PDA

View Full Version : How come Haley didn't notice the smell?

AngelusAlvus
2012-02-24, 04:55 PM
Haley spent a good amount of time by the side of Roy's rotting corpse. How come she didn't remember how dead bodies smelled like?
This actually give credit to the theory it's all an illusion.

Goosefarble
2012-02-24, 05:28 PM
Belkar says that it's not rotting corpses he can smell.

Of course people are saying that they don't look a lot like they're rotting; more like they're mummified, which is a completely different smell.

Although I personally tend to lean towards the illusion theory too.

Slayn82
2012-02-24, 06:28 PM
Belkar got nauseated by the smell, described either as "stinkass" or worse then a bunch of sweaty human gladiators.

Some time after death, the body releases the contents of the intestines and bladder. Dry climate causes dessication of the flesh. The illusions cast by the Draketooth clan to disguise their scent could last up to 20 days conceivably - but probably near four weeks have passed since familycide spell. So, around 7-8 days since the insects have found the Draketooth Jerkys.

Since they got near the entrance of this area, before finding the pyramid, even Elan was discerning the scent. At the stairs, Durkon, a dwarf of all people, started complaining about the smell.

It's not so much Haley or anyone else didn't notice the smell as they were closing, as it actually smelled diferent enough of most dead corpses they're used.

EmperorSarda
2012-02-24, 08:45 PM
Durkon and Roy both noticed the smell too. Maybe not exactly where it was coming from, but they noticed. Which means Haley probably did too. Not everyone needs to affirm something to make it true.

t209
2012-02-24, 09:12 PM
So it is not illusion (everyone can smell, even humans, elves, and dwarves). We'll wait for next week or (next day if it is still everyday update).

blackspeeker
2012-02-24, 09:53 PM
So it is not illusion (everyone can smell, even humans, elves, and dwarves). We'll wait for next week or (next day if it is still everyday update).

Illusion magic can decieve multiple senses, scent included.

factotum
2012-02-25, 03:01 AM
Haley spent a good amount of time by the side of Roy's rotting corpse. How come she didn't remember how dead bodies smelled like?

Belkar was the only one who smelled it initially because he has a much more sensitive nose than the others, and as already pointed out, he didn't think it smelled like rotting corpses--and heck knows he's been around enough of them! However, as Slayne points out, these corpses are not rotting in the way that Belkar would be familiar with, due to being dried out by the dry desert winds, which probably explains the unfamiliar smell.

Dr.Epic
2012-02-25, 03:15 AM

How much time is "a good amount"? We know she had his corpse in her possession. I doubt she spent every second of every day hanging out with a rotting corpse. Not to mention this is a Medieval society. How good do you think people smelt? Plus, her sense of smell is still only human, and neither Roy or Elan could smell them.

Cavenskull
2012-02-25, 03:16 AM
Maybe she spent so much time around Roy's corpse that she doesn't notice the smell of dead bodies anymore. :smalltongue:

saint_007
2012-02-25, 03:27 AM
It's been a while since I posted, hasn't it :smallfrown:

Though looking upon the carnage, I'm trying to think who or what could have caused this.

Then I realized something. Girard Draketooth:smalleek:

Familycide. :eek:

Way to go, V. Way to go.:smallmad:

Though I agree; the bodies are probably mummified and thus are dry instead of rotting.

ti'esar
2012-02-25, 06:55 AM

Though looking upon the carnage, I'm trying to think who or what could have caused this.

Though I agree; the bodies are probably mummified and thus are dry instead of rotting.

This theory might have been suggested once or twice before. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2012-02-25, 10:19 AM

Yeah, that is a good point. But how long was that cast? Would the bodies be more decomposed?

Gandariel
2012-02-25, 10:42 AM
Answer to the OP:

Because Haley (just like the rest of the OOTS) doesn't have a nose!
i'm sure you all have checked the extras in a moment of boredom

Dr.Epic
2012-02-25, 10:48 AM
Answer to the OP:

Because Haley (just like the rest of the OOTS) doesn't have a nose!
i'm sure you all have checked the extras in a moment of boredom

Then how can Belkar smell it?

Sanguine
2012-02-25, 11:43 AM

Obviously Halflings smell with their feet.

Gandariel
2012-02-25, 11:53 AM

he was picking directions at random, and he found it by chance, obviously.

Also explains why Belkar didn't say a thing about being with the gladiators, or doesn't usually complain about being with humans all the time.

saint_007
2012-02-25, 12:28 PM
Well, like I said, I hadn't been to the forums for a long time :(

As for why haley didn't smell them, not sure.

But like I said, I'm thinking the bodies are mummified, not rotted. You need a certain amount of moisture for decaying a body. The bugs just have a very good sense of smell.

Peelee
2012-02-25, 04:37 PM
*snip*this is a Medieval society. How good do you think people smelt?*snip*

I'd imagine they smell pretty much like we do now, if people used spells to mask their scent after a single all-nighter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0838.html) (panel 7).

King of Nowhere
2012-02-25, 05:52 PM
Yeah, that is a good point. But how long was that cast? Would the bodies be more decomposed?

the theory has been proposed, and i found it very convincing from the beginning. familicide was cast 1-2 weeks ago, which is consistent with the state fo decaying of the corpses. it was cast around lunchtime (inkirius and the kids were preparing for lunch when the dragon attacked), and the elven land and girard's gate are in the same timeline, so it would have been lunchtime there too. and from the way the corpses are scattered, it looks like it was istantaneous for all of them. everything fits perfectly.

KoboldRevenge
2012-02-25, 07:17 PM
It wasn't lunch time at all, because...Their bodies were posed! Who eats lunch without any utensils?! A easy mistake by the real killers.

(I know this is not anywhere feasible, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see if it sticks.)

Snails
2012-02-25, 11:49 PM
the theory has been proposed, and i found it very convincing from the beginning. familicide was cast 1-2 weeks ago, which is consistent with the state fo decaying of the corpses. it was cast around lunchtime (inkirius and the kids were preparing for lunch when the dragon attacked), and the elven land and girard's gate are in the same timeline, so it would have been lunchtime there too. and from the way the corpses are scattered, it looks like it was istantaneous for all of them. everything fits perfectly.

The apparent instantaneous lethality is the compelling piece. It is impossible to imagine that anything but epic power magic could catch the entire Draketooth Clan hanging out for supper -- their defenses are surely too good. There are many ways to kill a hundred people instantly, but to kill a hundred well defended people before the parents could even flinch and attempt to hide their children under the table or in another room is a very tall order.

V and Xykon are the only known sources of epic magic in the right time frame. Since we know it was not Xykon...

St Fan
2012-02-26, 08:11 AM
It wasn't lunch time at all, because...Their bodies were posed! Who eats lunch without any utensils?! A easy mistake by the real killers.

(I know this is not anywhere feasible, I'm just throwing ideas at the wall to see if it sticks.)

Lots of cultures don't use ustensils for eating, notably a few desert cultures; it's perfectly fine to use your hands to pick food in those.

Or it's just something below the usual amount of details for the art style.

And about the OP: just because Haley doesn't mention the smell doesn't mean she couldn't notice it. The other humans of the party, Elan and Roy, did mention picking it up, so it's likely Haley did too.

V and Xykon are the only known sources of epic magic in the right time frame. Since we know it was not Xykon...

You forget about Girard Draketooth, who has been specifically described as a Epic-level illusionist. If you want to go this route, he's in fact the primary suspect.