PDA

View Full Version : New Subsystem: Binder Deeds [3.5, WIP, PEACH]

Milo v3
2012-02-25, 08:58 AM
This is Chapter Four for my Binder Of Souls Project.
Details can be found in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234102).

This chapter will cover the various actions (or deeds) you can impose upon your bound minions.

Chapter Four: Deeds
http://www.dandwiki.com/w/images/8/87/Obedience_Deeds_Scale.png
Obedience Rune
Binder are famous at manipulating the very essence of creatures and making them do their whims. They do this by binding their soul to idea of an action. They then are under a compulsion to do the action imprinted upon their soul. Their are various Deeds you can imprint upon a soul, some harder than others.

Each deed is an order which you tell the creature to do. Once you have bound it to this deed then it will try to accomplish the deed.

The creature can fail the deed. If a creature is killed while trying to accomplish the deed then its Binders Pact is over and it is now free. If it fails the task irrevocably without dying then the creature is freed as long as they were actively trying to accomplish the goal without trying to fail. If they were trying to fail or weren't attempting to complete the deed then they are then bound again to a new deed at the choice of the Binder. This deed requires no check but you must still be of appropriate EBL and fufill all the prerequistes.

A binder may use make the binding at a lower EBL than normal to determine the power of the Binding while still allowing them to retain their EBL for other sections of the Binding.

Notes:

EBL stands for Effective Binder Level
The DC's in the table are the Base DC's for the Deed.
The CR for an target to be assassinated is raised to the CR of their protector, if that the Protectors CR is higher. A protector is anyone who is near the target frequently and will fight to protect the target E.g. A bodyguard.

Deed|1- 4 EBL (DC)|5-8 EBL (DC)|9-12 EBL (DC)|13-16 EBL (DC)|17-20 EBL (DC)|Special
Protect Creature|Can function for up to 1 week (DC 10)|Can function for up to 6 months (DC 15)|Can function for up to 10 years (DC 20)|Can function for the targets "current" life (DC 25)|Can function for all time (DC 30)|-
Protect Object|Can function for up to 1 week (DC 10)|Can function for up to 6 months (DC 15)|Can function for up to 10 years (DC 20)|Can function for the targets "current" life (DC 25)|Can function for all time (DC 30)|-
Kill|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR - 5 (DC 10)|The target to be assassinated must have a lower CR than the Bound Creatures CR (DC 15)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR (DC 20)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +2 (DC 25)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +5 (DC 30)|-
Steal|Theft must be very easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 8)|Theft must be easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 10)|Theft can be of moderate difficulty for the Bound Creature (DC 14)|Theft can be difficult or complex for the Bound Creature (DC 16)|Theft can be very difficult and complex for the Bound Creature (DC 18)|-
Knowledge|Really Easy Questions (DC 5)|Basic Question (DC 10)|Difficult quesitons (DC 15)|Really Diffult Questions (DC 25)|Amazingly Secret Information (DC 30)|The bound creature must roll the appropriate Knowledge check once bound. If it fails, then the binding fails
Forget Information|Trival Information (DC 15)|Simply Information (DC 25)|Secret Information (DC 35)|Personal Information (DC 55)|Amazingly Personal Information (DC 65)|The importance of the information is subjective, according to the individual being bound to the deed.

Other Deed's can be made that aren't on this table. The DC's of such Deed's are up to the decision of the DM.

Milo v3
2012-03-03, 07:50 PM
Any ideas for potential Deeds?

Grinner
2012-03-03, 08:01 PM
Is there any particular reason for splitting the commands into variations? Protect, Kill, Steal, and so on should be enough.

Also, are the Prerequisites, with the exception of Knowledge, really necessary? You've already set restrictions in the DC columns, making those seem a bit redundant.

Milo v3
2012-03-03, 08:14 PM
Is there any particular reason for splitting the commands into variations? Protect, Kill, Steal, and so on should be enough.
Because I think protecting or Stealing a magical object would be harder than protecting or stealing a non-magical object. Also the cost is smaller for a non-magical object so it wouldn't fit a magical one.

Also, are the Prerequisites, with the exception of Knowledge, really necessary? You've already set restrictions in the DC columns, making those seem a bit redundant.

That way you can't get a creature to tell you something it doesn't know.

Milo v3
2012-03-03, 08:18 PM
For some reason the forum didn't notice my post. Posting again so it does.

Grinner
2012-03-03, 08:37 PM
That way you can't get a creature to tell you something it doesn't know.

I said quite the opposite. I understand the need to prevent rerolling on knowledge checks, but everything else in that column is just a pointless impediment.

I like the concept you've presented here, but it has been implemented clumsily. By restricting DCs, you've already limited the items the binder can have stolen. If the DM wants to leave an artifact unguarded, that's his business.

I would recommend looking over the Fiendbinder PrC in Tome of Magic.

Milo v3
2012-03-03, 08:51 PM
I said quite the opposite. I understand the need to prevent rerolling on knowledge checks, but everything else in that column is just a pointless impediment.
I actually have no idea what you mean.

I like the concept you've presented here, but it has been implemented clumsily. By restricting DCs, you've already limited the items the binder can have stolen. If the DM wants to leave an artifact unguarded, that's his business.
If he does that then it would be simple and the DC would be 12. It would be the GP cost not the DC's that are restrictive. Should I remove them?

I would recommend looking over the Fiendbinder PrC in Tome of Magic.
I don't have Tome of Magic.

Grinner
2012-03-03, 09:01 PM
Deed|1- 4 EBL (DC)|5-8 EBL (DC)|9-12 EBL (DC)|13-16 EBL (DC)|17-20 EBL (DC)|Special
Protect|Functions for 1 day (DC 8)|Functions for 1 week (DC 10)|Functions for 1 month (DC 12)|Functions for 1 year (DC 14)|Functions for the rest of the creatures "Current" life (DC 18)|--
Kill|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR - 5 (DC 10)|The target to be assassinated must have a lower CR than the Bound Creatures CR (DC 12)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR (DC 14)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +2 (DC 16)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +5 (DC 18)|--
Steal|Theft must be very easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 10)|Theft must be easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 12)|Theft can be of moderate difficulty for the Bound Creature (DC 14)|Theft can be difficult or complex for the Bound Creature (DC 16)|Theft can be very difficult and complex for the Bound Creature (DC 18)|--
Knowledge|Really Easy Questions (DC 5)|Basic Question (DC 10)|Difficult quesitons (DC 15)|Really Diffult Questions (DC 25)|Amazingly Secret Information (DC 30)|The bound creature must roll the appropriate Knowledge check once bound. If it fails, then the binding fails

This is what I'm suggesting.

Milo v3
2012-03-03, 09:21 PM
Protect Creature|Functions for 1 day (DC 10)|Functions for 1 week (DC 12)|Functions for 1 month (DC 14)|Functions for 1 year (DC 16)|Functions for the rest of the creatures "Current" life (DC 18)|--
Protect Object|Functions for 1 day (DC 8)|Functions for 1 week (DC 10)|Functions for 1 month (DC 12)|Functions for 1 year (DC 14)|Functions for the rest of the creatures "Current" life (DC 18)|--
Kill|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR - 5 (DC 10)|The target to be assassinated must have a lower CR than the Bound Creatures CR (DC 12)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR (DC 14)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +2 (DC 16)|The target to be assassinated musn't have a CR over Bound Creatures CR +5 (DC 18)|--
Steal|Theft must be very easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 10)|Theft must be easy and simple for the Bound Creature (DC 12)|Theft can be of moderate difficulty for the Bound Creature (DC 14)|Theft can be difficult or complex for the Bound Creature (DC 16)|Theft can be very difficult and complex for the Bound Creature (DC 18)|--

This is what I'm suggesting.

I'd say that is too broad in for protection but think everything else is better than what I have. Will edit.