PDA

View Full Version : Recreating a semi-ancient wargame / board game!

Ichneumon
2012-02-25, 10:13 AM
So, in the old television series I Claudius, there was a scene were emperor Augustus played a miniature wargame (somewhat like risk) with his two grandsons. You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIf9Qhk8hA0

Now, you do get some very good shots of the miniatures and the board and through the dialogue I think it would be possible construct some rules. Anyone feel like helping to do this? Obviously, the game is fiction (and most likely the tv writers didn't think of an actual game), but it seems like fun. :smallsmile:

I think we can deduce the following:

1. The game is played with knucklebones, but modern versions could use a simple dice.

2. The board consists of europe, divided in regions / provinces.

3. Each player seems to have a pawn (there are three pawns on the board) which they can move a number of provinces each turn equal to te number of dice they've thrown.

4. There are different colored stones on some of the provinces, either indicating legions, supplies (one of the boys says "I'll put two legions in the port" and puts a couple of blue stones on that province and moves one of the stones that was on that province off the board) or something else. This would mean that each player also has a couple of legions that aren't necessarily on the board. There are only three 3 types of stones though, which could mean that a lot of things like corn supplies aren't portrayed as pieces on the board.

5. When you conquer a province (which doesn't seem to involve dice rolling), you sometimes get an extra turn. Why isn't clear to me.

factotum
2012-02-25, 02:25 PM
You forgot that the boy who mentioned putting the legions in the port said it was to cut off the corn supply, so the food supplied by each province must be a factor somehow!

Brother Oni
2012-02-26, 12:27 PM
Sounds very much like Mighty Empires (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Empires).