PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Wizard spells for the Magus

Doorhandle
2012-02-25, 05:13 AM
So, as you know, there is this lovely class called the Magus, found in ultimate magic, that is THE Gish-inna-box.

You probably also know that it has access to Greater Spell Access (Su) and the Spell Blending (Ex) arcarna, which allow it to take spells of levels 1-6 from the wizard spell-list and add it to theirs.

In order to capitalise on this, I'm going to ask this: What wizard spells, between levels 1-6, would be useful for a magus to take?

Obviously touch attacks and self-buffs are a given, but any ranged touch attacks would also be nice for the myridarch archetype, which has ranged spellstrike.

SO! Any ideas?

jaybird
2012-02-25, 11:35 AM
Enervation, especially if you're playing a Dex-focused Magus. 3/4 BAB and high Dex means you never have to worry about hitting on touch. If you're getting up close and personal more then you'd like with d8 hit die, get Greater False Life. Heatstroke is nice (Ray of Exhaustion with a penalty on saves for anyone wearing armour). Battering Blast is amusing, but nothing tops Explosive Runes for hilarity.

Doorhandle
2012-02-25, 05:42 PM
Enervation, especially if you're playing a Dex-focused Magus. 3/4 BAB and high Dex means you never have to worry about hitting on touch. If you're getting up close and personal more then you'd like with d8 hit die, get Greater False Life. Heatstroke is nice (Ray of Exhaustion with a penalty on saves for anyone wearing armour). Battering Blast is amusing, but nothing tops Explosive Runes for hilarity.

Ooh, enervation. Yeah, that was a good pick.

I think Vampric touch might be better simply because it's yet another touch attack, but Magi(?) get that one anyway.

One idea I had was to get presdigination(Just cause) and also dispersing strike, so if I ever ran out of spells while killing undead I could still spellstrike every round. Same idea with ray of frost and that arcana that lets you make Ranged touch spells as melee ones, athough I don't really want to waste an arcarna on that.

Laniius
2012-02-25, 09:42 PM
It's not a wizard spell exclusively, but shocking grasp in conjunction with intensify spell gets nifty. Coupled with magical lineage and it is still a 1st level spell. That can deal 10d6 damage at level 10.