PDA

View Full Version : Constituion-Based Character

Menteith
2012-02-24, 09:36 AM
Hello GITP!

I was tinkering around with paladin optimization yesterday, and noticed the Warforged Paladin substitution levels give immunity to stunning, and Con Mod to Will saves. I began looking around a bit, the Diamond Mind maneuver Action Before Thought allows a Concentration check in place of Reflex Saves, (Greater) Insightful Strike allows me to make a Concentration check to deal damage, and the Mineral Warrior template lets me add my Con Mod to hit 1/day. I usually am a little bit higher optimization than my group, and I don't think this build is going to over the top, so I was wondering if you could help me find more ways to make this guy SAD or boost his power.

Mineral Warrior Warforged (LA +1, buyoff is allowed)
Str (Base 16 + 2) = 18
Dex = 8
Con = (18 + 2 + 4) = 24
Int = (8 -2) = 6
Wis = (14 -2 -2) = 10
Cha = (8 -2 -2) = 4
32 pt buy

Paladin of Freedom, Warforged Rac Sub Levels 3, Crusader 1, Ruby Knight Vindicator 10, Paladin 2, Crusader 4

Paladin of Freedom taking Warforged Substitution levels 1-3 gives immunity to Compulsions, Poisons, Sleep effects, Disease, Nausea, Fatigue, Exhaustion, effects that cause Sickened, Energy Drain, and Stunning and uses Fortitude instead of Wisdom on Will saves by level 3, and once I get 2nd level maneuvers my horrid Reflex save becomes my Concentration check. Here are a few things that I'm still having trouble with;

How can I boost my Concentration check higher?

Is there anyway, aside from Mineral Warrior, to use my Constitution Mod on To Hit rolls?

It's fine for me to take Martial Study: Diamond Mind, Action Before Thought with this build right? Should I look at trying to hit Warblade/Swordsage 2 for normal access to it?

I'm planning on using a Nightstick (only allowed one) and a Holy Symbol for additional turn attempts with my awful charisma, but are there any other problems that having this stat so low will cause that I haven't considered?

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Mystify
2012-02-24, 09:41 AM
Fist of the forest can give con to AC. Hammer of earth is 3.0 content, but will add con to damage.

This thread is very helpful for builds like these:
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

candycorn
2012-02-24, 09:57 AM
I prefer Dragonborn Mineral Warrior Mongrelfolk, with Steadfast determination (don't fail fort saves on a 1, and use con for will saves). From there, Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden for Con to AC twice (you'll need to take a few levels of stoneblessed, but that gives another +2 to con.

So an 18 base +4 Mongrelfolk, +2 Mineral Warrior, +2 Dragonborn, +2 Stoneblessed, + 5 Levels, +5 inherent, +6 enhancement = 44 Con (+17) by level 20. Even at low levels, you'll be looking at 32 (about level 8, with a +2 stat item), which is crazy, as you'll be getting +88 HP from Con alone. By level 10, you'll have Con to AC, and by 12, you'll have Con to AC twice (and likely a 35 Con). If you take a few (3) incarnate levels, and get a vitality belt, with 3-4 essentia, you can add essentia to HP a few times, making it even worse. All in all, you'll likely have about 500 HP by level 20, a touch AC in the mid 50's, solid fort and will saves, and with a little work, you could likely find some other ways to cheese it out.

Concentration checks will likely, at this point, be +40, with just Constitution and skill ranks.

Menteith
2012-02-24, 10:02 AM
Fist of the forest can give con to AC. Hammer of earth is 3.0 content, but will add con to damage.

This thread is very helpful for builds like these:
X stat to Y bonus (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Thank you! I knew that thread existed, but couldn't find it for the life of me. Shame about the significant feat tax on FotF - and it only applies when unarmored, which is a problem on a Warforged. I might be able to get into Deepwarden, although it's rather skill intensive for a guy getting 1 skill point/level up (2 with Nymph's Kiss, which I think I'll have to take just for RKV). It's a shame that Hammer of the Earth doesn't work with the Insightful Strike chain, too.

- EDIT -

Candy, that is wonderful :). Alright, statting up that build now.

Morph Bark
2012-02-24, 10:12 AM
I prefer Dragonborn Mineral Warrior Mongrelfolk, with Steadfast determination (don't fail fort saves on a 1, and use con for will saves). From there, Fist of the Forest and Deepwarden for Con to AC twice (you'll need to take a few levels of stoneblessed, but that gives another +2 to con.

One think I've oft wondered: does Mongrelfolk qualify for racial PrCs of its ancestral races? :smallconfused:

In that build, Ranger is incredibly helpful for getting Endurance for free and plenty of skill points for skill requirements for PrCs.

Mystify
2012-02-24, 10:21 AM
Thank you! I knew that thread existed, but couldn't find it for the life of me.
I find it valuable enough to bookmark.