d6)

righteous fury - 1d4 temporary hit points per caster level (max 10d4), +2 natural AC, +2 enhancement to Strength, +2 enhancement to Dexterity, +2 sacred on Fortitude saves.

Rhinos rush - Deal double damage when charging for one round.

the character in question has the following feats. While I do not want this thread to focus on these, some comments would be appreciated

divine shield
divine might
battle blessing
awesome smite
law devotion
power attack
(travel devotion - only if I want to use flaws - I think he is really strong as-is)

Postmodernist
2012-02-23, 01:20 AM
Knight's Move will help him close in on his targets.

What's the overall scenario you intend to set up for your players? More information (party composition, etc.) would be helpful.

Darrin
2012-02-23, 08:37 AM
So the question is:
which spells should my Big Bad use? He can cast spells up to pally lvl 3.

Does he have the Magic domain? If so, then he can use scrolls/wands as a wizard. With wand chambers (100 GP, Dungeonscape), this opens up quite a bit of whoopass. For example:

Alter Fortune (PHBII, Sor/Wiz 3). Immediate action, force anyone to reroll.

Blade of Blood (PHBII, Everybody 1). +1d6 damage on next attack, or sacrifice 5 HP for +3d6 damage (hello Steely Resolve!)

Blades of Fire (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 1). Swift action, +1d8 fire damage on all your melee attacks for 1 round.

Bladeweave (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 2). Swift action, once per round choose a target, melee attack forces a Will save vs. dazed for 1 round.

Blockade (Complete Scoundrel, Sor/Wiz 1). Handy for blocking narrow corridors/doors, but also a ready supply of "I've got wood" jokes.

Energy Surge, Lesser (PBHII, Sor/Wiz 2). Swift action, +1d6 a la carte energy damage.

Kaupaer's Quickblast (online article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a), Sor/Wiz 1). Free/immediate/??? action, autohits. Allows a Ref save, but a great way to light things on fire.

Knight's Move (Spell Compendium, Clr 3/Pal 2). Swift action teleport to move into flanking position.

Nerveskitter (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 1). Suck on this, Improved Initiative.

Ruin Delver's Fortune (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 4). Immediate action toolkit, particularly the 4d8 + Cha mod HP as an immediate action, which could keep you alive another round or two.

Wraithstrike (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 2). Awesomesauce on toast.

Battle Blessing is a given. He is quite a close combat beast, but i wish he had more spells that disable opponents.

Could you define "disable" a little more? If he has time to prep and a wand of ghoul glyph (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 2), he could paralyze a good chunk of the party.

Nausea is also a good way to completely shut someone down: fetid breath (Ghostwalk, Sor/Wiz 1), cloud of bewilderment (Spell Compendium, Sor/Wiz 2), or stinking cloud (Core, Sor/Wiz 3).

NOhara24
2012-02-23, 08:47 AM
Zeal is a pretty nifty spell, it lets you move through enemies as if they were friends and gives you +4 AC to any AoOs you might provoke in the process.

Diamondsteel gives you half your armor AC bonus as DR.

Bladebane gives you an additional 2d6 against any subtype you specify.

But as far as spells go, you're not going to get what you really want. Paladin Spells aren't really good for battlefield control- they're neat tricks at best.

Make your BB a lockdown build. Give him a spiked chain and improved trip/stand still/defensive rebuke/Defensive Sweep/Combat Relfexes, have him pick maneuvers from white raven to prevent your PCs from taking AoOs.

Use your turn attempts for Divine Impetus to gain additional actions in a round, or use them for Divine Fury to gain an additional d10 to damage and a bonus to hit.