PDA

View Full Version : Meetup forum-wide online board gaming meetup, w/ webcams: Tuesday 2/28 @ 8PM EST

warbaker
2012-02-24, 08:04 PM
It's a little crazy, but...

I'd like to host an online meetup next week, where we turn on our webcams and throw down in some online board gaming at gameroom.io, a site a friend and I are building.

If there’s strong interest, we’ll set up a private server for the meetup to keep out the riffraff.

I think it'd be a fun way for people who'd ordinarily only get to see each other at cons to get a chance to hang out!

As for what we'd play, the first game we've implemented is Merchants of Grio, which involves a lot of trading sheep and wood. http://gameroom.io/mog/

Let’s plan to play on Tuesday, 2/28/2011, starting at 8PM EST (GMT-5). Who’s in?

EDIT:
Let's have another session this Saturday, 3/3/2011, from 10AM-12PM EST (3-5PM GMT). Looking forward to hanging out with OOTSers from around the globe!

Castaras
2012-02-26, 02:56 AM
Sounds interesting - but Tuesday is probably not so great if you're wanting anyone other than Americans at that time period. :smallsmile:

warbaker
2012-02-26, 03:11 AM
Hm, that's a good point -- it'd be a lot of fun for people of disparate longitudes to get to meet each other.

Really, I'm not sure the best way to solve the timezone problem. Is there a particular weekend time that makes the most sense?

Eldan
2012-02-26, 07:11 AM
The problem is that the forum has Australians, Americans and Europeans, so pretty much any given time will be the middle of the night or very early morning for someone. I rather doubt you'll get everyone online at any time, unless you find enough people willing to stay up until 4am (or get up at that time).

Eloel
2012-02-26, 07:21 AM
Hm, that's a good point -- it'd be a lot of fun for people of disparate longitudes to get to meet each other.

Really, I'm not sure the best way to solve the timezone problem. Is there a particular weekend time that makes the most sense?

4PM Saturday GMT seems to cover most of your bases (afternoon for Eu, morning for America, night for the east-most part of the timezones)

Edit: Also, consider making it, say, 3PM-5PM, people don't have to chime in at exact start, so they can say hi before going to sleep, or wake up and pop in all morningly :smallsmile:

warbaker
2012-02-28, 05:24 PM
Haven't received enough RSVPs to set up a private server, so we'll just meet in the main lounge at gameroom.io (http://gameroom.io). See you in a few hours! :smallsmile:

Thes Hunter
2012-02-28, 08:14 PM
This sounds like an amazing idea, but unfortunately I am way too busy to try to take part.

Peeps chuck some cardboard (or little wooden bits) for me, and have fun!

etoleb
2012-03-02, 05:35 PM
Sweet, count me in for Saturday!