PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A spell of every level

Ryulin18
2012-02-24, 10:47 AM
Having a discussion amongst my gaming group when we were asked, "what spell would you choose if you only had 1 spell for each level of the sorcerer/wizard list? Not the most broken, or the easiest to exploit. You're personal choice by experience with them."

This got me for a while. There are so many to choose from. But heres mine from 2 years of experience.

1st - True Casting - +10 to SR breaker checks is nice.
2nd - Slapping Hand - DC 20 concentration or AoO? Awesome for party play
3rd - Mage Armour, greater - I like the idea of burning arcane armour
4th - Celerity - Time thief...Need I say more
5th - wall of force - Because I trapped 8 kobold's in an ooze by boxing them in and watching.
6th - True Seeing - a good spell but I like putting on my morning mixture of fat, saffron and mushroom.
7th - Statue - Escaped a jail with it once.
8th - Temporal Stasis - I used this once to protect my character's children.
9th - Detonate - Stood on a hill top and blasted a war camp to pieces with it.

Psyren
2012-02-24, 10:51 AM
Are you asking which spell would I choose if I were a D&D character? Or which spell would I choose in the real world, but had the ability to use magic?

prufock
2012-02-24, 10:56 AM
Are you asking which spell would I choose if I were a D&D character? Or which spell would I choose in the real world, but had the ability to use magic?

Presumably game play, as some of the OP's choices seem like they'd be useless in the real world (ie, there's no such thing as Spell Resistance).

Ryulin18
2012-02-24, 11:02 AM

An in character decision.

Kansaschaser
2012-02-24, 11:45 AM
Level 1 - Feather Fall: This spell has saved my life and my companion's life countless times in and out of combat.
Level 2 - Heroics: Gain a bonus fighter feat for 10 minutes/level. You can give this feat to another character.
Level 3 - Haste: You really can't go wrong with this spell.
Level 4 - Polymorph: As long as it's the good polymorph before they nerffed all the good out of it.
Level 5 - Fabricate: Well, a spellcaster needs to make money too.
Level 6 - Hardening: Having your weapons, armor, or magic items sundered sucks.
Level 7 - Stone Shape, Greater: When adventuring in a dungeon or castle made of ston, this spell presents a world of possibilities.
Level 8 - Celerity, Greater: Winning!
Level 9 - Replicate Casting: Anything you can do...

Oh, I should probably mention that I love Transmutation spells. :smallbiggrin:

prufock
2012-02-24, 11:49 AM
You forgot your cantrip!

I've opted for mostly core (Celerity being the exception). My (tentative) list:

0 - Detect Magic
1 - Grease
2 - Detect Thoughts
3 - Dispel Magic
4 - Celerity
5 - Teleport
6 - True Seeing
7 - Greater Shadow Conjuration
8 - Polymorph Any Object
9 - Shapechange

Tyndmyr
2012-02-24, 12:19 PM
Having a discussion amongst my gaming group when we were asked, "what spell would you choose if you only had 1 spell for each level of the sorcerer/wizard list? Not the most broken, or the easiest to exploit. You're personal choice by experience with them."

This got me for a while. There are so many to choose from. But heres mine from 2 years of experience.

1st - True Casting - +10 to SR breaker checks is nice.
2nd - Slapping Hand - DC 20 concentration or AoO? Awesome for party play
3rd - Mage Armour, greater - I like the idea of burning arcane armour
4th - Celerity - Time thief...Need I say more
5th - wall of force - Because I trapped 8 kobold's in an ooze by boxing them in and watching.
6th - True Seeing - a good spell but I like putting on my morning mixture of fat, saffron and mushroom.
7th - Statue - Escaped a jail with it once.
8th - Temporal Stasis - I used this once to protect my character's children.
9th - Detonate - Stood on a hill top and blasted a war camp to pieces with it.

I'm ignoring this and treating this as if it were in real life. Because this'd be awesome.

0th: Prestidigitation
1st: Power Word: Pain
2nd: Detect Thoughts
3rd: Blink
4th: Dimension Door
5th: Dominate Person
6th: Contingency
7th: Limited Wish
8th: Polymorph Any Object
9th: Wish

Kansaschaser
2012-02-24, 12:45 PM
Well, if it were for real life, then my spell selection would be totally different.

Level 1 - Comprehend Languages: I'm American so I'm pretty lazy when it comes to learning languages other than English.
Level 2 - Repair Moderate Damage: I'd never have to call the repair man again.
Level 3 - Shrink Item: Moving will now be a breeze, plus I won't have to pay for a parking spot anymore when I can carry my car around in my pocket as a piece of cloth.
Level 4 - Stone Shape: I've always wanted to do "Minecraft" in real life.
Level 5 - Telekinesis: Oh, there's so much I could do with this.
Level 6 - Wall of Iron: Yeah, I'm thinking of selling scrap metal for money.
Level 7 - Limited Wish: Well, this covers every other low level spell that I haven't selected.
Level 8 - Polymorph Any Object: If Jan Brady had this spell, she could have turned that glass into a real George Glass for a quick date.
Level 9 - Teleportation Circle: Because I don't think I have enough XP to spend on Wish.

@Tyndmyr: Your spell selection for "real life" makes me think you want to become an evil mastermind and take over the planet.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-24, 01:06 PM
@Tyndmyr: Your spell selection for "real life" makes me think you want to become an evil mastermind and take over the planet.

Look, I've GOT to go mad with power. It's just not the same going mad without it.

Slipperychicken
2012-02-24, 01:43 PM
Look, I've GOT to go mad with power. It's just not the same going mad without it.

I agree with most of your spell list, except I don't think I could shell out for (Limited) Wish, so I'd personally go with Mindrape and Greater Teleport instead.

Mystify
2012-02-24, 02:01 PM
Would this be a different list than the list of the first spell you learn of each level as a sorcerer?

Tyndmyr
2012-02-24, 02:20 PM
I agree with most of your spell list, except I don't think I could shell out for (Limited) Wish, so I'd personally go with Mindrape and Greater Teleport instead.

I actually looked at both of those, but Mindrape is 9th, and thus, would cost me Wish proper, and frankly, the amount of benefit I could get from Wish is pretty crazy. With dim door and blink, mobility is already not a great problem, and I can emulate teleport with lim. wish if absolutely necessary. However, wish is expensive. Limited wish instead is probably more practical for additional flexibility instead of over-reliance on wish.

docnessuno
2012-02-27, 02:33 PM
0: Detect Magic
1: Magic Missile
2: Mirror Images
3: Fireball
4: Improved Invisibility
5: Firebrand
6: True seeing
7: Limited Wish
8: Polymorph Any Object
9: Disjunction