PDA

View Full Version : Unintended use, abuse, and misuse.

kulosle
2012-02-23, 09:55 PM
Inspired by this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233620) I was just wondering if any one has ever come up with equally interesting ideas for other spells, items, or what have you. I do no the glory that is the immovable rod. Every character I make has at least two of these, more if no one else gets them. Has anyone ever tried using the portable hole and bag of holding offensively. My friend told me of a time that he went against some goblins and the whole party fell down the very first pit trap and then the goblins just threw tangle foot bags and rocks until the party was dead. The DM didn't hold back because he thought it was to funny. A group member I have always buys a bottle of air and then hides out in water or other such nonsense. Any fun stories of your adventures?

Hirax
2012-02-23, 09:58 PM
I too love immoveable rods, they make great airship anchors.

Vendle
2012-02-23, 10:27 PM
I've become somewhat (in)famous in my gaming group for having more useful/obscure items than the rest of the PCs.

In one encounter I can recall, my halfling rogue needed a quick getaway down a steep slope of loose stones. Reaching into his Robe of Useful Items, he pulled out, yes, the rowboat. A rough Ride check barely kept him upright. (The rowboat is also nice if you need a brief obstacle to block a hallway.)

Unfortunately, the other PCs did not have a quick escape. Out comes the tan Bag of Tricks, and a bear to carry him back up the slope.

kulosle
2012-02-24, 02:08 AM
Currently my favorite use of immovable rods was our DM had come up with a great obstical. In a dungeon there was a long narrow walk way covered and ice and a strong wind was blowing us back. My character simply took two of his rods and went across using them as monkey bars. It was great. I tied them to a rope and then threw them back for the rest of the party to do the same. We were suppose to go have a mini boss encounter to find the switch that turned off the wind. Ah what fun.

Dr_S
2012-02-24, 02:16 AM
1 invisibility potion and a bag of holding got one of my parties through something that I thought I'd made impenetrable. (at a pretty low level too)

The exact hows aren't really important but they followed all breathing in bag rules and such.

Acanous
2012-02-24, 02:33 AM
Wall of Stone+Lyre of Building=win an encounter 1/day.

Zaq
2012-02-24, 02:59 AM
I've become somewhat (in)famous in my gaming group for having more useful/obscure items than the rest of the PCs.

In one encounter I can recall, my halfling rogue needed a quick getaway down a steep slope of loose stones. Reaching into his Robe of Useful Items, he pulled out, yes, the rowboat. A rough Ride check barely kept him upright. (The rowboat is also nice if you need a brief obstacle to block a hallway.)

Unfortunately, the other PCs did not have a quick escape. Out comes the tan Bag of Tricks, and a bear to carry him back up the slope.

I've had a fun experience with the Robe of Useful Items. I just got one as random loot. Soon thereafter, the party was put in a classic deathtrap with the ceiling descending to crush us all. I pull out the iron door (which we rolled randomly when I found the robe) and set it up to block the descending ceiling. I don't remember the aftermath, but the GM was amusingly flummoxed.

On another note, not long ago, the party needed to get a group of 50 or so dwarves across a desert. We had enough water to get the party to the dwarves, but not quite enough to get all the dwarves across the desert without something to mitigate the heat. Since my character could fly, we took a Bottle of Smoke, had him hold on to it, tied him to a rope, and had him fly above the group, creating their own personal shade cloud.

Igneel
2012-02-24, 03:37 AM
In Evil taking over world game:
The Curse ability from the Fiend of Possession has given me many chuckles after the Dm allowed some of the variant curses from BoVD. One of my favorites automatically advanced a victim that failed their Will Save one age category that I placed on the multiple wells and water sources of the kingdom through out the night. By Lunch time more then half the kingdom was turned into old men and women which made it somewhat easier to take over.

Another Curse is the ability to make victims not able to see a certain type of creature (Black Dragons, skeletons, what have you) and we had a small army of Wights. You can guess what happened from there.

====

Rod of Immovability on one side of the doorway/gate/entrance/etc + Rod of Ropes [Complete Scoundrel] + Enemy running towards entrance = Clothes Line Hilarity. Alternately add Grease spell under just beyond the door with Alchemist Fire perched ontop of door like a bucket of water.

Has anyone ever combined something like the Dart Thruster [Underdark] or the Grappling Crossbow [Song and Silence] with a Desmudo cable/cable spool [Savage Species] and a Grasping Grappling Hook [Dungeonscape] for basically a Batman-esque Grapple Gun? Didn't help that I played a very Batman-like character during a city campaign, complete with a Utility belt, sidekick, and theme song!

Silent Portal [Magic of Faerun] put on a door or 'portal' treats it like its under the effects of a Silence spell. Unhinge it, and have the Barbarian/Beatstick carry it around to knock people over the head with it without making noise.

Portable Hole slipped under the door while the Rogue is inside it made many door easier to bypass.

Marbles concealed under a rug/mat that has a illusion spell cast on it to make it look like the floor has given me many Home Alone-styled laughs assuming the enemy isn't big enough to just crush the marbles.

As a 'self-destruct' button, whenever I play a Wizard, Sorcerer, or anything else that gets Explosive Runes I always take some time off just to fill at least a Wizards book's every page with as many Runes as I can. Considering that a Book saves me 5 gp vs 100 pieces of parchment it only makes sense as its also a nice way to store the pages. Then you have to store it for later use, but when that time comes...

I probably could think of a few more, but there ya go on some antics my friends have grown to expect from me.

Aeryr
2012-02-24, 08:08 AM
Has anyone ever combined something like the Dart Thruster [Underdark] or the Grappling Crossbow [Song and Silence] with a Desmudo cable/cable spool [Savage Species] and a Grasping Grappling Hook [Dungeonscape] for basically a Batman-esque Grapple Gun?

This one has done that for maximun enjoyment and profit. Once in a pvp sort of sesion it was a crusader, a cleric and an artificer and I (a swift hunter) were against a dread necro (who had murdered some dude, and we were to take him back alive for questioning). Me myself went ahead ditching the party and being a nice guy telling the dread necro to come over, he told me to wait for a couple of days (no problem with that) and then the rest of the party arrived after disguising themselves and attacked the dread necro, I remained neutral for most of the encounter but when they had almost beaten to a pulp the poor dread necro I shoot at him with my grappling gun of awesomeness and made the day. He also used use rope shenanigans for moving around batman like while shooting arrows.

There was also my horse, I do love that horse... It was a valenar riding horse with the war trained template (I did actually expend down time training it) and it proved right once when we were almost wiped by a white dragon. Well the party was wiped. But while they heroically sacrificed themselves (read: they were butchered) I was able to make it to fight another day.

Or my corollax with a ring of comunication serving as a scouting radio.

panaikhan
2012-02-24, 08:31 AM
I had an (evil) sorcerer that used to like Fire Trapping potion stoppers.

In a similar vein, glass 'arrowheads' full of a range of substances (alchemist's fire acid, poison etc etc, using the arrow shaft as the stopper, with Fire Trap on them.

Aeryr
2012-02-24, 08:43 AM
Pimping my armor with Sepia Snake Sigil.