PDA

View Full Version : Stick Tales Ideas

Ravian
2012-02-25, 06:21 PM
One of my favorite parts of SSADT was the Stick Tales, where they placed themselves into the parts of characters in fairy tales, shakespere plays and spy movies. I'm looking forward to the Haleo and Julelan PDF for the kickstarter, but wondered if there was anyone here with other concepts for stick tales.

One thing I thought would be an interesting idea is the Count of Monte Cristo, by Victor Hugo I believe, for those unfamiliar with the story it revolves around a man imprisoned under false charges by the work of three others who envied his good fortune. He then escapes, finds a vast treasure on the island of Monte Cristo and poses as a rich count in order to get his revenge against those who wronged him so many years ago.

I loved the plot to that story, and would love to see it as a stick tale, but unfortunately I have no clue which characters would play whom (leaning a tad to Redcloak but I feel there must be another one out there)

What ideas would you guys want?

Grey Watcher
2012-02-25, 06:26 PM
Dunno if it's possible due to copyright issues (although it looks to be just old enough), but Six Characters in Search of a Campaign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Characters_in_Search_of_an_Author) has a nice ring to it.

Zevox
2012-02-25, 06:38 PM
My one idea at the moment would be Robin Hood. Robin would be played by Haley of course, complete with her natural greed comically clashing with the role. Other Merry Men would be played by other Order members, whoever seemed most appropriate and amusing. Elan would have to be a Maid Marrian equivalent though, which might be a bit redundant with the Haleo and Julelan story since that's already doing the role-reversal romance (well, to the small extent that you can call Romeo and Juliet a romance, anyway), but eh, I'd be fine with that. For Prince John, Tarquin seems the most appropriate, though maybe Xykon could do as well. Not sure about the Sheriff of Nottingham though - Nale maybe? Sabine or Crystal, since they're Haley's opposite/rival characters?

Zevox

Unisus
2012-02-25, 06:55 PM
As mentioned in another thread, i would love something like H. C. Andersen's "little Mermaid" (NOT Arielle please) with Therkla in the tragic main role.

ella ventic
2012-02-25, 08:35 PM
This came up in another thread too, but I loved the idea of the Pirates of Penzance! My first stab at casting would be:

Pirate King: Julio Scoundrél
Frederic: Elan
Samuel: Thog

Major-General: Roy
Sgt of Police: Celia

Mabel: Haley
Edith: V
Kate: Durkon
Isabel: Belkar

Ruth: Therkla

...but it could go in any number of ways, really.

Man, now I want to go through and cast all the other Gilbert and Sullivans. Celia in Iolanthe...? :)

thepsyker
2012-02-25, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see Lord of the Rings using Frudu and the Ming, or would that be redundant? :smalltongue:

JCarter426
2012-02-25, 10:14 PM
I hope we get more after Haleo and Julelan as well; there are so many stories you can do with it. A couple that are high on my list are Macbeth, with Roy as Macbeth and Belkar as Banquo, and if it were in public domain, The Crucible. Possibly with the suspicion of people being liches rather than witches, but of course no one suspects Xykon.

And one random idea just popped into my head: Jekyll and Hyde, with Elan and Nale.

Whiffet
2012-02-25, 10:26 PM
Possibly with the suspicion of people being liches rather than witches, but of course no one suspects Xykon.

I didn't care for a StickTale of The Crucible until you said this. Now I want it. :smallbiggrin:

JCarter426
2012-02-25, 10:34 PM
I aim to please. :smallbiggrin: But unfortunately I think the film adaptations place it out of public domain.

t209
2012-02-25, 10:45 PM
How about Othello?
Roy- Othello
Celia- Desdemona
Creepy? Ain't it?
Othello kills his own wife when he was tricked by his friend, Iago

KingFlameHawk
2012-02-25, 10:47 PM
Two ideas I have had:

Xykula (Dracula) staring Abraham von Thundershield and others:
Jonathan Harker: Elan
Mina Harker: Haley
Lucy Westenra: Tsukiko
Arthur Holmwood: Roy
John Seward: V
Quincey Morris: Belkar
Renfield: Redcloak

and the twelve quests of Roycules (Hercules) with:
Zeus: Eugene
Hera: Sara (Roy's mother)
Hydra: The Hydra
Hippolyta: Haley

Really the twelve labours really lay out like a campain when you look at them:
1 To kill the Nemean lion
2 To destroy the Lernaean Hydra
3 To capture the Ceryneian Hind alive
4 To trap the Erymanthian boar
5 To clean the Augean stables (Really would like to see Roy's face as he does this one)
6 To butcher the Stymphalian birds
7 To capture the Cretan bull
8 To round up the Mares of Diomedes
9 To fetch Hippolyta's girdle of gold
10 To fetch the cattle of Geryon
11 To fetch the golden apples of the Hesperides
12 To bring Cerberus from Tartarus.

SarahV
2012-02-25, 10:53 PM
The Greeks have so many stories ripe for the Sticking: Heracles, the Odyssey, the Iliad, Prometheus, Jason and the Argonauts, Theseus... so many epic campaigns! You could do a whole book of those.

Grey Watcher
2012-02-25, 11:17 PM
Is this a dagger I see before me?

Sweeeeeeeet. :belkar:

Also, does that make the IFCC the Witches?

Ravian
2012-02-25, 11:34 PM
I liked the Xykula idea, mostly because I'm currently reading Dracula though. I can only imagine the scenes with Roy in the manor. Would be strange seeing Haley worried about Tsukiko though (can imagine her actually being willing to the blood-sucking, instead of charmed, going in with all the zeal of a Twilight fangirl :smalltongue: )

Savannah
2012-02-25, 11:50 PM
This came up in another thread too, but I loved the idea of the Pirates of Penzance! My first stab at casting would be:

That is brilliant! ...man, I was really happy about all the picks until now :smalltongue:

blackspeeker
2012-02-26, 12:03 AM
Dunno if it's possible due to copyright issues (although it looks to be just old enough), but Six Characters in Search of a Campaign (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Characters_in_Search_of_an_Author) has a nice ring to it.

I love that, originally I thought of five characters in search of an exit, the twilight zone episode

Dr._Demento
2012-02-26, 12:56 AM
Well... Les Miserables leads to some interesting casting opportunities.

Ok, mostly it puts Miko as Javert and Therkla as Eponine.

Hackman
2012-02-26, 01:45 PM
The scene where Roy meets his mother in Heaven suggests Oedipus Rex.

Another nice one (but impossible due to copyrights) would be Belkar Bitterleaf, Demon Barber of the Fleet Street.

skaddix
2012-02-26, 07:29 PM
I like that Belkar idea. Would not mind them mocking Harry Potter or something.

Mutant Sheep
2012-02-26, 07:31 PM
I'm still supporting more Duck Tales jokes. Complete with Elan trying to sing the theme. Alot.:smallbiggrin:

Dr. Gamera
2012-02-27, 12:03 AM
The scene where Roy meets his mother in Heaven suggests Oedipus Rex.

Another nice one (but impossible due to copyrights) would be Belkar Bitterleaf, Demon Barber of the Fleet Street.

Not impossible for reasons of copyright - Sweeney Todd dates to 1846.

thepsyker
2012-02-27, 02:10 AM
Besides these would pretty obviously count as parody, which would be covered under fair use would they not?

Hironomus
2012-02-27, 02:42 AM
Les Miserables, Othello, Macbeth and Sweeney Todd are all stories I would like to see adapted. I think Nale would make a terrific Iago. He has elaborate and diabolical plans pretty much mastered.

Also I greatly enjoyed all those star wars references awhile back. Am I alone in wanting to see more of that?

Grey Watcher
2012-02-27, 08:40 AM
Not impossible for reasons of copyright - Sweeney Todd dates to 1846.

Well, I think it gets a little more complicated than that. The basic idea (crazy barber who murders his customers with an accomplice who bakes the remains into meat pies) does go back that far and is therefore public domain. The tricky part comes is that most of the specific plot people are familiar with (sent to Australia so a corrupt judge could bang his wife and is now back for revenge, etc.), comes from Christopher Bond's 1973 play, which is most definitely still under copyright. Now, Rich could probably pull it off under Fair Use (parody), but it can be a difficult line to tread.

Thursday
2012-02-27, 10:30 AM
the Count of Monte Cristo, by Victor Hugo I believe

Alexandre Dumas (pere)

Sorry, had to satisfy my inner pedant. I want to see the pirates of penzance too now....