PDA

View Full Version : why does nobody post on my threads...

PowerGamer
2012-02-24, 04:05 PM
Disapointed. I post a thread an hour ago. Have 16 view and 0 responses. Others have posted a thread in the last 10 minutes and have 1000s of views and responses. Why does no one read or respond to my threads?

warty goblin
2012-02-24, 04:17 PM
The answer is probably as disappointing as it is obvious: nobody is interested in replying to your topic as you've framed it.

Half of getting replies is talking about something people are interested in. The other half is setting it up right, not excessively long or boringly short, and leaving room for others to discuss the topic.

THAC0
2012-02-24, 04:18 PM
Probably because not many people know all about ocarinas?

razark
2012-02-24, 04:20 PM
Possibly nobody is interested in ocarinas, or has no input that would be of value?

And the threads with hundreds/thousands of replies/views are threads that have existed for a lot longer than your thread. They were merely replied to more recently than yours.

This thread now has at least two responses, which means that people are replying to your thread.

PowerGamer
2012-02-24, 04:26 PM
It's not just the ocarina thread. Ever since I got my account it's been like this (few months). I guess it might be in how i frame things as mentioned by warty goblin. I guess most of my questions are kind of narrow because I do all my research first and then ask for opinions on what I decided.

Tyndmyr
2012-02-24, 04:34 PM
Depends on topic. I contribute to a great many topics, but know essentially nothing about things such as ocarinas. So...it would do little good for me to post to such a thread.

Coidzor
2012-02-24, 04:40 PM
The other half is setting it up right, not excessively long or boringly short, and leaving room for others to discuss the topic.

Indeed, that bit of magic mojo right there always gets me. Of course, part of the problem is that Monkday and ToBesday are attention sinks in and of themselves, and there's always some argument that people keep checking up on.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-24, 06:32 PM
Well, people have posted on this thread... PARADOX! :smalltongue:

warty goblin
2012-02-24, 07:39 PM
Well, people have posted on this thread... PARADOX! :smalltongue:

Naw, it's disproof by counter-example.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-24, 07:52 PM
Naw, it's disproof by counter-example.

I was joking / being facetious. Hence: :smalltongue:

Crow
2012-02-24, 08:42 PM
There are loads of musically-oriented forums out there.

Posting about Ocarinas there would probably get you more useful responses than posting about them here.

PowerGamer
2012-02-24, 09:12 PM
There are loads of musically-oriented forums out there.

Posting about Ocarinas there would probably get you more useful responses than posting about them here.

But that would involve me joining another forum. This o e takes enough of my time as is, and I have others too. This is my favorite though

Traab
2012-02-24, 09:16 PM
Try to include zombies in your threads to gain interest. Then slowly guide the discussion back to ocarinas. Or mention weaponized ocarinas, that usually works. I think I have 14 threads with some combination of the words weapon, zombie, and ocarina in the title, all with at least 5 pages of replies.

Crow
2012-02-24, 11:04 PM
But that would involve me joining another forum. This o e takes enough of my time as is, and I have others too. This is my favorite though

OMG really? You don't have to become a permanent resident of every forum you post to. Sign up, ask your questions, get some answers, and maybe go there again sometime if you have more questions or the mood just takes you.

I belong to loads of forums. Do I go to each one every day? Do I spend huge amounts of time at every one I go to?

No.

Do I have easy access to some people that share my interests and are around to talk about subjects I find interesting at any hour of the day?

Yes.

Quit being lazy and branch out.

Flickerdart
2012-02-24, 11:07 PM
It must be an ancient Gypsy Curse, passed down to you from your ancestors, who would have had no idea about what a message board is supposed to be, and thus did not ever suspect they were cursed.

DabblerWizard
2012-02-25, 01:00 PM
.... I guess most of my questions are kind of narrow because I do all my research first and then ask for opinions on what I decided.

PowerGamer: Moving beyond interest in the topic, if you start a thread that covers a topic that goes beyond common knowledge, you could include extra information about that topic in your initial thread post to help other forum goers, so that they have a knowledge base to work off of.

Otherwise, if you simply post about a specialized topic without the above, it's really up to chance whether other people will know enough to be able to respond.

DabblerWizard
2012-02-25, 01:02 PM

Quit being lazy and branch out.

This is somewhat rude and could be worded more kindly. :smallconfused:

akma
2012-02-25, 01:21 PM
This is a common forum phenomenon. The number of views is tens of times larger then the number of posts, and often there are dozens of views before the first comment. It involves forums guests, people who have nothing to say and people who decided it didn`t intrest them after they started reading.
But there is one thing you said that wasn`t addressed here:

I post a thread an hour ago.
The fact that you expected to be responded to in an hour. Forums can be slow - it could take days (althought more likely a few hours) until someone responds to you. Don`t expect replies in an hour. It`s best to post a thread and then do something else for a few hours before checking it again.

super dark33
2012-02-25, 01:43 PM
Well, now you can say that people post on your threads, dont ya? :smallwink:

Bhu
2012-02-25, 04:38 PM
If you want replies I find it to be easier to get them if you post pictures of cats, cthulhus, or naked elf women. Sadly the last option is not available to you on GitP...

Serpentine
2012-02-25, 04:43 PM
It's also about as covered as it can be here, in the Dungeons and Dreamboats thread.

Coidzor
2012-02-25, 05:30 PM
If you want replies I find it to be easier to get them if you post pictures of cats, cthulhus, or naked elf women. Sadly the last option is not available to you on GitP...

But how do you tell them apart from the naked elf men?! :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2012-02-25, 07:05 PM
Disapointed. I post a thread an hour ago. Have 16 view and 0 responses. Others have posted a thread in the last 10 minutes and have 1000s of views and responses. Why does no one read or respond to my threads?

A) Nobody has anything to contribute to the thread. It happens.

B) 1,000s of responses in 10 minutes? That's not even possible.

Worira
2012-02-25, 07:39 PM
It must be an ancient Gypsy Curse, passed down to you from your ancestors, who would have had no idea about what a message board is supposed to be, and thus did not ever suspect they were cursed.

Man, I've probably got like twenty different Gypsy Curses on me for stuff like virtual reality and faster-than-light travel.

Traab
2012-02-25, 07:48 PM

Same way you tell in real life. Tell the elf a joke. If he laughs, its a male elf, if she laughs its a female.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-25, 08:17 PM
B) 1,000s of responses in 10 minutes? That's not even possible.

It is, but it involves so many people posting a reply at once and so many ninjas that it'll probably never happen.

thubby
2012-02-25, 08:21 PM
having a subject that promotes discussion is something of a challenge.

the biggest threads are on a "live" subject. shows/comics/ever changing social climate. they change regularly and so promote discussion.

ex: the MLP thread lives because the bronies (sweet holy thor spellcheck recognized brony) generate catastrophic amounts of material from the subject.

"questions of a weird mind" went on because anyone could talk about almost anything.

Objection
2012-02-25, 08:35 PM
It is, but it involves so many people posting a reply at once and so many ninjas that it'll probably never happen.

And think of the server, man! Think of the server!

Dr.Epic
2012-02-25, 10:56 PM

Actually, not so. 600 seconds make up 10 minutes (60 seconds per minute). That would be a post in a fraction of a second and that's just going by 1,000 posts in 10 minutes. Thousands would be a post in well under half a second. People couldn't even read the original post to properly comment.

Flickerdart
2012-02-25, 11:57 PM
Man, I've probably got like twenty different Gypsy Curses on me for stuff like virtual reality and faster-than-light travel.
Yep. The further we advance technologically, the more Gypsy Curses will rear their ugly head. It's a major sustainability problem.

GolemsVoice
2012-02-26, 02:22 AM
But how do the gypsies know what is to come? WHAT HAVE THEY SEEN?

PowerGamer
2012-02-26, 07:22 AM
Actually, not so. 600 seconds make up 10 minutes (60 seconds per minute). That would be a post in a fraction of a second and that's just going by 1,000 posts in 10 minutes. Thousands would be a post in well under half a second. People couldn't even read the original post to properly comment.

So I exaggerated a little bit. I was like 1100 posts or something like that.

Studoku
2012-02-26, 07:30 AM
That's even more posts.

If you mean 100, I'd still be interested to see the thread. I haven't seen anything that popular here apart from the comic discussion threads.

PowerGamer
2012-02-26, 12:21 PM
Wow I'm sure blind as a bat. Yeah 110 makes more sense now. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227216) the thread.

Nix Nihila
2012-02-26, 12:35 PM
Wow I'm sure blind as a bat. Yeah 110 makes more sense now. Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227216) the thread.

That thread took 6 days to get to 100 posts. Also, it's a well established thread for anyone to talk about relationships in.

Anyways, most threads don't get much traffic, especially if they're about things not many people know about or are interested in. Don't take it to mean that people are avoiding your threads.

Bhu
2012-02-26, 01:05 PM

Wait for them to disrobe. Elf women wear magical bosom repressing shirts since their natural endowments get in the way of archery.

Selrahc
2012-02-26, 01:09 PM

Somebody posts a thread. Say it takes about a minute to read, and a minute to post up a proper reply. 1000 people simultaneously start reading and then reply. Two minutes after the thread is posted, it has 1000 replies.

Obviously that won't happen on GitP. But it is by no means "physically impossible".

Cikomyr
2012-02-26, 01:17 PM

How about naked Cthulhus?

Flickerdart
2012-02-26, 01:54 PM
Somebody posts a thread. Say it takes about a minute to read, and a minute to post up a proper reply. 1000 people simultaneously start reading and then reply. Two minutes after the thread is posted, it has 1000 replies.

Obviously that won't happen on GitP. But it is by no means "physically impossible".
Somebody posts a thread. Say it takes about a minute to read, and a minute to post up a proper reply. 1000 people simultaneously start reading and then reply. Two minutes after the thread is posted, the forums go down for half an hour. :smalltongue: