PDA

View Full Version : Suitable system for Battle Royale?

jaybird
2012-02-23, 06:33 PM
Right now it's just in its earliest planning stages, but I'm starting to put together a RL group for a Battle Royale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale) game. What's a simple and reasonably realistic system that'll represent this? So far I've got FATE and World of Darkness (without supernatural templates) on the short list, any others?

Kaun
2012-02-23, 06:54 PM
Hmm i would stick to rules lite systems for this.

Savage worlds may not be as realistic as you like but it plays fast.

Grinner
2012-02-23, 06:56 PM
Unisystem might fit the bill. WoD and FATE are probably better though.

IdleMuse
2012-02-24, 05:50 PM
Me and a friend have run, over the last couple of years, a couple of very successful games in the Battle Royale universe and style using vanilla new World of Darkness, gradually changing the system to our likings. Our games aren't exactly standard RPGs, since it's entirely PVP with hidden actions and around twenty players, not sat around a table, and a variety of other differences from the standard tabletop paradigm.

But in terms of System, we started off with vanilla nWoD with a couple of changes:

1. Can't buy anything up to 5
2. Can't buy Occult (doesn't exist) or Firearms (overpoweredly godlike)
3. Limited list of merits (essentially we cut out anything relating to the occult side of WoD).

And it worked really well, with some minor niggles, but these would vary between playerbases, I image, so ymmv. I would highyl suggest starting here and working forwards though.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, I have a good couple of years of Battle Royale GMing experience.

GunMage
2012-02-27, 08:05 PM
There's actually a system designed explicitly for this sort of scenario, called Classroom Deathmatch (http://www.indiepressrevolution.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17944&page=1). I haven't played it personally, but I've heard good things about it. On of the big selling points is that it has an entire class already generated up, so there's no need to write up 50+ characters in order to start.

Particle_Man
2012-02-28, 12:27 PM
Right now it's just in its earliest planning stages, but I'm starting to put together a RL group for a Battle Royale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale) game. What's a simple and reasonably realistic system that'll represent this? So far I've got FATE and World of Darkness (without supernatural templates) on the short list, any others?

Which system is best for statting up Mr. Rogers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwBK31tC5QM

Simple and Realistic? Um, GURPS Lite maybe?

UserClone
2012-03-05, 03:06 PM
GunMage beat me to it, but clearly, Classroom Deathmatch is exactly what you're looking for.

LibraryOgre
2012-03-05, 07:04 PM
I know of someone who ran a Hunger Games-based game using Dread... where you achieve things by making pulls from a Jenga tower. The harder the action, the more pulls. Knock the tower over and you die. Knock the tower deliberately and you die, but you succeed at whatever action you were attempting.

Not terribly realistic, but it adds to pressure.

jaybird
2012-03-05, 08:27 PM
What in the crap...someone actually MADE a system for Battle Royale? :smalleek: I'm not sure what creeps me out more, the fact that someone wrote BR, someone thought to make a system to play BR, my players want to play BR...or that I want to run BR.

At any rate, I'm not too keen on paying for what's likely going to be a one-shot game. WH40kRP was also suggested by a player - lethality is certainly one of the things going for the system, I'll give it that, and firearms aren't significantly more powerful then melee weapons, especially as nobody's likely to be proficient even in a basic pistol.

Anyways, I guess the question now is - how would I run such a game?

UserClone
2012-03-05, 09:06 PM
Damn, good call Mark! Dread would be a great fit there!

Also, you can get what amounts to all the rules you need to play in the sample of the book found at The Impossible Dream's website!

Veridis Quo
2012-03-11, 10:28 PM
If your planning on going the realistic route with a Battle Royale game I would recommend GURPS 4e. The basic set gives you everyting you will need for stating out your players and the tools to run a persistant enviroment.

Selrahc
2012-03-12, 04:25 AM
At any rate, I'm not too keen on paying for what's likely going to be a one-shot game. WH40kRP was also suggested by a player - lethality is certainly one of the things going for the system, I'll give it that, and firearms aren't significantly more powerful then melee weapons, especially as nobody's likely to be proficient even in a basic pistol.

Fate points are also a useful game construct. In the movie at least you could see several points where the protagonists and antagonists used or burned fate points.