PDA

View Full Version : Tarquin and Mallack (speculation)

silvadel
2012-02-23, 08:53 PM
I think Tarquin has pushed Mallack too far with the whole "work with your kids killer" thing. Mallack has been planning this revenge for a LONG time and when push comes to shove, I see it falling apart at an opportune time when the linear+ guild encounters the OOTS again...

Nergal will not be denied his meal.

Plus I do not see him killing Durkon...

sr123
2012-02-23, 11:16 PM
Mallack captures both Elan and Nale at -1 HP each and quickened spells at the ready and tells Tarquin to CHOOSE!

Actually, that'd kinda a neat storyline if this comic were to spend far too much time exploring the psychology of wayside characters.

snikrept
2012-02-24, 12:56 AM
I still think IT'S BUSINESS was a code word for "shut up Malack, I'm trying to set up a doublecross here, play along" like Tarquin was kicking him under the table or something.

Because what is their usual business, the two of them? Deceiving huge numbers of people in order to control everything.

ti'esar
2012-02-24, 01:24 AM
I still think IT'S BUSINESS was a code word for "shut up Malack, I'm trying to set up a doublecross here, play along" like Tarquin was kicking him under the table or something.

Because what is their usual business, the two of them? Deceiving huge numbers of people in order to control everything.

I tend to think this way too. Son or not, Tarquin doesn't have a lot of respect for Nale, and he does seem to genuinely friends with Malack. I think that when it comes down to the wire, he's pragmatic enough to side with the high-level cleric rather then the known incompetent. I think it's possible he might try and come up with some kind of way to get Nale out of there alive while still leaving Malack satisfied, but I certainly think there was more to the scene in question then what it looked like on the surface.

I'm also pretty sure that Malack has no intention of killing Durkon. It's why he requested to "deal" with him personally.

Goosefarble
2012-02-24, 10:03 AM
Then again, Durkon is fated to die, so maybe it will be Malack who does it.

I find it unlikely, personally, since he gets to return to his home postumously and the dwarven lands are closest to Seniri's gate, so.

Emulgator
2012-02-24, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but I doubt that the rest of their party would take the betrayal lightly. Especially when Tarquin, their Grand Planner is betrayed. And there is four of them. They'd eat Malack for lunch if he betrays Tarquin.

psijac
2012-02-24, 01:53 PM

I never thought of that. It make perfect sense though

silvadel
2012-02-24, 03:21 PM
I never thought of that. It make perfect sense though

I hadnt thought of that either -- makes me glad I posted the topic.

Binks
2012-02-24, 03:52 PM

Just wanted to say I love this idea.

Then again, Durkon is fated to die, so maybe it will be Malack who does it.
Everyone's fated to die at some point, no reason to assume Durkon's will be anytime soon. All we know is he won't be returning home before he dies, but he could keep wandering for years after X's defeat before dying and it would still fit the evidence perfectly.

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-24, 04:05 PM
I don't buy the "business" idea. At least, not completely. I think Tarquin wants what he thinks is best for both of his sons. I do think he plans on betraying Nale (and vice versa), but not to get rid of him, just to whip him into shape and make him a more efficient villain.
Everyone's fated to die at some point, no reason to assume Durkon's will be anytime soon. All we know is he won't be returning home before he dies, but he could keep wandering for years after X's defeat before dying and it would still fit the evidence perfectly.Durkon has a separate prophecy in Origins, and I doubt the comic won't address it.He's fated to bring "death and destruction" next time he returns home. My favorite "tweest" theory so far is that it's talking about Malack or the book he have Durkon.

sr123
2012-02-24, 09:52 PM
Re: code word,

It certainly explains how quickly and quietly Malack acquiesced to joining the new LG. I mean, put yourself in his shoes: letting Nale go would be hard enough, doing a mission with him would be ridiculous, but being part of a team that Nale will lead? Without another word of protest? In such a horrible morally-antagonistic situation, I could only wait for the moment his back his turned to not only kill him, but torture him to death.

But if it's Business we're dealing with....

And keep in mind, re: Tarquin loves Nale, that Tarquin himself is the one who put out the "Dead or Alive" bounty on Nale, and Nale likely killed his 9th and possibly most-loving (she gave him the ridiculously-expensive and ridiculously-thoughtful gift) wife.

So for me, the only question is how Malack will kill Nale. If Nergal indeed will eat souls, and since Malack was very much willing to do the quick-and-painless moderate-wounds kill, then it seems like the afterlife promises more punishment than Malack can ever induce on the earthly plane.

silvadel
2012-02-26, 10:45 AM
The other thing is Malack (assuming Durkon actually ever checks his macebook page) has an easy non-descript method of tipping off the OOTS.

Narren
2012-02-26, 11:31 AM
Keep in mind that Tarquin LOVES drama, and he probably wouldn't mind terribly if Malack picked in an inopportune time to enact his vengeance. As long as it's dramatically appropriate.

Morty
2012-02-26, 11:56 AM
Keep in mind that Tarquin LOVES drama, and he probably wouldn't mind terribly if Malack picked in an inopportune time to enact his vengeance. As long as it's dramatically appropriate.

Tarquin loves drama as long as it serves his purposes one way or another. Malack betraying him... could be a part of some long-term plan, but I find it unlikely.

Subbo
2012-02-26, 03:38 PM
The new Linear Guild is going to fall apart one way or another. Tarquin and Nale ultimately are out for their own interests, once they've fulfilled their usefulness to one another it'll be right back to feuding. I think Mallack understands that he'll get a shot at Nale eventually

Smolder
2012-02-26, 04:04 PM
The new Linear Guild is going to fall apart one way or another. Tarquin and Nale ultimately are out for their own interests, once they've fulfilled their usefulness to one another it'll be right back to feuding. I think Mallack understands that he'll get a shot at Nale eventually

There's no need for Tarquin to betray Nale... He knows Nale well enough to know that Nale will turn on him soon enough. Tarquin just wants to have some backup (Malack and Kilkil) when that happens.

And yes, I read the 'man up' line as being a close to a *wink,wink* that Tarquin could get away with in front of observant and genre-savvy Nale.

Swordlol
2012-02-26, 09:21 PM
The other thing is Malack (assuming Durkon actually ever checks his macebook page) has an easy non-descript method of tipping off the OOTS.

Mmm... It's not unlike Rich to take a random-joke-intended-reference and make it in to a more pivotal role. Still I don't think this one happening.

Particle_Man
2012-02-26, 10:31 PM
Yeah, but I doubt that the rest of their party would take the betrayal lightly. Especially when Tarquin, their Grand Planner is betrayed. And there is four of them. They'd eat Malack for lunch if he betrays Tarquin.

I see it at three on three. The flying kobold is Tarquin's man. Malack and Tarquin and the flying kobold will at some point turn on Nale and Sabine and Z (assuming that Z is still Nale's drow and not Tarquin's). I don't see Malack betraying Tarquin openly.

On the other hand, maybe Malack will "accidentally" hurt Nale with "friendly fire", as another theory.

Krim
2012-02-28, 04:53 AM
Re: code word,

It certainly explains how quickly and quietly Malack acquiesced to joining the new LG. I mean, put yourself in his shoes: letting Nale go would be hard enough, doing a mission with him would be ridiculous, but being part of a team that Nale will lead? Without another word of protest? In such a horrible morally-antagonistic situation, I could only wait for the moment his back his turned to not only kill him, but torture him to death.

But if it's Business we're dealing with....

And keep in mind, re: Tarquin loves Nale, that Tarquin himself is the one who put out the "Dead or Alive" bounty on Nale, and Nale likely killed his 9th and possibly most-loving (she gave him the ridiculously-expensive and ridiculously-thoughtful gift) wife.

I think it seems more likely that, in fact, V killed her. In any case, I do wonder how this is going to result. Offending you cleric is generally a terrible idea, almost as bad as trying to use a world-destryoing "creature" to rule the world. Tarquin seems waaaaaaaaaaay too genre-savvy to do either, so he may very well be pulling a one-up.

Nilan8888
2012-02-28, 09:23 AM
I think it comes down to who Tarquin and Malack really are.

Being who Malack is, I think he WOULD kill Durkon. But he wouldn't LIKE doing it, just as he said. And he might try to possibly avoid doing it. Malack has loyalties to look to, but that doesn't mean he's going to relish the task.

Tarquin is more than likely not particularly looking for ANYONE to die. Which is not to say he's looking for anyone to live, either. Tarquin is interested in his story more than the actual people involved -- with the possible exception of Elan. Tarquin's looking forward to best Roy in single combat, and if Roy dies or not in the fight is not really on his mind. Likewise he's not really looking for Elan, Haley, V, Durkon or even Belkar to die. He won't fret about it if they DO, but they haven't slighted him all that much, so he wouldn't seek it out.

On the other hand, I think Malack is seriously looking to backstab Nale both figuratively and literally. The moment he has a chance to get rid of Nale without Tarquin objecting, he's going to take it.

As for Tarquin and Nale, it does seem that Tarquin feels something for him, but that Nale's been SUCH a disappointment in his eyes. So much so that it's blinded him to Elan's clear shortcomings. I think Tarquin would rather see Nale live than die, but it's to the point he's really resigned himself to seeing Nale get killed someday. Worse, to being killed in an offhand and unglamorous fashion: after all Tarquin is probably all for ELAN dying, if it was done in a suitably dramatic fashion trying to obtain his goals.

Think about it like this: If Nale were backstabbed and killed in a blind alley by some two-bit hood, Tarquin would probably sigh and shake his head, but do very little. He'd be depressed maybe, but not a lot would come of it.

If the same thing were to happen to Elan, he'd fly into some sort of fatherly rage and burn half his kingdom down.

Now on the other hand, Elan were to die sacrificing himself for Haley or the OOTS from the clutches of an evil overload (himself, for instance), it would bring a tear to Tarquin's eye and he'd applaud the entire scenario.

If Nale were to do the same think for Sabine, he'd roll his eyes and shrug his shoulders: too little, too late, Nale.