PDA

View Full Version : Way too big of weapons [PF.5]

alchemyprime
2012-02-23, 04:35 PM
So one of my players is wondering what it would take to weild a large sized weapon.

Specifically, a Large Goliath Greathammer. She is playing a human. What would it take for her to use the even bigger two handed weapons?

deuxhero
2012-02-23, 04:41 PM
Powerful Build (Half Giant and Goliath) or one of PF's Barbarian archetypes. You ruled out the first, but the second is obvious.

I think Strongarm Bracers (MIC) also work.

CTrees
2012-02-23, 04:41 PM
Because of unfortunate wording... Enlarge Person or similar effects to make her large.

Titan Mauler (Barbarian archetype) SHOULD be able to weild a weapon of the sort she wants, but ultimately can't (It could weild a large longsword or huge shortsword as a greatsword with reduced penalties, or a greatsword in one hand, but not a large greatsword). It's simply impossible, RAW.

Sorry I don't have better news. I believe this to be an unfortunate oversight (Paizo's editing isn't any better than WotC's, basically).

EDIT: Forgot about half giant, from psionics unleashed (third party). also... didn't notice that this included 3.5 material. In pathfinder-only play, it's very, very hard, but 3.5 allowed a lot of ways to weild oversized weaponry. So yeah, ignore me.

jmelesky
2012-02-23, 04:48 PM
What CTrees said. There are two penalties to wielding weapons of the wrong size class:

There's a -2 to hit for each size class difference between you and the weapon
The effective size class of the weapon increases by one step (light -> one-handed -> two-handed) for each size class difference upwards. If it goes out of the progression (e.g. a Large greatsword wielded by a Medium human), then you can't wield it.

The Titan Mauler archetype for Barbarian offsets the first penalty, but doesn't really address the second one at all. Which is, i think, an oversight.

Point the inconsistency out to your GM and ask for a ruling that let's you swing that Gargantuan greathammer. Because, seriously, there's no other reason for that archetype.

GreenSerpent
2012-02-23, 06:41 PM
The feat Monkey Grip. Lets you wield weapons one size larger with a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-23, 06:50 PM
The feat Monkey Grip. Lets you wield weapons one size larger with a -2 penalty on attack rolls.

*opens mouth as if to say something*

...Oh wait, that is what it does, isn't it.

Still sucks though, along with most uses of Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Two feats for +2 to damage and -2 to attack.

alchemyprime
2012-02-23, 08:19 PM
Hm... the Strongarm Bracers may work, and now that she knows her Legacy armor is tied to character level and not fighter level, she's considering a few levels in Barbarian now... Especially for Rage.

herrhauptmann
2012-02-23, 10:33 PM
Caveat:
If the player has a weapon sized for them, and gets an enlarge person, then the weapon is large.
But if you stick a large weapon into the loot, and the player carries it around; then when she gets an enlarge person, she will be larger, but the weapon will still be one size category bigger than she is. (All gear increases in size. She'd have to drop it and pick it back up)

If you're willing to reach back into 3.0 forgotten realms, there are [heavy] weapons in Magic of Faerun.

They use different rules from the pathfinder gold and platinum weapons.
They are exotic (so even a gold longsword is exotic. I don't know about a weapon that's already exotic, becoming doubly exotic or something).
There should be an enchantment called 'lightening' or 'balanced' or something. +2 cost or so, offsets the exotic longsword issue. But I can't remember where to find it.
There is a 'skillful' from Complete Arcane. +2 cost. Grants free proficiency with a given weapon to whoever picks it up. (If you dual wield an exotic, need skillful on both weapons)
The 3.0 rules for weapon size are written badly. Best to just say "Deals damage as if one size larger" and find the appropriate PF/3.5 table for increased weapon size.
Can be combined with strongarm bracers, overchanneled psionic expansion, and templates for something truly disgusting. (Even worse if you like some homebrew fixes for Tome of Battle)
Think Colossal++ weapon damage. By level 15.

Cieyrin
2012-02-24, 11:05 AM
On Heavy Exotic Weapons, you only need one feat to wield it, whether that's Heavy Bastard Sword or Heavy Ramhammer or whatever.

I hadn't thought of using Skillful to sidestep that particular issue, I only think of Skillful for boosting War Hulks and Survivors. Neat.