PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 4th level spell for Skill Monkey

Thespianus
2012-02-25, 04:14 PM
I'd like to ask for some advice on a good 4th level spell for my Focused Diviner 2 (yeah)/Rogue 3/Fighter 1/Unseen Seer 5. I've just reached level 11, and for my particular build, that means I'm getting 4th level spells. However, since I am a Focused Diviner, I only get ONE general spell slot per day. I get 3 divination spell slots, but only ONE general spell slot, and I need help with spell selection.

I'm not the primary Arcane spellcaster in the party, we have a Sorceror for that, so I want to give us some versatility but I also go into melee a bit for some Hunter's Eye sneak attack fun.

So, the following spells are great at 4th level, in general:

Dimension Door, Black Tentacles, Orb of X, Greater Mirror Image and Greater Invisibility. I have also found Heart of Earth, which seems kind of fun, granting me extra hit points and a Stone Skin effect.

However, Black Tentacles require a good Save DC, and I'm mainly Dex-based (20 dex, 18 int). Also, the Sorcerer has this spell.

Orb of X is good for direct damage, but our Sorcerer has that in spades. Greater Invisiblity is good for a sneak attacker, but it has a short duration and might not see a lot of use.

Dimension Door seems to be a situational life saver, but Heart of Earth gives an all day buff to my hit points, and gives me a Stone Skin effect so I can survive longer. Being a weak glass cannon do have its drawbacks. :)

So, I turn to you, good people: In short, the question is this:

If you were only allowed one 4th level spell slot per day, at character level 11, which one would you pick?

avr
2012-02-25, 07:52 PM
Greater invis is offence and defence for your character. One action for both. Go with it IMO.

Thespianus
2012-02-26, 02:18 AM
Greater invis is offence and defence for your character. One action for both. Go with it IMO.

That is a good point. However, it seems hard to use offensively, when I have a blast-happy Sorcerer, and a charge-happy Barbarian. We will have to come up with some tactical scheme to make sure I don't get caught up in all kinds of Searing Fire AoE-spells. :)

Also, since I'm lagging behind with my spellcasting, won't there be a ton of monsters who have tremorsense and other ways to negate the invisibility?