PDA

View Full Version : Any racing themed RPGs?

Beacon of Chaos
2012-02-23, 07:59 AM
I had this random idea the other day about running a Wacky Races style game for some friends. Cars and combat and traps; you know how it works.

Was partway through trying to write up some simple rules when I realised that there may already be something like it out there. Anyone know of any systems out there that would be usable for this kind of game? My Google-fu has failed me.

Ideally something that is quite quick to learn, not too rules heavy etc.

Raishi Fox
2012-02-23, 08:49 AM
I haven't even had the chance to play it, so I can't say how good it is, how rules heavy, etc, but Steve Jackson games does have Car Wars.

http://www.sjgames.com/carwars/

Caliphbubba
2012-02-23, 09:23 AM
I'm going to 2nd Carwars.

it's a really fun game and fairly easily adaptable to a on going campaign type situation.

my gaming group used to use it as a "filler" game between our more heavy roleplaying orieneted sessions.

LibraryOgre
2012-02-23, 02:23 PM
Car Wars comes to mind, but so does Palladium's old Road Hogs.

Beacon of Chaos
2012-02-23, 05:58 PM
Hmm, while Car Wars sounds good, after reading up a bit on it, I'm not sure it's what I'm looking for. I'm actually looking to do this on a forum, for people who mostly do freeform RP, so I need something that can basically be explained over one or two forum posts and doesn't use maps or minis.

I have an idea for a simple abstract system I think I can cobble together. Perhaps I'll put it in the homebrew section when I'm done.

Thanks for your help!

Diskhotep
2012-02-23, 07:01 PM
My big recommendations would be Savage Worlds (it has excellent rules for running chase scenes, and you could do the whole thing with just the main book), or PDQ.

Of the two I would suggest PDQ. While it is far more rules lite than SW, the rules are available for free, character creation is a breeze, and it is great for freeform games.

Knaight
2012-02-23, 08:08 PM
The closest I can think of is Extreme Street Luge which really wouldn't work well.