PDA

View Full Version : Discworld Campaign - What to Expect.

joe
2012-02-23, 05:09 PM
So I'm finding out that tomorrow's game is going to take place in Discworld using Pathfinder rules. I haven't read the books unfortunately and don't really have time to read them before tomorrow evening, so I was hoping that youse could help me know what I should expect.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

joe
2012-02-23, 05:30 PM
sorry double post. please delete.

TheStranger
2012-02-23, 06:21 PM
What you should really expect is that everybody will tell inside jokes that you won't get. I would expect it to be only marginally less chaotic than running a campaign inside a Monty Python sketch. Rather than try to explain everything, I'll just point you at the wiki (http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Main_Page).

Doorhandle
2012-02-27, 01:57 AM
Expect loads of magic, but very few people who are magic users.

A reoccurring theme in the books is that magic has a price, and that it's expensive/dangerous to pay this bill, so mundane solutions are better.

Also it's Meta as hell. Narativtum is a common substance on the disc, and it enforces things like the rule of three, and million-to-one chances being 100% chances. Do know this can be subverted however: carrot's sword, one of the main charters in the books, it the most powerful sword in the book precisely BECAUSE it has no magical enhancements: it's simply more *real* than it's competitors.

bungo_underhill
2012-02-27, 08:03 AM
I think the pathfinder rules (or D&D type games) are a strange choice for discworld, even if he is aiming for a Colour of Magic vintage disc.

If it's accurate(ish) healing magic will be much less common (you'll need a with in the party to do it) and generally won't cure so much as move the pain or transfer the wound (often to the caster).

Combat will be either Brawls or leathal.

Beware the number 7+1