PDA

View Full Version : Legend Kickstarter

Tyndmyr
2012-02-23, 02:16 PM
Now, disclaimer first...I'm not associated with Legend in any way, merely noticed the kickstarter, and wanted to chat about it, and there's no forum on the Legend site yet, so far as I'm aware. Hopefully, with luck, the people involved will notice this tread and join in.

The current kickstarter drive (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dvr/illustrating-legend?ref=activity) appears to be all illustration based,

Unfortunately, the only books are nigh on to $300, and are sold out. The last available one is $2750 or more. Now, I like Legend, but there are limits. I would LOVE for there to be, say, a perfect bound regular book at somewhat reasonable prices. I'd consider $50 for a rulebook reasonable. Anyone have any additional information about this project, and the possibility of this happening?

Thinker
2012-02-23, 02:25 PM
Disclaimer: I don't work for Rule of Cool, nor have I contributed content to Legend (not that I should be confused with those folks to begin with).

As far as I know, Kickstarter is a fundraising website and isn't the same thing as their ordering process. Kickstarter does not replace their process for ordering hard copies of their books (if they even have a process in place yet). Those are just perks for donating a lot of cash. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a limited run of hard copy books if they can have a certain number of people preorder them.

Flickerdart
2012-02-24, 06:28 PM
(The following figures are based on Fedex Office prices. Other prices may and probably do exist, and they are likely better, but I don't know them.)

A colour page is 59 cents. Legend is over 180 such pages (and is going to get bigger, since we plan to slap more illustrations and content into the document), for a total current cost of $106.2 before tax and binding costs. This is over twice your reasonable figure, and most people probably don't think $50 is all that reasonable for 180 pages of book. It is highly unlikely that we could get a 50% discount on printing from bulk.

Thus, to get a reasonable price, we would have to put in huge orders from actual large-scale printers (with resources we don't have, for an audience we can't guarantee). This is somewhat of a problem.

The leather editions aren't meant to be a replacement for normal print runs in any way.

Doc Roc
2012-02-24, 11:38 PM
This isn't perfectly true, actually, but I'd guess that a print run of Legend wouldn't look that different from an OotS book print run, in cost.

Morph Bark
2012-02-26, 08:41 AM
I am a random person and I approve Legend.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-26, 02:08 PM
(The following figures are based on Fedex Office prices. Other prices may and probably do exist, and they are likely better, but I don't know them.)

A colour page is 59 cents. Legend is over 180 such pages (and is going to get bigger, since we plan to slap more illustrations and content into the document), for a total current cost of $106.2 before tax and binding costs. This is over twice your reasonable figure, and most people probably don't think $50 is all that reasonable for 180 pages of book. It is highly unlikely that we could get a 50% discount on printing from bulk.

Thus, to get a reasonable price, we would have to put in huge orders from actual large-scale printers (with resources we don't have, for an audience we can't guarantee). This is somewhat of a problem.

The leather editions aren't meant to be a replacement for normal print runs in any way.

Nah. You could easily punch a perfectbound book with 180 color pages through lulu or another similar POD shop, and still make a bit at $50 a pop.

You'd get much better prices yet with bulk printing, similar to OOTS books, but then you need to deal with inventory, large minimums, etc. Might not be the ideal starting point. Me, I don't care what gets used, I just hope we eventually get Legend books in dead tree format.