PDA

View Full Version : Star Gate RPG?

Balain
2012-02-23, 12:14 AM
Is there a Star Gate or Star Gate SG-1 Roleplaying game? Has anyone played it? Is it worth getting or playing? Our group is looking to play some different systems/genres?

Knaight
2012-02-23, 01:39 AM
As far as I know, there isn't a dedicated game. With that said, pretty much anything that covers space opera well can cover this - which means a generic system. The usual line up:

HERO: Do you like mechanics? How about more mechanics? After that, do you like more mechanics? Are you willing to spend 3 hours on a character? If you answered yes to all of these, HERO is for you.

GURPS: Do you like customizing the game as a GM? Do you like mechanics, but without the 3 hour characters and utter lack of fluff that characterizes HERO? Do you like being able to just purchase a source book for most every setting and call it a day*? If you answered yes to all of these, GURPS is for you.

Fudge: Do you like a lightweight, simulationist-narrativist game which is nonetheless crunchy enough to have some interaction? Do you like building a system from near scratch, but from an excellent toolbox? Do you like free games? If so, Fudge is for you.

FATE: Do you like a lightweight, but highly narrative game? Do you like free games? If so, FATE is for you.

Savage Worlds: Do you like pulp? How about space-pulp? What are your thoughts on grid based combat? Are they positive? If all this sounds good, go with Savage Worlds.

Risus/Wushu: Do you like a game so light, it has about 5 mechanics total? Go with Risus or Wushu. Both of them are free and about 20 pages, so look at them both.

*GURPS Ultratech and GURPS Modern should about cover this. You can also get GURPS Vehicles, if you really want to focus on that. I'd bother if it was Stargate Universe, but for Atlantis and the original it probably isn't worth it.

STsinderman
2012-02-23, 01:58 AM
There is a dedicated system that ran for a while (i believe it is out of print now). It was not very well received and seemed to shoot out numerous add books with little added content, on the whole it looks to have been a cash in manoeuvre rather than a real attempt at a game.

Traveller however is a perfect system in which to base the game to the point that the tv show is mentioned along with firefly (int eh core book) as being great ways to play the game. As it stats out all levels of technology it also grants a number of possibilities.

hamlet
2012-02-23, 08:12 AM
For completness's sake, the Alternity game had a sourcebook/campaignbook that was essentially Stargate/Sliders setting before either of them showed up on TV.

Won't vouch for its quality, though.

Binks
2012-02-23, 11:01 AM
There was an official system based off the d20 modern system. I tried running a game in it once, it was probably the most unnecessarily complex system I have ever tried to use. I gave up on it after 1 session. I'm sure a dedicated party could get some use out of it (after the requisite 3 week correspondence course) but I wouldn't touch it if you're not interested in learning and tracking a bunch of minutia.

On the flipside just using d20 modern, or future, or gurps or something should work fine. Stargate as a whole is a pretty close to modern day setting so just using a system for modern should work, you'll just need to add in some of the more fantastic elements (like staff weapons and the like).

DontEatRawHagis
2012-02-23, 08:51 PM
I suggest using Spycraft 2.0's electricity damage for Zats. Works pretty well imo, but don't know how other people will like it.

The game uses stats of a lot of real world weapons, including P90s.

Fouredged Sword
2012-02-23, 09:20 PM
Risus could be really fun. Concepts like sniper, astrophysicist, and pilot. One character needs to be an army chef that got transferred by mistake and sent on an away mission before anyone figured out.

chaotician375
2012-02-29, 11:05 AM
For something like this, I have to plug the Cortex System. It is so versatile, you can basically run whatever kind of game you want. Granted it needs a tad of tweaking for your particular setting (I.E. the mechanics for a Goa'uld posession, and the wrist weapons and such.)

Premier
2012-02-29, 12:41 PM
West End Games was working on a game for the D6 system, but it was shut down before publication. What was completed is easily found with a bit of Googling.

Balain
2012-03-09, 05:19 PM
Thanks all

DrK
2012-03-25, 11:34 AM
Alderac had a Stargate system based in spycraft 1. It was fantastic, unless players went out if the way to break the system. We played that for 3 campaigns up to about level 13.

If not then spycraft 2 is excellent for it. Especially the dramatic conflict and mission by mission based gear system.

manyslayer
2012-04-10, 12:11 PM
Alderac had a Stargate system based in spycraft 1. It was fantastic, unless players went out if the way to break the system. We played that for 3 campaigns up to about level 13.

If not then spycraft 2 is excellent for it. Especially the dramatic conflict and mission by mission based gear system.

As well as the Alderac system (which is great but very crunchy) I've seen a homebrew for Savage Worlds but my home computer is currently dead so not sure where it was listed.

Hopeless
2012-04-24, 06:02 AM
Is there a Star Gate or Star Gate SG-1 Roleplaying game? Has anyone played it? Is it worth getting or playing? Our group is looking to play some different systems/genres?

Yes it was based on the 3.0 dnd system and consisted of a main book and at least a couple of supplements.

Personally I'd agree with the suggestion about using the Traveller system but Cortex should work fine.

Truthfully all you really need is a good understanding of the series much of the rest you can work out whether during the game or just adapt according to your own ideas.

I tried running this online via a yahoo group but it died out after a short while, what systems have you got currently since one of those might serve you better given you have played that and have a better understanding than by going with an entirely new game system?