PDA

View Full Version : What if in 698...

Thump
2012-02-25, 07:27 PM
that the scrying eye in that strip wasn't Z? There's only one other person who has green arcane energy. Check strip #500.

KillItWithFire
2012-02-25, 07:28 PM
Okay so presuming it is Eugene what does this mean exactly?

Thump
2012-02-25, 07:32 PM
Okay so presuming it is Eugene what does this mean exactly?

He's not alive, but he's scrying to check on their progress, and (presumably) to see if Xykon has left yet. He may have already checked Azure City, but the Cloister spell wouldn't have let him see.

Basically, I think that he was checking to see if Xykon had invisiblity or not and was following them. (even though Xykon's wisdom score is abysmal)

ThePhantasm
2012-02-25, 07:33 PM
Eh, I still think it is Z.

Also, do you mind changing the thread title to something less... vague?

Giddon
2012-02-25, 07:36 PM
He's not alive, but he's scrying to check on their progress, and (presumably) to see if Xykon has left yet. He may have already checked Azure City, but the Cloister spell wouldn't have let him see.

Basically, I think that he was checking to see if Xykon had invisiblity or not and was following them. (even though Xykon's wisdom score is abysmal)

But Eugene can scry through the Cloister spell, in the same comic you mentioned that's what is happening.

Thump
2012-02-25, 07:38 PM
But Eugene can scry through the Cloister spell, in the same comic you mentioned that's what is happening.

Oh, well.... :smalleek:

that's what happens when my attention span is about as long as the wavelength of a gamma ray.

Giddon
2012-02-25, 07:42 PM
Sorry not in 500, they are scrying on Durkon there, but I direct your attention to 510 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html) where they do scry on Haley while in Azure City.

Also IIRC, Z does have green magic, i believe in his first appearance his magic is green.

Thump
2012-02-25, 07:57 PM
Sorry not in 500, they are scrying on Durkon there, but I direct your attention to 510 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0510.html) where they do scry on Haley while in Azure City.

Also IIRC, Z does have green magic, i believe in his first appearance his magic is green.

Ik, I was just saying that hes not the only one with green magic, so there is a possibility there.
(Out of curiosity, is there a spell in any version of DND that lets you see into the future?)

Gift Jeraff
2012-02-25, 07:58 PM
Eugene's is clearly a lighter shade of green, with a white outline. The scrying eye in the desert matches with Z's dweomer in his recent duel with V.

Also, how is it a plot twist or anything significant if it is Eugene? It goes without say that he's watching the OOTS.

ella ventic
2012-02-25, 08:47 PM
Nale pretty much confirms it was the Linear Guild's scrying in comic #801 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0801.html):

:nale: "Last week you're hundreds of miles away in the middle of the desert--and then suddenly you're right here in my face? Just by coincidence? Admit it, you came here to expose my presence to our father!"

:elan: "I didn't even know our father was-- Wait, how did you know we were in the middle of--"

etc. etc., swordfighting, etc.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-25, 11:40 PM
There's only one other person who has green arcane energy.
There is only one other person that we, the audience, have seen, you mean.

Grey Watcher
2012-02-25, 11:48 PM
There is only one other person that we, the audience, have seen, you mean.

Not exactly. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0816.html)

Toxinthegreat
2012-02-26, 12:08 AM

You are wrong. Roy could quite easily scry on Haley (With his fathers help) When he died. So, he would have easily seen Gobbtopia (Formerly: Azure city) and what Xykon was doing.

FujinAkari
2012-02-26, 03:06 AM
You are wrong. Roy could quite easily scry on Haley (With his fathers help) When he died. So, he would have easily seen Gobbtopia (Formerly: Azure city) and what Xykon was doing.

She knows that... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12790476&postcount=6)

martianmister
2012-02-26, 03:54 AM

Also, The Oracle.

KoboldRevenge
2012-02-26, 05:01 AM
None of these people are feasible because, that eye is white with green pupils. While everyone we've seen so far in this comic has had completely black eyeballs!:smallbiggrin:

cloudland
2012-02-26, 06:11 AM
Sangwaan magic appeared to be white (with true seeing), but it's also shown to be blue when she scried the exploded dungeon. Eugene presumably have always been scrying on the always, beside, his magic seems to be a mix of white (when he use detect scrying) and green (when he fire up the scrying pool). So back at that strip, I thought only a few possibility:
-Colour is not consistent with character (just like how Sangwaan and Eugene have multiple colour) and this is just someone from Girard clan.
-It's Eugene, and the purpose is to show that Scruffy have very high int score.
-It's someone who hurt Scruffy before (probably someone who tried to assasinate Shojo), and Scruffy have very high int and can even detect the identity of the scrier.

Of course, when recent strip it's clear that it's Zzdtri. Nale know about Elan being in the desert. Zzdtri have been scrying over the whole desert trying to rule out the location of Girard's gate with Penelope's help. And the colour matched. The only question left is, how does Scruffy know about Zzdtri (the last panel show Scruffy is very afraid)?

Jaros
2012-02-26, 06:50 AM
Sangwaan magic appeared to be white (with true seeing), but it's also shown to be blue when she scried the exploded dungeon. Eugene presumably have always been scrying on the always, beside, his magic seems to be a mix of white (when he use detect scrying) and green (when he fire up the scrying pool). So back at that strip, I thought only a few possibility:
-Colour is not consistent with character (just like how Sangwaan and Eugene have multiple colour) and this is just someone from Girard clan.
-It's Eugene, and the purpose is to show that Scruffy have very high int score.
-It's someone who hurt Scruffy before (probably someone who tried to assasinate Shojo), and Scruffy have very high int and can even detect the identity of the scrier.

Of course, when recent strip it's clear that it's Zzdtri. Nale know about Elan being in the desert. Zzdtri have been scrying over the whole desert trying to rule out the location of Girard's gate with Penelope's help. And the colour matched. The only question left is, how does Scruffy know about Zzdtri (the last panel show Scruffy is very afraid)?

I assumed he was just afraid of the big eye.

Shhalahr Windrider
2012-02-26, 09:09 AM
And these folks are not likely to be the only other people with green magic, either.

Dr. Strangelove
2012-02-27, 03:30 AM
None of these people are feasible because, that eye is white with green pupils. While everyone we've seen so far in this comic has had completely black eyeballs!:smallbiggrin:

aCTUALLY IT WAS NECESSARY TO PUT AN EYEBALL AND PUPIL THERE TO MAKE IT CLEAR IT WAS AN EYE. tHE BLACK SPOTS ON PEOPLE'S FACES ARE EYES DUE TO PLACEMENT, WE NEEDED MORE DETAIL TO KEEP THE SCRYING (sorry, had caps key on and didn't know) from just being a black ball and having everyone go "What's that black ball doing there?"

Hopeless
2012-02-27, 06:57 AM
Hold on can Durkon put Roy in contact with his dad?

I mean if he can see through the Cloister spell then why isn't he making use of that to keep up to date with what that particular group are up to in fact whats stopping him asking Eugene from scrying out Girard given they have similar specialities and having a chat with him or them?

I know Eugene's a jerk but still it would have meant them not wasting as much time as they have.

It would be interesting since the reason Eugene is stuck where he is is because of his failed responsiblities so what if he took a clue and tried to help?

Dr. Strangelove
2012-02-27, 08:36 AM

I mean if he can see through the Cloister spell then why isn't he making use of that to keep up to date with what that particular group are up to in fact whats stopping him asking Eugene from scrying out Girard given they have similar specialities and having a chat with him or them?

I know Eugene's a jerk but still it would have meant them not wasting as much time as they have.

It would be interesting since the reason Eugene is stuck where he is is because of his failed responsiblities so what if he took a clue and tried to help?

He's been trying to help all along, from his first warnings to roy about the goat turning red and so on.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-27, 09:53 AM

Eugene has not been able to manifest to Roy since his sword broke. And since his sword was fixed with Starmetal, I believe its lost its special connection to the family Eugene needed to manifest. Eugene only got to see Shojo because he ganked a Calling spell. So I doubt Eugene can make any direct impact on the world anymore, even contact it anymore for that matter.

ThePhantasm
2012-02-27, 10:18 AM
Eugene has not been able to manifest to Roy since his sword broke. And since his sword was fixed with Starmetal, I believe its lost its special connection to the family Eugene needed to manifest. Eugene only got to see Shojo because he ganked a Calling spell. So I doubt Eugene can make any direct impact on the world anymore, even contact it anymore for that matter.

:roy: : And you - keep scrying on Xykon. Haunt me if he leaves Azure City.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png : Oh, absolutely, Roy. You'll be the first to know. [* (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html)]

Seems to me there is still an active connection. Or at least Roy and Eugene both think so.

MesiDoomstalker
2012-02-27, 10:44 AM
:roy: : And you - keep scrying on Xykon. Haunt me if he leaves Azure City.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g68/Cats_Are_Aliens/Banners/Eugene.png : Oh, absolutely, Roy. You'll be the first to know. [* (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0664.html)]

Seems to me there is still an active connection. Or at least Roy and Eugene both think so.

They both think so. Think is the operative word here. There is no evidence that he can now. I admit that the lack of evidence is not evidence agianst but until its proven that Eugene can still haunt Roy, the possiblity he can't is still an option. And another thing to think about. Eugene had to give a cryptic clue as the only way to help Roy. I doubt he can just pop in and say "Xykon is on his way and blah blah blah." He will probably have to be more roundabout it.

lorddrake
2012-02-28, 09:25 AM
Well, the guy from 357 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0357.html) has green magic and has a runic simbol on his face (conspicuously similar to the Draketooths')

And Roy's sister has also green aura when casting...

EarFall
2012-02-28, 11:13 AM
aCTUALLY IT WAS NECESSARY TO PUT AN EYEBALL AND PUPIL THERE TO MAKE IT CLEAR IT WAS AN EYE. tHE BLACK SPOTS ON PEOPLE'S FACES ARE EYES DUE TO PLACEMENT, WE NEEDED MORE DETAIL TO KEEP THE SCRYING (sorry, had caps key on and didn't know) from just being a black ball and having everyone go "What's that black ball doing there?"

LOL really? You had caps lock on, saw it, and wrote a comment about it instead of just changing it?

Willis888
2012-02-28, 12:06 PM
Also, how is it a plot twist or anything significant if it is Eugene? It goes without say that he's watching the OOTS.

It would mean Eugene is in league with the Linear Guild. He doesn't think much of Roy's pointy stick, so maybe he wants to manipulate another caster into a confrontation with Xykon.

veti
2012-02-28, 03:01 PM
LOL really? You had caps lock on, saw it, and wrote a comment about it instead of just changing it?

Yeah, I've tried to post from a smartphone too. Basically, *anything* rather than retype.

But back to the subject at hand: Eugene doesn't need a scrying eyeball to watch the Order, he forms a pool out of clouds. Since this mechanism has been used on the party at a time when it included both V and Durkon, I'm thinking it doesn't create any detectable magical trace locally.