PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2 (A bajillion more guns & a bajillion more reasons to use them)

Anderlith
2012-02-24, 02:04 AM
So I've seen the new trailer & thought to create a discussion about the game.

Personally I like the new Siren (though I was hoping we wouldn't get another one)
I like the new soldier Axton & the assassin Zero
The gunzerker looks like a great class (dual wielding a Jakobs Revolver & a Rocket Launcher anyone?)
The environments will change so that we won't be walking the same looking desert for the entire game.
Guns will be customizable with decals
& Claptrap is back YAY!

Velaryon
2012-02-24, 02:44 AM
As long as the new Siren plays differently enough from Lilith that she doesn't feel like a copy, then I'm okay with it. My understanding is that each Siren is supposed to be unique, so they each have their own powers and stuff.

Gunzerker is still a dumb name, but I do have to admit dual-wielding sounds awesome. The other characters look cool too.

I know the original characters are supposed to be in the game as NPC's, but I'm still hoping they will either be unlockable or available as DLC.

The only thing I'm disappointed in is the release date; there aren't any games coming out between now and then that I'm particularly excited for so this wait is going to seem like forever to me.

polity4life
2012-02-24, 08:27 AM
Will they finally keep their promise about guns with crazy bizarre ammunition? I remember prior to Borderlands 1 the developers talked about introducing guns that shoot razor blades; where were they?

I'll likely get it anyway since it was a fun game to play but it did become very dull, very fast.

Sean Mirrsen
2012-02-24, 09:06 AM
I'll be happy if I can get a belt-fed sniper pistol. I wanted a belt-fed scoped pistol for the entirety of the first Borderlands, and was disappointed that there was no such weapon variant in the game.

Belt-fed rocket launcher would be neat too. :smallamused:

BRC
2012-02-24, 09:13 PM
It looks cool, but I thought the first Borderlands looked cool before I played it. It felt like I was playing a single-player FPS version of WoW, the "A billion different Guns" turned out to be the standard FPS assortment with slightly shifted stats, resulting in that always fun RPG pastime of checking eight pieces of nearly identical equipment, trying to figure out which one gives me a .4% boost to my DPS if I've crit an enemy in the last four minutes.

Anteros
2012-02-24, 10:04 PM
It looks cool, but I thought the first Borderlands looked cool before I played it. It felt like I was playing a single-player FPS version of WoW, the "A billion different Guns" turned out to be the standard FPS assortment with slightly shifted stats, resulting in that always fun RPG pastime of checking eight pieces of nearly identical equipment, trying to figure out which one gives me a .4% boost to my DPS if I've crit an enemy in the last four minutes.

It's not a game meant to be played or enjoyed in single player.

Anderlith
2012-02-24, 10:15 PM

It was Diablo with guns not an FPS with quests. If you come expecting the crap they do with CoD "games" (and I use that term lightly) you will be very disappointed

Tiki Snakes
2012-02-24, 10:30 PM
I find the fact that it uses pre-designed, non customizable characters kind of disapointing, and the fact that the sequel has gone the same way is a shame in my opinion.

But it didn't stop me playing ludicrous amounts of local-co-op in the first one, to be fair.

Some actual varied enviroments would be a nice change.

BRC
2012-02-25, 01:43 AM
It was Diablo with guns not an FPS with quests. If you come expecting the crap they do with CoD "games" (and I use that term lightly) you will be very disappointed

I wasn't expecting CoD, but I was expecting a little more variety then there was.

Mind you, I played the game from beginning to end and enjoyed it immensely, so yeah.

factotum
2012-02-25, 02:35 AM
It's not a game meant to be played or enjoyed in single player.

Really? I must have imagined the many, many hours I spent playing and enjoying Borderlands solo, then...

Socratov
2012-02-25, 03:06 AM
me too, i somehow massively enjoyed playing borderlands in singleplayer...

Anyway, about the trailer: that was just a gungasm. 1 thing disappoints me though, i hate dubstep... but i'll make an exception here... Now I;m hoping my craptop can run it...

Tiki Snakes
2012-02-25, 09:04 AM
Really? I must have imagined the many, many hours I spent playing and enjoying Borderlands solo, then...

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from playing and enjoying Borderlands solo. But it really does come alive when you're playing it with a good mate. But then, most action games are impoved by a decent co-op mode, so that really shouldn't be suprising.

DiscipleofBob
2012-02-25, 10:34 AM
Part of me wishes the original classes were playable or at least DLC or something, even if they weren't part of the main story.

Roland and Lilith were always my favorites, and hopefully Axton and Zero will live up to them gameplay wise. Maya looks like she could be interesting too.

Damnit, now I want to go back, max out my characters, finish the DLC and play on the higher difficulty levels. :smallfrown:

factotum
2012-02-25, 02:22 PM
But it really does come alive when you're playing it with a good mate. But then, most action games are impoved by a decent co-op mode, so that really shouldn't be suprising.

Have to disagree on both counts--I've never enjoyed myself playing co-op as much as I do single player, in *any* game. I find that when I'm playing co-op my playing partner invariably wants to play the game at a faster pace than I do...

Tiki Snakes
2012-02-25, 02:27 PM
Have to disagree on both counts--I've never enjoyed myself playing co-op as much as I do single player, in *any* game. I find that when I'm playing co-op my playing partner invariably wants to play the game at a faster pace than I do...

Well, everyone is different I guess, but this does mostly seem to be an issue with the whole Cooperation side of things more than anything.
Certainly this is an issue online with strangers, as in general you're lucky if a single cutscene avoids getting skipped as people charge blindly through the game as if speed-running. I've never had an issue like that in Local co-op with people I know, though.

Anderlith
2012-02-25, 03:09 PM
me too, i somehow massively enjoyed playing borderlands in singleplayer...

Anyway, about the trailer: that was just a gungasm. 1 thing disappoints me though, i hate dubstep... but i'll make an exception here... Now I;m hoping my craptop can run it...

Ah yes, I too am hating the dubstep, someone needs to tell society that dubstep is not "music"

Socratov
2012-02-25, 03:16 PM
Ah yes, I too am hating the dubstep, someone needs to tell society that dubstep is not "music"

agreed... though I'm still hoping it will go away in a year or so...

Sith_Happens
2012-02-26, 11:58 PM

It makes for a good Borderlands 2 trailer though.:smalltongue: Especially when the trailer itself pokes fun at its precense at the end.

96.5% MORE WUB WUB!

Oh Claptrap, how I've missed you. Pre-ordering first thing tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, I figure it would be fun to mention that my Sith Sorcerer in SW:TOR is named Maliwan. Because he shoots more lightning than the next leading competitor!:smallbiggrin:

Erloas
2012-02-27, 10:05 AM
I loved the first one, but I haven't checked out the trailer for 2 yet.

As for pre-defined characters, I like them a lot more in cases like this. If anything I wish they gave the characters more personal story and background.

As for not having the original characters, I assume their just avoiding the whole "how do we create a reason for these super powerful characters to loose all of their abilities and start over and still make sense in a continuing story sort of way" problem.

I played almost all of the time with my brothers. Solo was not bad, but the game got more interested when things scaled up a lot in difficulty and you had to work together to keep everyone alive.
I do hope the game is a bit more difficult too. The fights get so much more epic when its a real challenge. I had the most fun when going into an area a couple levels before they planned because you have to work that much harder for everything but it doesn't get frustrating as long as you have people to work with to not have to restart a lot.

I still need to get my brothers together so we can finish Caltrops Robot Revolution, we picked it up but it was right after we got out of the habit of playing and never got back into it.
I'll wait until the 4-pack is released on Steam before I pick it up.

BizzaroStormy
2012-02-27, 12:11 PM
I just hope that there's actually some characterization in BL2. IIRC each character in BL1 had a different reason for coming to pandora...none of which were ever addressed.

factotum
2012-02-27, 01:53 PM
As for not having the original characters, I assume their just avoiding the whole "how do we create a reason for these super powerful characters to loose all of their abilities and start over and still make sense in a continuing story sort of way" problem.

Given the trailer is talking about Vault Hunters, I wonder if they've cleverely avoided the whole "where are the original characters?" thing by setting it 200 years later, at the next time the Vault opens...would also explain where they managed to find all the additional guns!

Dhavaer
2012-02-27, 02:36 PM
Given the trailer is talking about Vault Hunters, I wonder if they've cleverely avoided the whole "where are the original characters?" thing by setting it 200 years later, at the next time the Vault opens...would also explain where they managed to find all the additional guns!

They haven't, the Vault Hunters are NPCs is this one.

Anderlith
2012-02-27, 09:19 PM

The Vault has just been opened & the Vault Hunters are still running about Pandora. No one said anything about it being 200 yrs in the future.

The opening of the Vault did activate Eriduim deposits across Pandora. & Hansome Jack is the main antagonist- No more loosely defined Crimson Lance woman or mysterious Vault monster this time

Sith_Happens
2012-02-28, 01:38 AM

The game is set five years after the first one. During that time, Handsome Jack has become CEO of Hyperion by taking credit for finding the Vault and killing the Destroyer, and begun to consolidate the company's control over Pandora. This involved (somehow) capturing the characters from the first game, who are now NPCs that the new characters must rescue.

I just hope that there's actually some characterization in BL2. IIRC each character in BL1 had a different reason for coming to pandora...none of which were ever addressed.

Gearbox has stated that BL2 will have a much more robust story and will more address the characters themselves.

I loved the first one, but I haven't checked out the trailer for 2 yet.

Behold the awesome. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW7qO_wpfvk&ob=av3n)