PDA

View Full Version : Getting to large size on a human

smasher0404
2012-02-24, 11:21 PM
Ok I'm planning out the rest of a tristalt melée build and I was looking through my books to find some PFC to help build to and I saw war hulk. While it seems awesome for my build it has the pesky large size requirement. Besides enlarge person is there any way to make a human large sized?

Flickerdart
2012-02-24, 11:38 PM
A Human can take Stoneblessed to pretend to be a Goliath, and then take barbarian levels with the Mountain Rage ACF normally available to Goliaths, to become Large when raging.

IdleMuse
2012-02-24, 11:45 PM
Well, Expansion, but I'm sensing that's not what you're after. If (broken) dragon mag stuff is allowed, Half-Minotaur is a great template for size increase.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-02-25, 01:15 AM
1. Come up with a variant half-fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) based on a huge size outsider. Goristro (FC1) would be suitable, a Half-Goristro would get Str +8, Con +8, +5 natural armor, DR/Cold Iron or Good, 2 Slams for natural attacks (possibly each considered a two-handed weapon), and some of the default half-fiend spell-like abilities should be switched for Levitate, See Invisibility, Spider Climb, and Fear. Note that a Half-Goristro will increase the base creature's size by one step if it's already large or smaller, with the appropriate stat adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) for doing so.

2. Come up with a gradual level progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031010a) for that variant half-fiend. For the Half-Goristro, I'd add the +8 Str, +8 Con, and +5 natural armor to the bonuses you get for increasing size from medium to large (Str +8, Dex -2, Con +4, +2 natural armor) and split them up over the four levels of the template class. Use the ability descriptions from the linked template class, but modify the level progression as follows:

1st - Str +4, Con +2, natural armor +2, 2 slams, darkvision 60 ft., outsider type, spell-like abilities
2nd - Str +4, Con +4, natural armor +1, powerful build, poison immunity, resistances (acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5), spell resistance (lesser), spell-like abilities
3rd - Str +4, Dex -2, Con +2, natural armor +2, powerful slam, damage reduction, smite good, spell-like abilities
4th - Str +4, Con +4, natural armor +2, large size, (acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10), spell resistance (greater), spell-like abilities

Powerful Build (Ex): At 2nd level, the half-goristro's physical stature lets him function in many ways as if he were one size category larger. Whenever a half-goristro is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-goristro is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A half-goristro is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-goristro can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

At 4th level, this ability is replaced by an actual increase in size category. The half-goristro is now one size larger than he was when he started taking the template class, and has all of the benefits and drawbacks of a creature of his current size category. Do not modify his ability scores or natural armor beyond what is given for the template class, the adjustments for increasing in size have already been included.

Powerful Slam (Ex): A half-goristro’s slam attacks are treated as if they were two-handed weapons for purposes of applying modifiers to damage with Power Attack and from its Strength bonus.

Use the half-fiend template's bite damage chart for his slam attack damage. A half-goristro does not gain the standard wings of a half-fiend, goristros don't have wings. Modify the spell-like abilities and damage reduction as appropriate. Note that the ability score adjustments apply for a medium-size base creature. If using a base creature of a different size, the ability score adjustments will have to be modified.

Mystify
2012-02-25, 06:19 AM
It depends on your DMs interpretation of temporary or pseudo temporary bonuses to qualify for prestige classes. Is being large due to a permament enlarge person fine? Is being large when raging fine? You would, of course, lose all features of the class when not large, but temporary largeness is kinda grey.

Otherwise a template would be the only thing that I can think of.

Venusaur
2012-02-25, 10:51 AM
Would the feat Jotunbrud qualify you? It's from a setting book I don't have, but I heard it makes humans count as large.

Mystify
2012-02-25, 10:54 AM
Would the feat Jotunbrud qualify you? It's from a setting book I don't have, but I heard it makes humans count as large.

You count as large for a few specific situations, which doesn't help in this case.