PDA

View Full Version : Science!(3.5 Feat, PEACH)

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-22, 10:55 PM
Science!
Magic? Bah, old wives tales. Science is the wave of the future man!

Prerequisites: Mage-Slayer, Int 13
This feat scales with the value of your Int. modifier.
+1-+2: You may choose one Knowledge Skill and one Craft Skill. From now on, these are treated as class skills for you.
+3-+4: Poetry in Motion 1-You can perform one additional swift action/round/encounter a number of times equal to your Int. modifier due to your understanding of your body's muscle groups and how to shift them just so.
+5-+6: Can you smell the chemicals?-Up to a number of times/day equal to your Int. Mod, you may instantly identify any potion, poison or other alchemical solution through your superior knowledge of chemical recipes.
+7-+8: Poetry in Motion 2-Your understanding of your body and its relation to space and time grows to an immense level. You gain an additional move action/round/encounter a number of times equal to your Int. modifier.
+9-+10: Blinded Me with Science-Once per encounter, you may harness the electomagnetic radiation of the sun to blind and nauseate all creatures within 30 feet for 5 rounds. Fortitude save negates blindness and reduces nauseate to sickened.(DC: 10+1/2 Character Level+Int. modifier)

If at any point your Int. modifier is reduced below the threshold of an ability, you lose said ability until such time as your Int. modifier is returned to it's original point.(The exception to this is the level +1-+2 ability, which is retained no matter what.)

(So...this came to me after a period of listening to a certain song-A kudo to the first person to figure out which one. :smallbiggrin: Enjoy!)

(Further, if anyone wants to use/playtest this, I'd appreciate the feedback.)

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-22, 11:02 PM
Traditionally, feats that require a minimum ability score require at least a 13 in said ability score (Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Combat Expertise, etc).

The feat itself looks nice, a good way to reward clever rogues, swashbucklers and fighters. More actions is always nice, though I don't know how much use a non-caster will get out of extra swift actions. However, warblades will pile on this feat eagerly, as they should. Crusaders and swordsages less so, but still to a certain degree.

Kane0
2012-02-22, 11:10 PM
What is science? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlNw5ZuDYsk)

But seriously, good feat. Like Seraphi said Warblades will love it but that isnt a bad thing.

I can just imagine a high Int fighter with this feat arguing with a Wizard about how little sense his spells make sometimes and how irresponsibly he warps reality with them.:smallamused:

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-22, 11:14 PM
Traditionally, feats that require a minimum ability score require at least a 13 in said ability score (Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Dodge, Combat Expertise, etc).

The feat itself looks nice, a good way to reward clever rogues, swashbucklers and fighters. More actions is always nice, though I don't know how much use a non-caster will get out of extra swift actions. However, warblades will pile on this feat eagerly, as they should. Crusaders and swordsages less so, but still to a certain degree.

Hmmm, I suppose I can change it.

:smallsmile: Thanks!

What is science? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlNw5ZuDYsk)

But seriously, good feat. Like Seraphi said Warblades will love it but that isnt a bad thing.

I can just imagine a high Int fighter with this feat arguing with a Wizard about how little sense his spells make sometimes and how irresponsibly he warps reality with them.:smallamused:

:smallbiggrin: I want to see that happen now.

PEACH
2012-02-23, 12:06 AM
This feat is way too good.

Extra swifts in a feat is amazing. Two extra swifts per encounter, alone, would be an amazing feat.

Move actions are also really good.

At +10, you get an AoE save or not, you still suck (with no listed duration. you should fix that), that has a save at 10 above the normal for any save.

This is basically a must have feat for absolutely anybody.

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 12:10 AM

Really? I wouldn't want to spend the gold getting my barbarian's Intelligence score up to 30 just for this feat when I could be using it to buff my Strength instead.

And tell me, what would a swashbuckler, a fighter, or a ranger do with extra swift actions, exactly?

And of course, no caster would want to take this feat. (Certainly not a wizard or sorcerer). Spending two feat slots (one of which gives you a -4 penalty to your caster level) to get some extra swifts is not worth it, in my opinion.

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-23, 12:11 AM
This feat is way too good.

Extra swifts in a feat is amazing. Two extra swifts per encounter, alone, would be an amazing feat.

Move actions are also really good.

At +10, you get an AoE save or not, you still suck (with no listed duration. you should fix that), that has a save at 10 above the normal for any save.

I added a duration and altered the save to only have half class level.

The extra moves are good, but that was the point.

Further, the extra swifts are only useful if you have a way to use them, which only some classes have.

And no caster class would ever take this.

PEACH
2012-02-23, 12:19 AM
Really? I wouldn't want to spend the gold getting my barbarian's Intelligence score up to 30 just for this feat when I could be using it to buff my Strength instead.

And tell me, what would a swashbuckler, a fighter, or a ranger do with extra swift actions, exactly?

And of course, no caster would want to take this feat. (Certainly not a wizard or sorcerer). Spending two feat slots (one of which gives you a -4 penalty to your caster level) to get some extra swifts is not worth it, in my opinion.

There are plenty of swift action items that are helpful. Extra swifts are amazing, regardless of whether or not you've optimized for it. And you don't need a 30 for the feat to be good; you only need to have a +3 and it's already an incredibly good feat, though the investment in mage slayer does mean you spend a bit more than most feats. I will admit that if you've only got a +3 or +4 int (granted, the +4 can give you 7 extra move actions with a +6 item), and you're feat dependent, it might not be great... but it's really, really good if you ever have two slots that are even remotely competitive.

Yes, casters wouldn't take this feat... probably. -4 caster level is huge, but being able to fire off 10 quickened spells in the same round is also pretty goddamned huge. If I was firing caster level independent save or sucks, or firing off metamagic'd orbs that would hit their highest level anyway, being able to instantly nova somebody to death would be well worth it. Yes, it does limit your options, but it also gives you a ton more. -4 caster level seems huge... but taking mage slayer, this, and practiced spellcaster for +10 swift actions per encounter is actually still really, really good.

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-23, 12:21 AM
There are plenty of swift action items that are helpful. Extra swifts are amazing, regardless of whether or not you've optimized for it. And you don't need a 30 for the feat to be good; you only need to have a +3 and it's already an incredibly good feat, though the investment in mage slayer does mean you spend a bit more than most feats.

Yes, casters wouldn't take this feat... probably. -4 caster level is huge, but being able to fire off 10 quickened spells in the same round is also pretty goddamned huge. If I was firing caster level independent save or sucks, or firing off metamagic'd orbs that would hit their highest level anyway, being able to instantly nova somebody to death would be well worth it. Yes, it does limit your options, but it also gives you a ton more. -4 caster level seems huge... but taking mage slayer, this, and practiced spellcaster for +10 swift actions per encounter is actually still really, really good.

You raise a good point here. I'll add a clause that says the added swift and move actions can only happen once/round.

PEACH
2012-02-23, 12:24 AM
That makes it much less attractive to a lot of people, and probably makes it fairly reasonable. It's still an excellent feat, especially because of the number of semi-cheap itemization options that let you burn swifts for good effect even if you aren't a martial adept. For martial adepts, it's still incredibly good, though, but that's more of a function of martial adepts actually using swift actions for their base instead of with items or feats.

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-23, 12:27 AM
That makes it much less attractive to a lot of people, and probably makes it fairly reasonable. It's still an excellent feat, especially because of the number of semi-cheap itemization options that let you burn swifts for good effect even if you aren't a martial adept. For martial adepts, it's still incredibly good, though, but that's more of a function of martial adepts actually using swift actions for their base instead of with items or feats.

So, no more issues you can see?

NeoSeraphi
2012-02-23, 12:30 AM
This feat isn't associated with a class, so the DC for its special attack should be 10+1/2 character level. Other than that, looks good.

PEACH
2012-02-23, 12:31 AM
It's above average in terms of power, but since it's no longer "I'd actually burn four caster levels or an additional feat to take this" and does tend to give more power to non caster classes, it's looking pretty solid.

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-23, 12:34 AM
This feat isn't associated with a class, so the DC for its special attack should be 10+1/2 character level. Other than that, looks good.

Fixed. Thanks, oh Homebrew Master. :smallbiggrin:

It's above average in terms of power, but since it's no longer "I'd actually burn four caster levels or an additional feat to take this" and does tend to give more power to non caster classes, it's looking pretty solid.

Kay, thank you for your honest critique. :smallsmile:

Cieyrin
2012-02-24, 09:51 AM
I'd probably tack on the usual Mage Slayer -4 CL on this but, other than that, looks nice. I could see Factotums going for this, even if their spells get nerfed.

ScrambledBrains
2012-02-24, 12:03 PM
I'd probably tack on the usual Mage Slayer -4 CL on this but, other than that, looks nice. I could see Factotums going for this, even if their spells get nerfed.

You mean add an additional -4 CL? Cause I thought that might be overkill.

Thanks though. :smallsmile: