PDA

View Full Version : Weird Build idea: Confused Turtle [3.P]

Tokuhara
2012-02-25, 11:52 AM
I know that RAW, you don't get the benefit of both shields, but I thought it would be a cool idea to run with. DM favors PHB only, but is using Pathfinder, so how can the Confused Turtle fighting style be optimized using only the core rulebooks?

Volos
2012-02-25, 02:24 PM
At low levels you can shield bash with one shield and maintain the shield bonus from the other. Or you can have two tower shields give you total cover from two facings. :smallwink:

Mystify
2012-02-25, 02:57 PM
Be a cleric. Use spells like fire sheild(you can get it from domains) to damage those that hit you. That type of thing is your only offense. Have 2 tower shields, Use 1 to give total cover, and the other for either total cover of a shield bonus, as circumstance demands.

Another way is to dual-weild sheild bashes.

Or have a sheild for bashing along with a tower sheild.

Tokuhara
2012-02-25, 05:06 PM
The idea was a Light Spiked Steel Shield on my off-hand and a heavy steel one in my main and shield bash my enemies into oblivion. Maybe later have an Animated Tower Shield and have both shields being Throwing and Returning.

ko_sct
2012-02-26, 07:17 AM
At low levels you can shield bash with one shield and maintain the shield bonus from the other. Or you can have two tower shields give you total cover from two facings. :smallwink:

By RAW, a single tower shield give you total give all around you. Even if you are in the air, the shield will somehow create a full sphere of protection around you....

erikun
2012-02-26, 08:54 AM
Two light spiked shields and an animated tower shield as a rogue, or one large spiked shield (for THF) and an animated tower shield, would probably be the most common core shield-fighting styles. Note that your shield spikes can pick up the defending properity, if you want to increase your AC more.

PHBII had some more shield feats, and Races of Stone has some nice exotic shields.

Cieyrin
2012-02-26, 09:15 AM
Two light spiked shields and an animated tower shield as a rogue, or one large spiked shield (for THF) and an animated tower shield, would probably be the most common core shield-fighting styles. Note that your shield spikes can pick up the defending properity, if you want to increase your AC more.

PHBII had some more shield feats, and Races of Stone has some nice exotic shields.

Problem: Shield Spikes aren't separate from the shield. The difference is that there are nonspiked and spiked shields, they aren't a weapon unto themselves. Look at the weapon table, no shield spikes. Armor spikes are their own thing.

This doesn't invalidate anything you're saying, though, as you can still enchant the shield as a weapon for a +X defending shield or buy Bashing on the defensive end and build off of that provided +1 attack to enhance it as a weapon from there. My only other comment on that is don't stack Defending weapons, as that'll just bring on the rain of thrown books and DM wrath, where there'll be a rush of rust monsters and thieves stealing or destroying your stuff or big monsters that are able to hit you and destroy your non-AC optimized allies. Just not good times for anybody.

Tokuhara
2012-03-09, 09:57 AM
Still fun to go ballistic with Super Confused Turtle