PDA

View Full Version : Hellreaver [3.5]

Mari01
2012-02-22, 11:32 PM
I'm looking for any tricks I can use to give a Hellbred Paladin/Hellreaver that extra ooomph. And yes I wan't to use the actual Paladin class and not just refluff the cleric or crusader. Would it be better to keep pally spells even though Hellreaver doesn't advance casting? Are there any divine/devil touched feats worth grabbing? He's going to be a frontliner first and foremost. I'm just looking to make him a bit more well rounded.

Mystify
2012-02-22, 11:34 PM
Wan't sounds like a word to use when you want to do something but won't.
I'd add something constructive, but I'm not familiar with hellreaver.

Mari01
2012-02-23, 12:17 AM
Wan't sounds like a word to use when you want to do something but won't.
I'd add something constructive, but I'm not familiar with hellreaver.

It's a prestige class from Fiendish Codex II.

Alleine
2012-02-23, 12:55 AM
Domain feats in Complete Champion would be useful for blowing you Turn Undead attempts on. A little extra power or versatility is always nice.

Mari01
2012-02-23, 01:14 AM
Domain feats in Complete Champion would be useful for blowing you Turn Undead attempts on. A little extra power or versatility is always nice.

Any in particular? We're currently seventh level and my non-devil feats are looking like power attack and divine might. I want to wear the best mundane armor (mechanus gear) so I was thinking divine vigor to get some of my mobility back. Travel Devotion would do something similar.

Keld Denar
2012-02-23, 01:20 AM
LionTotemBarb1/PallyofFreedom4 is about the best entry. That gets you Rage (3/day with Extra Rage feat), Pounce, Cha to saves, and most importantly, Turn Undead. Funnel your TU uses into other things than actually turning undead, like the above mentioned Devotion feats OR Divine Might. Hellreaver grants immunity to fear, so you aren't losing anything by going Pally of Freedom, since normally Aura of Courage would overlap with Hellreaver's ability.

Other than that, get a big 2hander (I recommend a glaive), drop a feat on Power Attack, and you are a resilient, robust, and viable threat.

I dunno if Hellbred is the best race for this, but its certainly not bad.

Mari01
2012-02-23, 01:25 AM
LionTotemBarb1/PallyofFreedom4 is about the best entry. That gets you Rage (3/day with Extra Rage feat), Pounce, Cha to saves, and most importantly, Turn Undead. Funnel your TU uses into other things than actually turning undead, like the above mentioned Devotion feats OR Divine Might. Hellreaver grants immunity to fear, so you aren't losing anything by going Pally of Freedom, since normally Aura of Courage would overlap with Hellreaver's ability.

Other than that, get a big 2hander (I recommend a glaive), drop a feat on Power Attack, and you are a resilient, robust, and viable threat.

I dunno if Hellbred is the best race for this, but its certainly not bad.

Yea the Hellbred is mostly for flavor reasons. The wording on the Hellbreaker abilities appear to only apply to one hit. Does that make getting pounce less desirable or would I still be better off getting as many swings as I can?

Keld Denar
2012-02-23, 01:36 AM
Pounce is always preferable to not-Pounce. You don't always have to use it, but its nice to always have it. And just because you only get your freebies on the first hit doesn't make subsequent hits un-useful. Moar damage is generally preferred to less damage, within reason. Optimize to taste.

(obviously, you COULD go the whole Shocktrooper + Leap Attack route, but those feats just leave me with an unclean feeling that a hot shower just won't cleanse)

Alleine
2012-02-23, 01:41 AM
Any in particular? We're currently seventh level and my non-devil feats are looking like power attack and divine might. I want to wear the best mundane armor (mechanus gear) so I was thinking divine vigor to get some of my mobility back. Travel Devotion would do something similar.

I really like Animal Devotion for a sort of Swiss Army Knife feat, but the TU costs are pretty high. Flight, speed boost, +str, or the poison attack? Pretty dang sweet IMO.

I've used healing devotion to great effect at low levels, and it's even better if you lack any real healing because the TU cost is so cheap.

Travel Devotion is of course also very nice. Who needs to charge when you can swift move and full attack?

Aside from those I'm not really experienced with the rest. Just look through the bonuses they provide and go with what is best for your character.

Mystify
2012-02-23, 01:41 AM
Alternatively, you could try a mounted build. If only the first hit gives your goodies, a nice lance attack can give you the most bang for your single hit.

Mari01
2012-02-23, 01:50 AM
Pounce is always preferable to not-Pounce. You don't always have to use it, but its nice to always have it. And just because you only get your freebies on the first hit doesn't make subsequent hits un-useful. Moar damage is generally preferred to less damage, within reason. Optimize to taste.

(obviously, you COULD go the whole Shocktrooper + Leap Attack route, but those feats just leave me with an unclean feeling that a hot shower just won't cleanse)

I thought about it, but that would require not wearing that really heavy armor lol. Still viable, but I'm not sure where the book-throwing damage threshold lies in my game. Does pounce work when mounted or does it require some shenanigans?

Tr011
2012-02-23, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't go Paladin. I once build a Hellreaver that was some sort of Barbarian/Fighter/Crusader/Warlock/Warshaper. You can get so many useful stuff before you go into that PrC...
Maybe you go Paladin 2/Fighter 1/Barbarian 2 or Paladin 2/Fighter 2/Barbarian 1.

/edit: barbarian doesn't have to be for Pounce. It can be for Improved Grab i.e. or IUS or just for rages, you can later improve the rages/day with items.