PDA

View Full Version : Durkon's city papers

BaronOfHell
2012-02-23, 01:34 PM
I have for a long time wanted to bring this up, but I decided not to do so before Durkon had left the empire of blood. I happened to forget in the mean time, but anyway here goes.

In strip 732, Durkon gets his city papers. In these papers it's stated for how long he expects to stay in the city. I imagine this question is relevant, i.e. he might not be allowed to stay much longer than to that limit.

Durkon says to the end of the current plotline and then it's estimated to be 20-30 strips. Now it may happen that those paper becomes irrelevant from the point Durkon enters the palace and become friends with an important person, such as Malack. Which happened long before the 30 strips had passed.

Though I do wonder, what is meant with "end of the current plotline". Back then, I thought it meant that they'd have ended the Giard's gate plot after this amount of strips. But evidently this isn't the case. Now I'm aware that the Giant may often make rude estimates and that I may very well be reading too much into this detail, so there might be nothing to it at all.

Anyway, I've since then thought that maybe the 20-30 strips could be when they left the palace (or at least got the information they were looking for, from Tarquin), since that seemed to be the comming objective at the time. This happens 86 strips later, in strip 818. However I did try to count the appearances of Durkon between these strips, and for what I could count,he actually is only present in some 20-30 strips. Again, I might be reading too much into this and it may only be a coincidence. If it's not a coincidence, I think it's very very well done if that's how it's intended to be understood.

Maybe the end of the current plotline was something entirely different though? So what's happening in strip 752-762? A lot actually. I'll just name what I personally found relevant and what all could be a plotline as I understand it:
1) Haley's hair returns to its previous distribution.
2) The festival begins.
3) Tarquin's masterplan is revealed (at least to some extend).
4) Elan realise his father is live.

So what are your thoughts to this comment of Durkon? Have I given it too much thought? Something else what meant? Something else..?

Xapi
2012-02-23, 02:23 PM
I have for a long time wanted to bring this up, but I decided not to do so before Durkon had left the empire of blood. I happened to forget in the mean time, but anyway here goes.

In strip 732, Durkon gets his city papers. In these papers it's stated for how long he expects to stay in the city. I imagine this question is relevant, i.e. he might not be allowed to stay much longer than to that limit.

Durkon says to the end of the current plotline and then it's estimated to be 20-30 strips. Now it may happen that those paper becomes irrelevant from the point Durkon enters the palace and become friends with an important person, such as Malack. Which happened long before the 30 strips had passed.

Though I do wonder, what is meant with "end of the current plotline". Back then, I thought it meant that they'd have ended the Giard's gate plot after this amount of strips. But evidently this isn't the case. Now I'm aware that the Giant may often make rude estimates and that I may very well be reading too much into this detail, so there might be nothing to it at all.

Anyway, I've since then thought that maybe the 20-30 strips could be when they left the palace (or at least got the information they were looking for, from Tarquin), since that seemed to be the comming objective at the time. This happens 86 strips later, in strip 818. However I did try to count the appearances of Durkon between these strips, and for what I could count,he actually is only present in some 20-30 strips. Again, I might be reading too much into this and it may only be a coincidence. If it's not a coincidence, I think it's very very well done if that's how it's intended to be understood.

Maybe the end of the current plotline was something entirely different though? So what's happening in strip 752-762? A lot actually. I'll just name what I personally found relevant and what all could be a plotline as I understand it:
1) Haley's hair returns to its previous distribution.
2) The festival begins.
3) Tarquin's masterplan is revealed (at least to some extend).
4) Elan realise his father is live.

So what are your thoughts to this comment of Durkon? Have I given it too much thought? Something else what meant? Something else..?

End of the plotline in that sentence probably means "when we're done with whatever it is we're supposed to do here, according to the plot, and then we'll go somewhere else". Remember that the papers are very explicitly for his stay in the Empire of Blodd, which as you've rightly shown, lasted 86 strips.

The only real conclusion you should get from this is: The Giant never knows in advance how many strips it will take to resolve a plot hook, and when he tries to guess he misses rather badly. I still love him, in a strictly heterosexual buddies kind of way, but he sucks at guessing number of strips and amount of money to be raised.

Petey7
2012-02-23, 02:47 PM
I can't honestly say that I remember everything from those 86 strips, but I do not recall anyone asking to see his papers. I assume (possibly incorrectly, this is just my speculation) that when someones papers expire, they are not hunted down and evicted from the country. Instead you are expected to leave and if you don't in a prompt manner, your treated as anyone else without valid entry papers.

dtilque
2012-02-23, 03:11 PM
1. You're reading too much into it.

2. You're reading too much into it.

3. You're reading too much into it.

It was just a last-panel joke. Don't read too much into it. Next you'll be asking what happened to the treasure chest in 691 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0691.html)

DaveMcW
2012-02-23, 03:26 PM
Durkon only appeared in 19 of those strips.

Spacewolf
2012-02-23, 03:37 PM
i would guess its because many of the strips happened concurrently with each other

fergo
2012-02-23, 03:42 PM
While it's interesting to speculate, my personal opinion is that Durkon's guess at how long he'll be there is the Giant poking fun at himself.

I'm not saying that the Giant knew it would last longer than 30 strips. But he probably had a good idea.

Trying to find specific events in the meantime that would retrospectively vindicate Durkon's guess isn't going to get us very far.

Although I am a lover of baseless speculation so speculate away if you are so inclined :smallbiggrin:. Knowing this forum, you guy'll find something of interest (possibly involving that guy with a halberd :smalltongue:).

link3710
2012-02-23, 03:45 PM
You can't take anything I say in the last panel seriously!

I think this should be the answer to the whole paper problem.

veti
2012-02-23, 03:46 PM
Presumably Rich knew it was going to be a major plotline, but Durkon didn't. There was no reason as far as he knew why it should run any longer than the party's visits to Cliffport or Greysky. From his point of view, 30 strips probably seemed a safe bet.

And as another poster mentioned, Durkon only appeared in less than a quarter of those strips. Maybe he was rationing his appearances because he didn't want to overstay his visa.

BaronOfHell
2012-02-23, 04:28 PM
but he sucks at guessing number of strips and amount of money to be raised.

Thankfully he "sucks" in a way which makes for more quality than less!:smallbiggrin:

Next you'll be asking what happened to the treasure chest in 691 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0691.html)

No way! You don't know me!! Has nothing to do with the thought process here!!!! I'll never ask about it!!!!!

Durkon only appeared in 19 of those strips.

When I wrote I got it to 20-30 strips, I actually only counted 20 to be exact, but it's much more likely to count more than less, so the estimate of 20-30 is very accurate. I personally think it's a coincidence, but if not then well done (also if it's "only" 19).

I think this should be the answer to the whole paper problem.

I think it's an answer to any and every problem.

There was no reason as far as [Durkon] knew why it should run any longer than the party's visits to Cliffport or Greysky. From his point of view, 30 strips probably seemed a safe bet.

Very good point!

Thanks for all the comment each and everyone is appreciated!:smallsmile:
[/quote]
I also remembered this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0691.html), anyone who has any idea what was the deal with the treasure chest in the last panel? Did Elan find something of importance?

fergo
2012-02-23, 04:36 PM
I also remembered this one (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0691.html), anyone who has any idea what was the deal with the treasure chest in the last panel? Did Elan find something of importance?

:smallconfused: Indeed. 'tis a most perplexing mystery.

Methinks it's part of the grand plot that will eventually and unstoppably lead to V. being killed by Belkar who is possessed by the spirit of Redcloak's neice (who herself was killed by Fyron's son, who was mad because he had been retconned out of existence).

Nevereatcars
2012-02-23, 05:20 PM
:smallconfused: Indeed. 'tis a most perplexing mystery.

Methinks it's part of the grand plot that will eventually and unstoppably lead to V. being killed by Belkar who is possessed by the spirit of Redcloak's neice (who herself was killed by Fyron's son, who was mad because he had been retconned out of existence).

Fyron Junior's retcon is hazy at best. As many know, he was first mentioned by Roy when explaining the meaning of his dedicated pursuit to Xykon. IRL time, SoD was released after that, and Junior was suspiciously absent during Xykon's attack on the Pucebuckle's. Later, he was mentioned by Roy, again, to Xykon, again, during the Siege of Azure City. Therefore... hazy retcon :smallfurious:

fergo
2012-02-23, 05:30 PM
Fyron Junior's retcon is hazy at best. As many know, he was first mentioned by Roy when explaining the meaning of his dedicated pursuit to Xykon. IRL time, SoD was released after that, and Junior was suspiciously absent during Xykon's attack on the Pucebuckle's. Later, he was mentioned by Roy, again, to Xykon, again, during the Siege of Azure City. Therefore... hazy retcon :smallfurious:

That explains his anger. He's not sure whether he exists or not, which has an aggravating effect on even the meekest of ghosts.

psijac
2012-02-23, 06:49 PM
Saying, "better make it 86" would have killed any sense of tension the plots had.

Every fight panel til the end you thought there was a chance Thog would kill Roy in the Next strip.This would not have happened if you knew exactly how many strip there was going to be. Knowing the futrue makes the present safe and boring

peshk
2012-02-23, 07:58 PM
I was wondering about the treasure chest myself. And how Durkon got bald with 15. He said he is 55 and later that he is 40 years bald....
But I haven't read the print only yet. Only getting them later this year.

fergo
2012-02-23, 08:03 PM
I was wondering about the treasure chest myself. And how Durkon got bald with 15. He said he is 55 and later that he is 40 years bald....

He was cursed by Fyron's son with a magic wand of baldness Elan found in a chest in the desert (but subsequently lost when he visited the new world inside the rift). Durkon went to the Oracle to see if he would ever be able to regrow it but the Oracle started saying something about how Belkar was going to kill V...

Ok, I'll stop now :smallwink:.

Unisus
2012-02-24, 02:16 PM
He was cursed by Fyron's son with a magic wand of baldness Elan found in a chest in the desert (but subsequently lost when he visited the new world inside the rift). Durkon went to the Oracle to see if he would ever be able to regrow it but the Oracle started saying something about how Belkar was going to kill V...

Ok, I'll stop now :smallwink:.

WAIT - as far as i remember Durkon asked the Oracle, when the humans will be able to produce somthing you can actually call a beer, and lost immediately all his hair when the answer was "NEVER"

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-27, 10:04 AM

I'd guess that we'll see a bonus strip in the printed book about the treasure chest.

fergo
2012-02-27, 12:34 PM
WAIT - as far as i remember Durkon asked the Oracle, when the humans will be able to produce somthing you can actually call a beer, and lost immediately all his hair when the answer was "NEVER"

Or maybe his hairloss was in amazement when the Oracle answered, "They already have--and it's called Brewdog." :smalltongue:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Bit of a real ale nerd :smallwink:).

BaronOfHell
2012-02-27, 12:56 PM
Btw. does anyone know what Durkon's question to the Oracle was during his and Roy's initial visit?