PDA

View Full Version : Are the Starshines and Draketooths related?

WickedWizard17
2012-02-24, 12:20 PM
They both have red hair as a common trait in their family. They're both all on the Chaotic Good(ish) end of the spectrum, with a large population of rogues and other secretive classes. They're all intensely suspicious and trust only family. COINCIDENCE? I think not. Discuss.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-24, 12:28 PM
Are you saying alignment, class, and general attitudes of paranoia and distrust are genetically inherited? Because I can't make any sense of that at all. The comic certainly doesn't support such a view.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-02-24, 12:28 PM
They both have red hair as a common trait in their family. They're both all on the Chaotic Good(ish) end of the spectrum, with a large population of rogues and other secretive classes. They're all intensely suspicious and trust only family. COINCIDENCE? I think not. Discuss.

If the Draketooth Clan was killed via Familicide, then no. At least, not closely enough for the Starshines to be affected (if they were, that's probably the only thing that would make V feel even worse--s/he genuinely likes Haley). If they weren't, then it's still up for grabs.

martianmister
2012-02-24, 12:34 PM
Are you saying alignment, class, and general attitudes of paranoia and distrust are genetically inherited? Because I can't make any sense of that at all. The comic certainly doesn't support such a view.

Nurture, not nature. :smallwink:

Johel
2012-02-24, 01:06 PM
If the Draketooth Clan was killed via Familicide, then no. At least, not closely enough for the Starshines to be affected (if they were, that's probably the only thing that would make V feel even worse--s/he genuinely likes Haley). If they weren't, then it's still up for grabs.

... You know, that's actually a perfectly valid explanation for the scene.
Sudden death of a epic illusionist and his whole family.
Or at least his whole family : Draketooth might have made the save.
If he did, he must be ROYALLY pissed off, now.

BaronOfHell
2012-02-24, 02:09 PM
But if he made the save would he not have resurrected them all through scolls? I believe with his level he can afford it.

On the other hand the spell wasn't cast that long ago. Maybe Girard simply is unaware of what have happened? Like Xykon wouldn't know if Gobbotopia turned into Azure city during the weeks he sometimes dissapear.

hoff
2012-02-24, 02:28 PM
It's possible that Ian is a son of Girard who fled his oppressive father and changed his name. Maybe when Ian fled Tarquin he went to find his clan to ask for help.

Crisis21
2012-02-24, 02:57 PM
It's possible that Ian is a son of Girard who fled his oppressive father and changed his name. Maybe when Ian fled Tarquin he Fled to find his clan to ask for help.

I'm finding the idea that Ian fled Tarquin and went to Girard (or whoever is currently in charge) to be extremely likely. Even if they aren't related.

Why? Because that's the kind of Gambit Pileup that Rich would do for no reason other than it's amusing. And dramatic.

Timeless Error
2012-02-24, 03:07 PM
I'm also considering this theory; in addition to the personality traits you mentioned (which, of course, aren't conclusive proof), we know that Haley has a tattoo (although not on her face like the other Draketooths) and that Ian is heading off into the desert to escape Tarquin. Seems plausible to me. Of course, it's either this or the Familicide theory (otherwise Haley and Ian would be dead), and I'm currently trying to decide which one is more convincing.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-24, 03:10 PM
Nurture, not nature. :smallwink:

Exactly. That was my point.

The only argument the OP has is thus based on hair color. That's not much to go on. In fact, it is nothing to go on, because we know that we shouldn't make off-the-cuff assumptions about relations based on hair style / color in the strip.

Petey7
2012-02-24, 03:22 PM
I'm also considering this theory; in addition to the personality traits you mentioned (which, of course, aren't conclusive proof), we know that Haley has a tattoo (although not on her face like the other Draketooths) and that Ian is heading off into the desert to escape Tarquin.

To be fair not all of them have the tattoo on their face. Look at the woman in the bottom laft-hand corner.

Crisis21
2012-02-24, 03:36 PM
I'm also considering this theory; in addition to the personality traits you mentioned (which, of course, aren't conclusive proof), we know that Haley has a tattoo (although not on her face like the other Draketooths) and that Ian is heading off into the desert to escape Tarquin. Seems plausible to me. Of course, it's either this or the Familicide theory (otherwise Haley and Ian would be dead), and I'm currently trying to decide which one is more convincing.

To be fair not all of them have the tattoo on their face. Look at the woman in the bottom laft-hand corner.

Let me shoot this line of reasoning down right now. Haley's tattoo is on her back and is nothing like the Draketooth family's tattoos.

You can see it in panel nine on the second page of comic 468 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0468.html).