PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Pokemon Trainer Class

zeboss
2012-02-23, 07:54 PM
Recently I learned the next campaign my group would do was going to be less serious, and i have gotten permission to make a Pokemon Trainer class. I need some help making this class balanced.
My current idea is to make the trainer like a familiar, and have the actual stats in the Pokemon. I'm thinking that the trainer would start with a starter pokemon (charmander, Bulbasuar, Squirtle, etc.) and that would level up by itself. The trainer would get a new pokemon every 3-5 levels and would end with 6. To make this not OP and realistic to pokemon, i would only be able to have one out at a time. Here is my main problem with this, if I need to level up each pokemon individually, they would end up being underpowered. My solution to this would be giving them a shared experience bar, but this brings up a whole new problem in that I would have 6 characters.
If anyone has any ideas for this any advice would be appreciated.

grassy
2012-02-23, 08:11 PM
I'd suggest having the Pokemon like more powerful versions of animal companions since animal companions increase their power as the character gains levels. That way you could have the trainer do things like skill checks as well.

zeboss
2012-02-23, 08:18 PM
Are you saying that they are like weaker characters, and i just give support? So I'm not good alone but I should still be slightly competent?
Also with obtaining pokemon i'm thinking
Starter
First catchables (things like pidgey, wurmple, starly, rattata, basically things you find in the first route)
Any non legendary or non pseudo legendary
Any non legendary or non pseudo legendary
pseudo legendary
legendary

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-23, 08:33 PM
I have a partially created Pokemon Trainer class if your interested in looking at it for idea. One thing I will note is I made it so that your more like a specialized Druid as in you turn into pokemon rather than having pokemon. Though no spells. I was shooting for high tier 3, low tier 2. I also had specialization a la gym leaders. It gave bonuses to using pokemon of your specialty but didn't restrict your choice of pokemon (besides starter). I would give you a link to when I posted it on here a while back but its gone through several major revisisions since then.

I designed it to be the only class possible though. As in an entire pokemon world transposed into a D&D world.

bobthe6th
2012-02-23, 08:41 PM
make him a psion or wilder with astral construct. bam, done.

though I remember seeing a while back YouLostMe Necroed up a thread that had essentially a Pokemon trainer with different fluff. can't find the thing now though...(should have bookmarked it...)

zeboss
2012-02-23, 08:52 PM
being the specialized druid type thing is an interesting concept, but I'm trying to build something that is like the classic trainer. The idea of having a group of weaker characters. However, I would be very interested in seeing the builds for the pokemon you transform into.

bobthe6th
2012-02-23, 09:51 PM
pheew... hour of searching later... The Eidolon Binder (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155181&highlight=pokemon)
as close to a pokemon trainer class as you can get... some flavor edits and perhaps some updating and you should be good to go.

been tempted to do a revamp my self....

Grinner
2012-02-23, 09:55 PM
Different types of trainers should be an option. (e.g. Cool Trainer, Swimmer, Lass, etc.)

Seerow
2012-02-23, 09:56 PM
I seem to remember Frank writing up one of these a while back, I'll see if I can find it.

edit: Found It (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_d20_(3.5e_Sourcebook))

I don't generally like his stuff, but this I actually found pretty interesting.

jaybird
2012-02-23, 10:10 PM
I don't suppose the Pathfinder Summoner is open? Master Summoner lets him have a "main" summon as well as his Summon Monster SLA active, while Broodmaster lets him have two summons out.

drew2u
2012-02-24, 12:18 AM
Why not have a number of HD creatures per level ala a cohort, only summonable. Every 3-5 you gain the ability to summon one extra creature.

If you want to play it straight, you can use them to fight lower-level creatures for advanced XP (say, double XP for your lower-level sumMons until they're equivalent to your highest sumMon). Otherwise I would just assume that your summoned creature is going to always be at the HD cap.

If you want to encounter a creature and 'catch' it, then I would suggest a combo of beating it to a pulp and handle animal / diplomacy / intimidate, etc. to either befriend it or make it obey with binding items (binding gems = pokeballs) that act as a sort of portable plane to bind them to until called or released from service. A forced-catch could make the creature hate the player as an owner or a willingly-joined creature could look fondly on the player.

Drakor
2012-02-24, 03:28 PM
there was a good Pokemon Trainer Class posted on gitp once before it was called (monster trainer). It was not finished at the time, but I added to it for my own campaigns. I have made a four characters with it so far. you make four different kinds capture balls witch allows you to catch creatures. These Creatures after a 1day/ per hit die become animal companions. You can add a sub type to the creature to give it accesses to some spells (TM's).