PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for years of tips, tutorials and inspiration

I Participated
2012-02-24, 02:03 PM
I've been lurking on the GITP forum for several years. Now I've finally joined, and that means I can tell you all THANKYOU!

Over the years you've inadvertantly given me quite a few tips about vector drawing. I'm still not very good using vector software, and every time my temporary (usually week-long) drawing interest wears off, I forget most of what I learned. But eventually I decide to pick things up again (for another day or three), and each time I come back and lurk here for a refresher course.

And a really big thankyou to Trazoi , for your ancient but still awesome "Learning Inkscape - An Order of the Stick Avatar Guide" website. (The one at http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/index.html )

Now that I've joined the forum at last*, I figured I had better build myself an avatar. Here's my method. It's not quite as polished as your methods... :smallbiggrin:

Step 1: Search for those pencil sketches I was scribbling in the margins of things the other day.
Step 1b: Tidy up my desk, the office, and the whole house; then try step 1 again.
Step 2: Google to find the awesome OOTS Inkscape tutorial (apparently Trazoi's) that I remember seeing years ago.
Step 3. Search GITP for general avatar tips.
Step 4: Pick a sketch, scan it, and paste it into my empty file as a reference.
Steps 5 - 1,000,000: Kick and coax an avatar out of my software, with breaks for GITP searches, general googling, and flicking through the OOTS books.
Step 1,000,001: Search GITP for advice on what image-hosting website to choose.
Step 1,000,002: Join Photobucket.
Step 1,000,001: Search GITP for instructions on linking to the Photobucket image.
Step 1,000,0003-7: Upload to Photobucket -> import to GITP -> check -> revise and improve my avatar. -> repeat as necessary.
Step 1,000,0008: Come here and say thankyou.

Ta-DAH! One avatar!

And I made it all by my self... with years and years of help from you GITP artists.

So.... Thankyou again, and keep up the good work.

P.S. I also spent the Kickstarter final countdown making avatars for that site, but with no research, much more kicking, and for some reason some hobbits that spent half an hour being taken to Isengard. Not surprisingly, tonight's avatar is a lot better!

P.P.S. I think I'd rather not have feedback on my avatar, coz it'll do as it is. I'm just having fun!

shawnhcorey
2012-02-24, 03:43 PM
P.P.S. I think I'd rather not have feedback on my avatar, coz it'll do as it is. I'm just having fun![/SIZE]

But I think it's great. Oops, sorry. :smallwink: :smallbiggrin:

M-Flem-Jr
2012-02-24, 04:08 PM
I agree! :smallsmile: