PDA

View Full Version : Polishing up Godboss Archmage Encounter

Angry Bob
2012-02-23, 06:02 PM
A few last questions, don't feel like necroing the old thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233353) Basically the local OP caster PC wants to duel Archmage Cadmin Daelbragh, a nearly godlike arcane caster I've built up as a real asskicker, and I'm indulging him.

The Archmage is a leShay Magister(MoF ) Wizard 30/Archmage 5/Fatespinner 5. That part's pretty much finalized. He's got high enough saves and high enough health that he can basically tank most conventional SoD or damage spells, and will have a ring of universal energy immunity. His Archmage Abilities are Arcane Reach x2, Mastery of Shaping, and Spell Power x2.

The Magister gets immunity to one spell per level 0th-9th. What are generically good choices for these? I'm ruling that because they're specific, he can be immune to spells that ignore SR, if there was any confusion. Remember he'll be immune to elemental damage, mind-affecting, and death effects already.

The Archmage has a customized Runestaff(MIC 176) with six spells, up to 9th level each. What should the six spells be?

What are the best spells to get Spell Stowaway (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellStowaway) for? He already has it for time stop, which I've ruled he can use to "follow" the original caster "into" the time stop with.

legomaster00156
2012-02-23, 08:27 PM
He's a level 40 full-caster. He doesn't even need to lift a finger to win a battle.

Calanon
2012-02-23, 08:38 PM
He's a level 40 full-caster. He doesn't even need to lift a finger to win a battle.

This, Honestly I'm surprised this guy doesn't just appear out of nowhere and curb stomp your friend :smallamused:

Randomguy
2012-02-23, 09:40 PM
Fill the runestaff with all purpose spells and prepare more situational ones. Some good spells to put in the staff:

Force Orb (possibly with metamagic), Ray Deflection, Shapechange, Gate, Vortex of teeth (possibly with metamagic), Greater Dispel Magic, so on.

herrhauptmann
2012-02-23, 10:44 PM
He's a leShay?
You mean the creature from the ELH that is CR28 without any class levels?
You took a leShay, and gave it 40 levels in wizard+prc?

Meanwhile he's also got 10 levels on the PC, and a pretty little template.

Randomguy's list of spells seems as good as any other at this point. Mind you, all of those will pale before any epic spell you or the PC will cast.

Also: You made your thread a few days ago. It's not necroing to add to it unless it's been dead for 2 or 3 months.

Flickerdart
2012-02-23, 11:01 PM
Why would he need a ring for energy immunity? It's not that hard to just Extend Energy Immunity a few times, and then use three 7th level slots a day.

Angry Bob
2012-02-24, 07:55 AM
This, Honestly I'm surprised this guy doesn't just appear out of nowhere and curb stomp your friend :smallamused:

The Archmage is too high-level to get XP from any kind of combat. However, he does take an interest in people that, upon hearing about him, immediately decide to fight him.

Also: You made your thread a few days ago. It's not necroing to add to it unless it's been dead for 2 or 3 months.

True, but in the past I've brought back a several days old thread with a new question and had it ignored.

Autostillx3, Autosilentx3. He does need to lift a finger if he wants to heighten something past level 9.

And are there any recommendations for his ten spell immunities?

Aeryr
2012-02-24, 10:12 AM
If I were to go against that one I would probably use Pronouncement of fate (http://dndtools.eu/spells/heroes-of-horror--70/pronouncement-of-fate--1446/): At least one in four actions crumbled to dust, if not one in two.

Spell Engine (http://dndtools.eu/spells/magic-of-faerun--20/spell-engine--1590/) is also a really nice thing to use intelligently but it is quite hard to come up with. Of course you can make it explode, problem solved.

Nothing else on the top of my mind atm I am at work and don't have my books nearby.

Sudain
2012-02-24, 11:44 AM
Spells I'd be immune to?

1) Ray of Enfeblement?
2)
3)
4) Scrying
5) Nightmare
6) True Seeing(Any illusion he casts now should work wonderfully)
7)
8) Polymorph Any Object
9) Wish/Miracle cast not by self, or Mages Disjunction

Not sure what the others should be. But honestly having the ability to cast a second spell as a quickened action all the time - that'll be much more useful than immunites to things that likely won't get thrown at him. And he's 40th level; he should have ~5-6 epic spells ready to bust out. Only AFTER that should you worry about levels 1-9.

Question - if he's so powerful - why does he want to fight people who hear of him? Is he just bored?

Also - he should look into Maze for his runestaff. :)

Edit: Okay I read the first few of the other thread. Yea 1-2 extra actions per turn would be good. I'd be immune to whatever spells the other guys uses alot. He has access to wish to make that happen, and scrying(via wish if needed) to find out what the other guy uses.

Angry Bob
2012-02-24, 12:45 PM
Is he just bored?

Hit the nail right on the head. He's mostly run out of things to see and do, and losing to someone would by definition involve something he was unprepared for/hadn't encountered before.

Sudain
2012-02-24, 01:17 PM
Hum...

I can't speak to tactics at this level as well... they are epicly above my head.

What about having an Independent effect (the sheer magical forces they are unleashing having unintended results?) plane-shift the encounter to different planes every 1-2 turns?